PDA

View Full Version : Question Breaking in a new engine

cowcatcher
21-10-2016, 06:31 PM
We've had our A1 Sline TDi since 1st September (picked it up a midnight[emoji41]), and the car has now edging towards 2000 miles on the clock. My wife drives it mainly on motorway journeys commuting to work 3 days a week and then usual running around at weekends. It's now started to 'loosen up' a bit a feels nippier than when we bought it. Is there a typical breaking in period before the engine runs at full potential? I've heard that the ECU on VAG engines doesn't release all the BHP until the engine has got 'x' amount of miles on the clock. Is this true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zollaf
21-10-2016, 07:06 PM
modern engines combined with fully synthetic oils usually never actually fully break in. the rings never actually wear to the bores properly which is the main part of breaking in. fully synth oils are that good they just dont allow the wear required. i bought a discovery a few years ago, 85k on the clock and fully synth oil used from new, changed every 3k and it felt tight as hell. i ran it for 20k on semi snth oil and it finally loosened up after some proper thrashing. my current audi 80 hadnt proeprly bedded in at 305,000 miles, just the bores glazed over from being driven too frugally. i rebuilt the engine, glaze busted the bores and fitted new rings which took only 20k to bed in this time.

cowcatcher
08-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Now got over 4000 miles on the clock and runs nicely. Very nippy and great fun to drive, when I actually get an opportunity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk