PDA

View Full Version : Question 20 inch Rotors - which tyre is recommended?

GTIBitdi
15-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Have an A6 bitdi Avant, bought it second hand last year from main dealer.
The car has a set of 20 inch Rotors.
The dealer put a set of Kuhmo Ecsta's 255/35ZR 20 97 Y on the car, and maintained they were proper spec.
Have put up nearly 20k miles, and no complaints apart from they don't seem to offer much in terms of rim protection.

I was just wondering is there an Audi recommended tyre that offers some rim protection, with the OEM 20 inch Rotors ?

Gazwould
15-10-2016, 05:37 PM
What is the point of the Kumho 3.5mm rim protector ?

Rubbish tyres anyway , big protector - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 .

Guest 2
15-10-2016, 05:38 PM
I can highly recommend the Hankook Ventus S12 tyre. Have them 255/35/19 on my quattro A4.

Gazwould
15-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Hankook , hmmm , like it's sister , Korean tyres have an almost absent rim protector .

JamesMo
15-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Pirelli P-Zero - had them on both of my A6's good wear (25k+ per front set) there is a bit of a rim protector too

fest0r
15-10-2016, 06:41 PM
If it must be AO (OEM) the go for P Zeros:

Tyre Pirelli Pzero 255/35 R20 97Y XL, AO - Tyre Leader (https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/pirelli/pzero/255-35-r20-97y-336242)

IMHO I would pay the extra cash and go for Pilot Super Sports though:

Tyre Michelin Pilot Super Sport 255/35 R20 97Y XL - Tyre Leader (https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-super-sport/255-35-r20-97y-430152)

All models in the Michelin range have good rim protectors. Just in case you’re considering Bridgestone AOs I would recommend you avoid them like the plague ;)

GTIBitdi
15-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Many thanks for all the advice, I'll check out the Pirellis and the Michelins for sure.

Guest 2
15-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Hankook , hmmm , like it's sister , Korean tyres have an almost absent rim protector .

If you park correctly you don't need one. I haven't kerbed a wheel in 20 odd years.

Gazwould
15-10-2016, 09:52 PM
In a perfect world , but...

.. now and then you idiot who can't drive for toffee who literally runs you off the road .

Chap on another vag form with a A4 B8 3.0 TDI Avant end of last month over took and for no apparent reason the car moved to the right causing him to explore the offside kerb with both wheels .

He runs with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 but had the previous Asymmetric 2 which had a very generous rim protector , he claims if he still had the 2 there would be no damage .

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/karlthekarter/The%20Audi/Audi%20stuff/DSC_2156_zpsphy1ipvt.jpg

His previous Asymmetric 2 .

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/karlthekarter/The%20Audi/IMG_1705_zpsab079377.jpg

A6ian
16-10-2016, 08:50 AM
I've always recommended, and used Vredestien sessantas on my FWD's in the past, brilliant tyres. However my current 3.0 quattro was supplied new with Yokahama Advan sports, I'll be fitting the same when needed. they were good in snow too.

Gazwould
16-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Reviews (newest first) - Page 1

Given 61% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Superb MKII CR170 Manual (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
These Vredestein had covered just over 6000 miles in 2.5 years. I heard a knocking sound developing from the OSF which I could also feel through the the steering wheel. On inspecting the tyres, both fronts had developed a crack on the outer wall, and when the OSF wheel was removed, I discovered a huge bulge and 6 cracks on the inner sidewall. The bulge was clearly expanding and hitting the road surface as the rotational speed increased - there were actually signs of wear on the sidewall where this had been hitting the road!
The NS had one small crack on the outer wall but when the wheel was removed from the car, the inner wall it had 2 cracks, one of which was huge and another massive bulge. Neither tyres had run flat damage on the tyre inner which is not surprising as the pressures have always been spot on. There were probably 15000 miles left in terms of life, but had to get them changed immediately. I have never seen anything like this and have raised a warranty claim with Vredestein but I hold out little hope of them being supportive. Naturally, I'll never purchase Vredestein tyres again.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 24, 2016

Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 30,000 average miles
Dry grip was ok, but not outstanding, and wet grip was mediocre at best. To put simply, I didn't feel at all safe with the tyres fitted to the vehicle. The tyres are very noisy due in part to the aggressive tread pattern and the rather hard compound used in the manufacturing process. I have opted instead for Uniroyal Rain Sport 3 tyres as replacements. My overall assessment is that these tyres are better suited to countries where the overall temperature doesn't drop much below 15 Deg Celcius. I do not recommend these tyres for use in cooler countries.
0 - tyre reviewed on June 22, 2016

