PDA

View Full Version : DAB in new Passat

orangezorki
20-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to these boards and also VW, with a Passat SEL TDI 170 DSG on order. One of the things that swayed it for me was the Dynaudio soundpack, which I have ordered with the iPod connector. If only it didn't take at least two months for delivery!

Anyhow, I'd also like DAB radio if possible, and while it's not on the options list, VW UK's website lists a Blaupunkt Woodstock 54 radio as an accessory for the B6 Passat. However, it looks more like a complete headunit rather than an accessory.

Does anyone know if this would fit in a new Passat without messing with the current headunit/Dynaudio/iPod?

Thanks for any info in advance,

David.

forge197
20-10-2007, 05:33 PM
No idea on DAB but I have Nav, with Dynaudio and iPod it is awesome, do you "need" DAB by all accounts it's not got great UK coverage and doesn't lend it's self well to car use.

orangezorki
21-10-2007, 02:00 PM
No idea on DAB but I have Nav, with Dynaudio and iPod it is awesome, do you "need" DAB by all accounts it's not got great UK coverage and doesn't lend it's self well to car use.

I hear you, but I just thought that the extra stations might be nice. Out of interest, do you like the nav? - I just don't believe that any built in sat nav can be better than my £200 tomtom. But maybe that's just me being silly...

David.

forge197
21-10-2007, 02:36 PM
I used a Tom Tom in my Golf the car I got was ex-demo and had Nav already. I wouldn't have bought it with NAV but as it has it it's a nice feature.

The pro's are that it's integrated I don't have to worry about the battery going flat and it's always there, quite fast clear instructions and it works. I would actually now I have consider ordering a car with it in the future just the integration of the whole think makes it cool and it also looks nicer in the dash than the RCD300/500 too.

The con's you can't take it with you, probably slower to get updates on new roads thought the VW update disks don't seem as dear as others around £70 on ebay not sure of dealer price and to my knowledge no speedcamera database but that's not to much of an issue for me either.

I don't think it's better or worse it's a different solution.

Eckie
30-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I had a Woodstock DAB 54 in my passat - worked fine. There is a VW part for the stereo 'bit' in the dashboard which actually improves the dash (in my opinion). The stereo comes out and the hole is filled with a piece of matt black plastic (much as the RCD300/500 fascia) which has a rectangular hole for the Woodstock and a useful, deep, rubber lined shelf underneath. As I said, looks good.