PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan propshaft carrier bearing renewal??

vinndy
13-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Hi all
I'm a newbee to the forum and in need of some assistance if anybody can help.
I have a 2008 Tiguan 4 motion. The propshaft carrier centre bearing has gone and I have purchased a retro fit bearing instead of the the complete new propshaft. I am stuck with two things. The front of the propshaft came away easy enough but not the rear section. I have removed the three bolts but it does not want to budge. I tried then to do the retro fit with the aft section still in place but I cant see how to remove the CV joint, which is on the splines. I was expecting a circlip to be holding it in place but I cant see one. I have used a bearing puller incase its just a press fit but only a slight amount of movement.
Where am i going wrong. I think if i can get the cv joint off then I could continue doing the repair in situ but it would all be sooo much easier if I could get the propshaft to the bench.
Very gratefull for any assistance.
vinndy

vinndy
14-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Just an update to this. I finally got the aft section off. I used a load binder to pull it off and that worked fine. I put the section in the vice and used a hub/bearing puller to pull the star of the cv joint off. This turned out to be just a press fit with no circlip. There was a copper ring in a grove near the end. Not sure how they got that in place as it looked like a closed ring to me. As well as the puller I also used a bit of heat and some gentle tapping. One it started to move then the puller did the rest.
Fitting of the new bearing carrier went OK once I found a suitably sized drift to tap it home.
The most difficult/awkward job was refitting the ballbearings in the cv joint. I got it in the end but coulnt describe how I did it. probably more by luck than chance.
I marked up the two sections and realigned them to those marks. I'm still not convinced that it is necessary to align them back up the same way when there is a wearable bearing in the middle. I would have thought that as long as each section is balanced then it should be OK. I took no chances though and the car drives well with no vibration.
This repair has saved me £1500 which is scandalous when the replacement bearing only cost £100. A lot of scaremongering by VW in saying that it cant be done without special equipment and then the risk of it being out of balance.
vinndy

thezerocool
17-12-2023, 03:46 PM
This turned out to be just a press fit with no circlip. There was a copper ring in a grove near the end. Not sure how they got that in place as it looked like a closed ring to me. As well as the puller I also used a bit of heat and some gentle tapping. One it started to move then the puller did the rest.
Fitting of the new bearing carrier went OK once I found a suitably sized drift to tap it home.

Thanks for sharing vinndy.

I believe they can assemble this incorrectly, I'm having the same problems you seem to be having.

I believe you are meant to hammer the bearing race down until the copper ring reveals itself, then remove the ring then use a puller to remove the race. However, mind will not hammer down, I wonder if it has been installed upside down and if I should just apply a larger puller or if I am going to destroy it horrifically.

I'm actually debating buying a new prop for £400ish, for all the hassle and the delay I'm not feeling the love for this parts design at the moment.

What would you advice be?

Crasher
17-12-2023, 04:14 PM
What is the VIN as from a quick look a genuine exchange recon “Cardan shaft” as VAG call it is £1400 + VAT?