PDA

View Full Version : Only Space saver spare on new models

mike6265
27-10-2016, 12:00 PM
I understand new models no longer have a full size spare wheel - only a space saver.
I do not mind buying a spare full size but is the spare area still large enough to fit a full size spare?
Thanks, Mike

Sam
27-10-2016, 12:24 PM
(Non) variable boot floor - GT spec. estate (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/176026-(Non)-variable-boot-floor-GT-spec-estate)

The above thread suggests the OP has a full size spare.

mike6265
27-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the link though it looks as if it will soon become not an option even with modifying the tool kit etc.
If this is the case I will have to decide on a different next car.
How on earth can one cope with a puncture or tyre problem hallway across France without a suitable spare? (the boot will be full up with no room for an extra wheel)

Someone told me his friend with a Porsche had a space saver wheel, got a puncture and after he had put on the space saver had nowhere to put the full size wheel. He had to hide it behind a hedge and retrieve it later! (probably just a story)

Mike

fm_carv
27-10-2016, 01:31 PM
The puncture kit they provide is enough to take you to the nearest garage imho, last thing you wanna be doing on the side of a busy road is to be changing tyres for obvious safety reasons

Sam
27-10-2016, 02:31 PM
If this is the case I will have to decide on a different next car.
How on earth can one cope with a puncture or tyre problem hallway across France without a suitable spare? (the boot will be full up with no room for an extra wheel)

I do know the Superb has a full size spare for an extra £250 (£100 for the wheel, £150 for the variable boot floor option) and you get a lot more car for your money.

As fm_carv says, I think you are expected to use the spare/repair kit to limp to safety only. Madness if you ask me., there's no dark art in changing a wheel, it should be taught and encouraged.

Someone told me his friend with a Porsche had a space saver wheel, got a puncture and after he had put on the space saver had nowhere to put the full size wheel. He had to hide it behind a hedge and retrieve it later! (probably just a story)

Mike[/QUOTE]

mike6265
27-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks fm carv I agree about not changing the wheel on the side of a busy road. However halfway accross France it is not easy to get a puncture repair or obtain a new tyre. Even with a space saver wheel the speed is limited to below 50ish. My wife and sister had to return from Bristol with speed limited temp repair tyre to 50ish which on a motorway has its own problems.
Mike

jimgironde
27-10-2016, 08:11 PM
My 66 plate 150GT estate came with full size spare as standard, one of the factors in going for that model. The spec is still current.

MattB247
28-10-2016, 09:09 AM
My 2015 R line with optional 19's has a full sized spare. I guess it's model dependant.

P Adams
28-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Same here with my 2015 GT saloon - full size spare with Oxford 18" alloy. One of the many reasons why I went for the GT

MattB247
29-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Space savers are one thing, the problem with a gunk'n'pump repair kit is that it's only good for specific, small punctures in certain areas of the tyre - get a nail in the outside of the tyre, or clip a curb and get a puncture in the sidewall and it's useless. Even if you do have a small puncture spot on in the middle of the tyre that your gunk kit fixes, tyre companies refuse to clear out the gunk and will insist on selling you a new tyre, so that tiny nail could cost you £100+.

mike6265
29-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks jim, Matt and P Adams
Recently I checked on-line the VW Specification for the GT and it showed it had a full size spare wheel. The other day I had reason to talk to the local VW Dealership and asked the salesman about the spares provided. He said now they only had space savers. However I took this with a pinch of salt and checked on-line but nowhere can I find any details of a spare wheel (space saver or full size). This is strange as it was certainly there a few months ago.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
The car I hope to get will be the GT (as long as there is a full size spare).
Mike

jimgironde
29-10-2016, 08:22 PM
download the price list PDF from the link below. It is dated 4 Oct and go to page 9 and look at the GT spec

Passat Brochures & price list : Volkswagen UK (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/passat-viii/which-model/brochures)

I have found the price list more accurate than either the brochure or the dealer!

mike6265
30-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Thans jim. From the Brochure it would seem it still has a full size spare. Phew!
Mike