PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0 TDi Hot Starting problem 2005

MissSpentYouth
20-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Hi All,

Common problem on these cars usually, starter motor or failing battery, possibly coolant temp sensor but I just had a breakdown due to faulty Chinese inlet flap valve / anti judder valve / throttle butterfly.

Anyway nipped into Toolstation came out 5 minutes later car cranks over but doesn't fire not even a cough. Put some high quality jump leads on and the engine is racing round as I have a good battery and the leads are lorry spec engine still dead

Disconnect temp sensor no difference.

Long walk back to work :-( and then back again later hoping now it was cold it would start no such luck.

Thought I would have a go with some easy start up the intake, took off that big front hose that fits onto the underside of the inlet flap valve and stuck my finger up to check the valve was wide open. It was completely closed .....

I only fitted it a few weeks ago as my last one had shorted out internally which blows that fuse that stops the main fans and air con fans running, well know fault.

The OEM valve is expensive so I was tempted by a shiny Chinese one from eBay, not such a good choice in hindsight.

Anyway manged to push hard on one side of the valve and it dislodged itself and span round to the wide open position, car started up first turn :-)

So I will be pulling that butterfly valve out tonight checking were it is sticking and filling it down a bit.

Those cheap shiny Chinese parts look so tempting and the quality looks great but I am not sure they major or testing or durability, I have just replaced a track control arm that looked very new with perished rubber bushes in it, bet it was only a couple of years old, thinking about it had the same problem with some drop links .....

Anyway if you have the same problem as me whip that hose off and check the valve is not closed off, might save you a long walk. If you struggle to get the hose back on you will need to get some vasolene or silicon grease on the rubber O ring at the top. If your stranded car will run with the O ring removed but it doesn't run very well.

cheers Ben