PDA

View Full Version : lift pump flow

MissSpentYouth
29-10-2016, 12:20 AM
Hi, I have a 2.0 TDi 2005 111k miles which didn't want to start from cold earlier having been left facing uphill for a week. When I tried to start it it nearly went then coughed and stopped. Then it sounded like it was firing on just 1 cylinder whilst I cranked it over to no avail. I tested the flow from the lift pump at the input to the fuel filter when turning on the ignition on and got a good squirt of fuel but doing the same test on the return after the fuel filter I only get a fraction of the amount not much more than a teaspoon. It has a new fuel filter I would have expected about the same amount ? How much fuel should I expect on the return for one turn of the key about the same as going into the filter about 3 table spoons worth ?

The car has a good battery and would not even start on a jump start from a running car with great jump leads so not the battery and it also has a new starter motor, tried disconnecting the temp sensor no change, throttle flap not jammed shut.

Squirted some easy start up the throttle flap valve and she struggled into life then ran perfectly, I have now parked her the other way round as an air leak in the fuel lines can cause the fuel to drain back to the tank, but would have thought the lift pump would fix this.

Suspect my lift pump is dieing and cant pump any pressure ?

No codes reported on VAGCOM

MissSpentYouth
31-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Checked my wife's 1.9 tdi golf as it looks like the same setup and hers was the same, think the tandem pump must be quite restrictive giving a reduced flow on the return. Started the car today it having been left a few days facing downhill and it started OK but was a bit chuggy for a couple of seconds..... bit mystified as to what it is.