PDA

View Full Version : Help Good Advice Needed!!!!!!!

philbee
20-10-2007, 02:54 PM
:1zhelp:
Hi All

I have a 2001 130TDI Passat Sport Estate that I've had for two years that has now got 140K on the clock. It had been breathed on big time by Jabbasport of Perterborough by the previous owner, boosting its power from 130bhp to 192bhp! This gives it great torque but also an inclination towards clutch slip in 5th and 6th gears. The clutch slip has got progressively worse so that it now affects 3rd and 4th when accelerating. Obviously I do need a new clutch but also obviously the standard clutch is not up to the job.. Can anyone out there point me to somewhere where I can get an uprated reliable clutch, please?

colb666
24-10-2007, 06:55 AM
The standard clutch as fitted to your car will handle the power but,what people try to do with mapped tdi's is make the engine pull low down the revs.ie from under 2k rpm and you'll feel the clutch judder as it bounces off the flywheel.Rule of thumb is just don't do that and you'll have no bother with the new clutch at all.

I'm on my 7th VAG tdi and all have been remapped at between 180-195 bhp with torque figures as high as 315lbft and have only replaced a clutch once (which was down to my ignorance and not a mechanical problem)

Pauloz
25-10-2007, 02:42 PM
The standard clutch as fitted to your car will handle the power but,what people try to do with mapped tdi's is make the engine pull low down the revs.ie from under 2k rpm and you'll feel the clutch judder as it bounces off the flywheel.Rule of thumb is just don't do that and you'll have no bother with the new clutch at all.

I'm on my 7th VAG tdi and all have been remapped at between 180-195 bhp with torque figures as high as 315lbft and have only replaced a clutch once (which was down to my ignorance and not a mechanical problem)
OE clutches/flywheels are designed to cope within a narrow torque band - otherwise the pedal is too hard as standard, and vibration damping ineffective.... as you say with the DMF. That being said, if the clutch youre on now has lasted even just the 2 years youve had it, its done well!
One a clutch has started slipping, it will quickly deteriorate. Once the friction lining is damged, it never gets better, only worse.
A new OE clutch could well be fine - but i'd replace the flywheel at the same time. Otherwise theres a company called Helix Motorsport in Banbury who buys OE clutches and beefs up the clamp load and drive straps..... not sure if he'll cover a TDI Passat or not, but worth a try.