PDA

View Full Version : Auto box reliability.

Harcrid
16-10-2016, 04:10 PM
Hi guys.

I am changing my car and looking to get a 2012 A6 diesel auto. Are the multitronic boxes really as bad reliability wise as I read online? I drove one yesterday and was happy with the performance and drive of it, but it looks like they may not be the most reliable gearboxes. Would be interested to hear from your actual experiences before pulling the trigger. I know that searching for problems online you will inevitably find the horror stories so why not ask people who actually have them!

Thanks!

jcdub
16-10-2016, 05:34 PM
I've had 3 A6 multitronic models. One A6 C6 model and 2 C7 models. One being the 2.0tdi and at present a 3.0 204ps model. All have been faultless. But it depends on if it's been serviced regularly too. There are horror stories out there regarding the multitronic box, but they would generally be the A6 C5. I think the multitronic is slightly better suited to the 3.0tdi than the 2.0tdi. Personally I feel cars like the A6, 5 series and E Class have to be bought as an auto :)

P.S I see you're from Ireland. Living in Drogheda if you'd like a spin in my car if undecided

Harcrid
16-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'm from Tipp so a bit far for a casual spin! 😀

I agree that it has to be an auto. Have driven manuals mostly and it's time to go back to auto. It's my one doubt though about the A6 but if I can get one that has had verified gearbox oil changes it would help.

My other option is a 5 series but then they have timing chain issues. Three litre diesel auto A6 though is my preferred choice.

jcdub
16-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Well I have mine up for sale at the moment. It's a 12 model S Line, Daytona grey if you think your be interested. PM me if you think you'd be interested😋 lol

Harcrid
16-10-2016, 05:47 PM
I think I may have texted you this morning about it! 😀

jcdub
16-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Lol talk about coincidence! Sure you have my number if you decide to view it. Either way, good luck with your purchase

Lazyoaf
17-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Avoid the CVT box would be my only point. Not that they are unreliable as such, but nowhere near as smooth.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

KevTrem
17-10-2016, 09:48 AM
i bought my 2012 3.0tdi a6 with a multitronic box in February and love it, coming from manuals before that. When I bought it, it had done 54k and had had the gearbox service done at 38k which is when it was scheduled for. I have just had it done again with a major service of the engine at 67k. They say that the gearbox needs a service every 38k miles. Audi charge £175 to service the gearbox, im told its more involved than just an oil change.
Anyways I tow a 1400kg caravan with my car regularly and love how it drives.
Think the trick to them is get them serviced, but the stronic boxes need servicing too. If you find a car with good service history you stand a good chance of it lasting. Mine was an ex company car so went into audi for everything from tyres to windscreen wipers but is not as high a spec as a privately purchased car. Swings and roundabouts to me

Harcrid
17-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Thanks all for the input. I think a history of oil changes and a well treated car is key here. What tends to normally fail on them? Are we talking anything from minor to full gearbox replacements?

istate75
17-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks all for the input. I think a history of oil changes and a well treated car is key here. What tends to normally fail on them? Are we talking anything from minor to full gearbox replacements?

I think correct servicing is the key. I've had my 2013 2.0TDi S Line Avant Multi from new and I'm now at 76k miles and 3-1/2 years with absolutely no problems at all. I had the 'box serviced at 38k miles and it's booked in for it's second service this Friday.

It's incredibly smooth and I like the way the car sits at 1800rpm at 75mph on the motorway. I've got a replacement C7 on order for delivery at Christmas and that's auto too. Wouldn't go back to a manual now.

I agree with the comments about company cars having lower spec. Because mine is my own car I couldn't resist adding the extras when I ordered it!