PDA

View Full Version : Stop / start cutting in early

RhysoTDI
28-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Got a Nov 2011 3.0TDI Quattro and the stop / start system isn't working as it should, or rather not consistently

There are some instances where it cuts in BEFORE the car stops. In other instances I have not pressed the brake pedal hard enough to engage the system and it still cuts out. Being a pre FL car I know mine is NOT supposed to cut out before stopping like on the latest Ultras

does anyone else suffer / have suffered this probelm?? I've tried looking in VCDS for the measuring blocks but I can't find them. I know i cam disable it permanently but I want it working properly if possible

Cheers
Rhys

RhysoTDI
30-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Anyone??? :(

nevbadger99
30-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Mine will stop once I get below about 3mph, how early is yours stopping?

RhysoTDI
30-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Mine will stop once I get below about 3mph, how early is yours stopping?

Around that or slower. It does it with minimal pressure on the brake pedal; I'm literally resting my foot on the pedal rather than pushing down on it

It's very inconsistent as to if it cuts in before I stop so approaching roundabouts and junctions etc is becoming a bit of a hazard, especially as the power steering and all cuts out too!

nevbadger99
30-10-2016, 12:02 PM
That doesn't sound good - sounds too early, I agree with you.

RhysoTDI
30-10-2016, 12:09 PM
That doesn't sound good - sounds too early, I agree with you.

indeed. My understanding for my year of car is that I AM the one that dictates the stop / start with the amount of pressure on the brake pedal; its 2 stage, a bit like the accelerator pedal with the kick down switch

i can only assume it's possibly the brake pedal switch but I can't find the measuring blocks in VCDS to try and monitor it :(

pany
30-10-2016, 02:04 PM
I've had similar happen a few times. Pain to get the car started again, and only happened in lots of traffic.

belly buster
30-10-2016, 05:11 PM
I've had similar happen a few times. Pain to get the car started again, and only happened in lots of traffic.

I know the newer cars are a bit more aggressive in kicking in earlier, but a 2011 model should not cut out until stationary.

hshah
31-10-2016, 06:57 AM
My 2013 A6 was perfect and only cut out when the brake was firmly pressed after the car stopped. My 2015 one cuts out when still moving and with light pressure on the brake.

MC09PJC
03-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Hi..

I was only talking to a colleague at work about this last night. It's my only bug bear about the car. I have the FL edition and whilst in traffic slowing down it cuts out and the steering goes hard. I personally think it's dangerous for the engine to cut out whilst the car is still moving.
This has happened at junctions, roundabouts and traffic lights at a point where you know you won't stop and need to keep travelling but just slowing down. Then theres a pause before the engine fires back up because you have now accelerated because the lights have changed or you see a gap to pull into.
My personal view is the engine should not cut out until the car has come to a stop, which could easily be detected by the ABS system.

Will keep an eye on this thread as it is one of the interesting ones

Thanks

Martin

diecastsink
03-11-2016, 05:47 PM
My MY12 stops too often but not until complete stop. Had a fresh spanish A3 rental car in April and twice nearly hit a concrete barrier due to engine cutting out while still moving. Very dangerous, indeed. Probably designed by a SW nerd who never uses a car...

robes401
04-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Rhys - just wondering if you have had a software upgrade? It sounds like you car is doing what post FL cars do...

RhysoTDI
04-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Rhys - just wondering if you have had a software upgrade? It sounds like you car is doing what post FL cars do...

It did have a new gearbox a month prior to me buying it

It's not behaving as per FL's though as it only requires light pressure for the system to kick in and even then I couldn't predict when it would actually do that!

The system seems to behave itself if I'm braking uphill; on the flat and downhill it's hit and miss as to what will happen!!

Lazyoaf
04-11-2016, 11:57 PM
my 2016 cuts out before a complete stop fairly often. takes out the power steering when it does, which is annoying. Poor implementation of what is made quite slick on other manufacturers models.

noogman
07-11-2016, 12:42 AM
I suggest you all have this ru....ish deactivated. Less headache and less problems with engine still the same fuel consumption. regards

nevbadger99
07-11-2016, 09:26 PM
still the same fuel consumption.

Just out of interest how do you reckon it would not reduce fuel consumption? I guess if you were only stopped for a couple of seconds the restart would use more energy than it saved but if it's stopped for a while surely it must save?

noogman
07-11-2016, 10:48 PM
you will save very little on fuel. but then you will need to spend those money on another parts of the car like starter etc. New technology is not good for the cars it is only good for environment. All up to you. I have my deactivated and I am happy with fuel consumption

zollaf
07-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Just out of interest how do you reckon it would not reduce fuel consumption? I guess if you were only stopped for a couple of seconds the restart would use more energy than it saved but if it's stopped for a while surely it must save?
if you are stopped for a while in a traffic jam, you can always turn the engine off yourself to save fuel.

Lazyoaf
09-11-2016, 08:55 PM
In other words he doesn't know. And when was the last time anyone needed to replace a starter motor?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk