PDA

View Full Version : Coolant system renewal!

Pernicitus
20-10-2007, 07:02 PM
OK so the time has come I think to renew the coolant in my car.

Problem kinda started when I saw that I had a coolant leak! One of the metal pipes in the cooling system has rusted through and is leaking coolant.

I have bought a new pipe + some new seals from the local VW dealers. I intend to
1. Drain the system,
2. Flush the radiator out also
3. Remove and replace faulty pipe and seals.
4. Reassemble everything and refill with coolant

The question I have is "How much coolant does a mk3 gti 8V take?" I cant seem to find that information anywhere? I think its G12 coolant I get and I mix it 50/50 with distilled water (does it have to be distilled? will bottled mineral water do instead?) Not sure about this part, but what is the total volume of coolant mix the car will take?

Oh one last point! Er... Anyone know a good way to clean coolant marks from inside the engine bay?
Alot of questions, I know :Blush:

Any help? :1zhelp:

Crasher
20-10-2007, 07:41 PM
It is roughly a six litre system so as G12 comes in 1.5 litre bottles... I would recommend you use G12+.

Pernicitus
20-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Cheers nice one crasher!

G12+ you say? So what are the advantages of using "+" and not using?

Crasher
20-10-2007, 08:42 PM
G12+ mixes with anything if it has to whereas G12 won't mix with G11 and it is a "For Life" fill whereas G12 should be changed every two years. It is also more environmentally friendly.

Pernicitus
21-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Very cool!
Its G12+ for me then ;)
I suppose I can get distilled water from the dealership as well, Ill call into them on monday.

Now I still have to figure out how to remove the coolant marks from the engine. It looks terrible at the moment, Pinky stains!

Any tips on the best way to remove it? It seems eaten in like acid!

Cheers anyway

Crasher
21-10-2007, 04:33 PM
It is evil to get off.

Pernicitus
22-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Happy days!!!
I got the use of a pit in my friends garage today. Removed all the hoses, flushed the radiator. I had some problems with removing the old metal pipe that had rusted through. The rubber pipes, did not want to come off there!

Some hot water, a heat gun and alot of gental persuasion got them off and the rest was easy.

Refitted everything and refilled the water + coolant (G12+) :D and all is happy days!

I still have to scrub away the old G12 leakage marks but I'm happy with todays progress!

Thanks again crasher