Given 54% (breakdown) while driving a Saab Automobile 9-3 305bhp 460nm FWD (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
I don't know if they've changed the formula recently but I don't get the previous reviews/hype about these tyres. Simply put they are worse than some mid-budget korean tyres i've used. The first 500 miles or so until they wore in were horrendous, squealing from normal traffic light pulls, lacking grip etc. Once they wore in they weren't so bad but never impressed me, dry grip was OK wet grip was bad, wear is very bad (5k miles on front and down to 4/5mm) and the rim protector is pathetic. Sure 300bhp from FWD is asking for a lot from the tyres but even when driven moderately I never liked them(TC kicking in constantly even when dry and floored in second gear, from standing start with TC off it makes a cloud show without using full throttle) , only in the corners/bends they did give good feedback and good grip straight line grip however left a lot to ask from. And once again, the wear is bad on these. Much happier with the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's.
6 - tyre reviewed on March 28, 2016

Given 93% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat CC (235/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 28,000 average miles
The Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas were already fitted to the car when I purchased it in September 2014 so unable to say how many miles they had done up to then. I changed the front two in July of 2015 before driving to Europe and just changed the two on the rear this month (February 2016) which had done at least 28000 miles which is what I have driven since buying the car so they have done more than that and they were still within the legal limit. I have been buying these tyres from Camskill on line, who have them at a great price, and I will continue to do so until stock runs out as I believe they are a discontinued model. I cannot fault these tyres (although to me they seem a bit noisy), I've driven them in all seasons in all weather without any problems. When in Germany last year I drove the car in excess of 100 mph for several hours and the car handled well so for me these tyres are very good.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 24, 2016

Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo XC60 (235/65 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 8,000 average miles
Great tyres, changed from conti lx contact and what a difference. Was always a continental fan but the difference was night and day.

Never let go yet, even with a two ton car and 175bhp and mine is the FWD version.

Cant recommmend enough, lasted me a year and around 8000 miles and now down to 3-3.5mm

Just ordered nokian zline suv as cant get my hands on more sessantas for a decent price.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 27, 2015

Given 73% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz (255/35 R18) on mostly town for 13,500 average miles
Bought some for the reasons when I bought the car. Soon changed the fronts from 'hong Kong specials' to match. Covered 13,500 miles and need changing (maybe should've done this 500 miles ago). Nice treacle pattern and not to expensive. Not amazing in the wet and I always have that niggle in the back of my one when 'making progress' especially in the tighter bends. All in all, I don't regret buying them but I will not be purchasing again. I will probably go back to michelins, Toyo's or maybe the kumho's which, although cheap(ish) seem to have excellent write ups.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 13, 2015

Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Porsche Cayman s (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
I bought these due to the possitive reviews left in this page. I have to say, for a fair price you get definitely premium tires. The grip is awesome on dry roads and impressively good in wet (more than I expected for this kind of design). The noise is good as zero and the confort is also excellent. But when you try to take very closed cruves at high speed, the grip isn't that good anymore compared to PZero's or The Pilot Sport I had before. When you start taking the close courve you will have to struggle a little bit until suddenly feel and see how the tires start to grip.
So there you have to be careful because you may oversteer. Still, I would probably buy them again because of the price.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 10, 2015

Splash
16-10-2016, 03:45 PM
In a perfect world , but...

.. now and then you idiot who can't drive for toffee who literally runs you off the road .

Chap on another vag form with a A4 B8 3.0 TDI Avant end of last month over took and for no apparent reason the car moved to the right causing him to explore the offside kerb with both wheels .

He runs with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 but had the previous Asymmetric 2 which had a very generous rim protector , he claims if he still had the 2 there would be no damage .

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/karlthekarter/The%20Audi/Audi%20stuff/DSC_2156_zpsphy1ipvt.jpg

His previous Asymmetric 2 .

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/karlthekarter/The%20Audi/IMG_1705_zpsab079377.jpg

A flange or rim protector can only protect from the lightest of glances given the mass of a car. At least the guy can get another ProRace 1.2 to match for a fraction of the price of his Audi alloys. That's why my winter setup is aftermarket. Rimstock also do their own refurb service if he can do without it - perhaps if/when he swaps over to winters.

whitter45
26-10-2016, 03:13 PM
P zero's here - did 28K on the fronts and the rears are still the orginal

Like Michelin but tend to be very soft

M1tchy
26-10-2016, 06:18 PM
P zeros for me too. Just done 23k on a set and they are all needing replacing now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CeeTee
26-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Had 1 !/2 sets of P Zero's and did some damage to my 20" Rotors but managed to get them re-done and found it very hard to live with the noise and grip from 6mm.
Have F1's now and very happy with, I think so anyway, the rim protection, grip and road noise, won't go back to original P Zero's and will stick to the F1's.

Widwow
27-10-2016, 12:13 PM
P Zeros on mine and at 27K, they look like they have 3.5 to 4mm left. They were swapped front to back at 20K. Wearing pretty well, and should be changing them, around about the next service in Jan/Feb.... Will probably change like for like.