PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried to update the SD card with the latest MAP release?

vince47
25-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Having had my SE Business passat for a year now, I thought there may be a new map update. ( I have the standard Discover Media GEN2, not discover Pro)
Having looked at the VW site there is indeed a May 16 update and there are 3 ways to get it
1. You go and buy a new SD card from vw if money no object
2. You go online and download 13GB from VW
3. You download the discovercare app, where the uk only data is only 750MB if, and only if you have discover PRO

Option 2 and 3 are free and opt 3 is quickest. However Discovercare (V1.0.1, the only version) doesnt work properly for me.
It doesnt recognise my SD card as being a genuine VW card, which of course it is,
It then forces me to take the option of putting in model=passat, year=14 on, whereupon it auto selects Discover Pro and yes there is an update. If I select Discover Media(Gen2 or 1), no updates

I rang vw Customer care and basically he made a note that the 'app' called Discovercare doesnt work and you'll have to do option1 or option 2. Not impressed, but havent the time to complain.
I havent noticed any posts about map updates so I thought I would post my experience in case it helps anyone who has the std Discover(Gen2) that comes by default on most models.
I have started downloading the 13 x 1GB sections of the May 16 maps and have saved the original contents of the SD card just in case there are more bugs. My broadband isnt superfast so I will download the sections over a few days

ismart
25-10-2016, 04:42 PM
I've updated a number of times. Just downloaded the files, uncompressed them and copied over to the card as per instructions.

Have to admit I was a bit cautious, so I bought a VW map card off ebay for about £20 and used that instead.

They don't seem to change much though, Wales has been spelt incorrectly for J18 of the M4 for the last few revisions and it still thinks that Stroud is south of the M4 when providing directions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vince47
25-10-2016, 05:53 PM
I havent got as far as reading the install instructions as I am still downloading.
RE "Have to admit I was a bit cautious, so I bought a VW map card off ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/) for about £20 and used that instead."
I take it the above means you tried the update on that one first, it worked, so then you did the vw card or perhaps just used the ebay one?

ismart
25-10-2016, 06:43 PM
It worked fine, so I have continued to use the ebay card and left my original intact. The one off ebay was a genuine VW identical to the one in my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itavaltalainen
25-10-2016, 06:46 PM
I updated my Golf MIB1 unit lots of times - simply download, extract, copy to VW SD. Insert and happy days....

No stress involved whatsoever :)

P Adams
25-10-2016, 10:34 PM
I updated my Golf MIB1 unit lots of times - simply download, extract, copy to VW SD. Insert and happy days....

No stress involved whatsoever :)

Same here with my 2015 GT saloon with DiscoverMedia head unit