PDA

View Full Version : Poor MPG 2.0 ultra

Rauf786
11-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi guys,
Been averaging around 29 MPG on my brand new A6 2.0 Ultra BE. It's only done 681 miles so far, is that the reason why? Also 90% of it is local driving but it shouldn't be that low?

What are you guys getting?

Widwow
11-10-2016, 04:05 PM
25.5K miles down, and getting 45 mpg, 50% motor way/50% country lane

Yours will be tight being so new, give it chance, it will stretch its legs.

I am pretty frugal on mine, in terms of mile munching, always in Economy and only really using Sport or Dynamic only when essential. I don't run any aircon, heated mirrors or similar... and I try to eek out every mile. The thrill of the new car has been hard to resist, but.... its gotta have it occasionally. :-)

I use the fuelly app, to track my miles/mpg - click the link below to see.

Lazyoaf
11-10-2016, 04:21 PM
29 in town is about right. Take it on a run and hold it at around 63. You should see 57 ish after a couple of mins on the short term computer view

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Eshrules
12-10-2016, 07:14 AM
25.5K miles down, and getting 45 mpg, 50% motor way/50% country lane

Yours will be tight being so new, give it chance, it will stretch its legs.

I am pretty frugal on mine, in terms of mile munching, always in Economy and only really using Sport or Dynamic only when essential. I don't run any aircon, heated mirrors or similar... and I try to eek out every mile. The thrill of the new car has been hard to resist, but.... its gotta have it occasionally. :-)

I use the fuelly app, to track my miles/mpg - click the link below to see.

sound advice.

Ignore the DIS, use brim>brim calculations to check your true MPG.

book figures for this car:

urban - 51.4
extra urban - 72.4
combined - 62.8

Source - http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx?vid=390791

I'd expect to see IRO 40mpg around town, depending on the traffic conditions and your driving style. The better you are at anticipating traffic lights, stops and all those fun things that sap your fuel, the better the return you'll see.

Some top tips can be found here - Top Fuel Economy Tips » Fuel-Economy.co.uk (http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/toptips.html)

ninjabob
12-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Could be stuck on an unfinished DPF regen. Are the fans running after you switch off? If so take it for a long run at 70mph in S mode or Manual 5th. Try to keep the revs around 2500 for at least ten minutes.

DPFs on AUDIs are not fit for purpose - as I found out!

Eshrules
12-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Could be stuck on an unfinished DPF regen. Are the fans running after you switch off? If so take it for a long run at 70mph in S mode or Manual 5th. Try to keep the revs around 2500 for at least ten minutes.

at 700 miles?

DPFs on AUDIs are not fit for purpose - as I found out!

DPFs annoy a lot of people (usually) because they buy diesel engines fitted with them and pootle around town all day every day - it's more an ill informed buying decision than a fit for purpose argument.

You wouldn't buy a fridge and wonder why it's not cooked your chicken for you.

ninjabob
12-10-2016, 11:11 AM
DPFs annoy a lot of people (usually) because they buy diesel engines fitted with them and pootle around town all day every day - it's more an ill informed buying decision than a fit for purpose argument.

You wouldn't buy a fridge and wonder why it's not cooked your chicken for you.

It's actually mis-selling - for "ill informed" read "not informed" by salesman at time of purchase. Who would honestly buy an AUDI diesel after being told it is not suitable for doing short trips around town and you could be faced with a £2600 +VAT bill!

A car is something that gets you from a to b and how you use that that car is irrelevant i.e. the AUDI diesel is not fit for purpose.

Bear in mind that AUDI are so confident their cars are going to get DPF problems that they don't even cover the unit under the 3 year warranty another thing I will guarantee salesmen are not telling prospective purchasers of diesel cars.

If AUDI are so confident that all their customers who purchase diesel cars are going to regularly not drive them for short jouneys in town then explain to me why they fit "Stop/Start" technology and default it to enabled. Useful stuff "Stop/Start" for motorway driving.

In my own case in four and a half years I had only done 26k miles - none of which was short journeys around town.

I have had a lot of experience with diesel cars in my time starting in 1978 with one of the first Granada Diesels and including Mercedes 240D, Rover 2400SD Turbo, Mitsubushi Galant TD, Land Rover Discovery TD5, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406, Mercedes C220 and my wifes current Smart CDI. None of which have caused me any issues.

I truly hope you do not encounter the problems I have encountered and the spectacularly indifferent attitude from AUDI GB but if you do and your faced with he kind of bill for repair you might reflect on your rather flippant fridge/cooked/chicken analogy.

Widwow
12-10-2016, 12:19 PM
With respect to the post above that said try 63 mph.... oh my, yes more miles per gallon for sure. But theres no way in hell I can do 63 mph all day. I cant get clear of the trucks, stuck in amongst those beasts is just demoralising. It might be ok to drive one, but to float along, leap frogging them is just heart braking... On the downhills they get half passed you, and then they are stuck when you hit the hills again, meaning dropping back and letting them in.

But that being said, it might make for an interesting week, just to se if I can get back to a 700 plus tank.... maybe 800... :-) lets see what next week brings :-)

Eshrules
12-10-2016, 02:07 PM
It's actually mis-selling - for "ill informed" read "not informed" by salesman at time of purchase. Who would honestly buy an AUDI diesel after being told it is not suitable for doing short trips around town and you could be faced with a £2600 +VAT bill!

A car is something that gets you from a to b and how you use that that car is irrelevant i.e. the AUDI diesel is not fit for purpose.

Bear in mind that AUDI are so confident their cars are going to get DPF problems that they don't even cover the unit under the 3 year warranty another thing I will guarantee salesmen are not telling prospective purchasers of diesel cars.

If AUDI are so confident that all their customers who purchase diesel cars are going to regularly not drive them for short jouneys in town then explain to me why they fit "Stop/Start" technology and default it to enabled. Useful stuff "Stop/Start" for motorway driving.

In my own case in four and a half years I had only done 26k miles - none of which was short journeys around town.

you say tomato, I say tomato.

I didn't say they're not suitable for doing short trips around town.

What I said was:

DPFs annoy a lot of people people (usually) because they buy diesel engines fitted with them and pootle around town all day every day

Of course how you use the car is completely relevant - you wouldn't buy (as a general example) a smart car and use it as an off roader. By the same token, most sensible people wouldn't buy a modern diesel engine fitted with a DPF as a town car. Not just because of the DPF you understand but most people know diesels take longer to warm then their petrol counterparts and so by the time you've got to operating temperature, your journey has ended - most of the time, city dwelling diesels rarely beat their petrol counterparts for economy and certainly not unless you reach that magic 20k p/a figure - which I suspect most would struggle to achieve purely running around town on short trips.

In regards to your question re stop/start - I'm guessing unless you live on the entry/slipway to a motorway, some stop/start city driving may make up a part of your commute. I think Audi rely on people giving the engine a good run regularly enough to help keep the DPF maintained in the way it should be. A decent run on the motorway is usually enough.

I won't open the proverbial tin of worms in regards to the other bits & pieces of a modern diesel engine that won't work too well for too long if used purely in town.

Like those pesky turbo things.

They're expensive to fix and I bet the dealer didn't tell you that either did he?

I have had a lot of experience with diesel cars in my time starting in 1978 with one of the first Granada Diesels and including Mercedes 240D, Rover 2400SD Turbo, Mitsubushi Galant TD, Land Rover Discovery TD5, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406, Mercedes C220 and my wifes current Smart CDI. None of which have caused me any issues.

Just out of interest, how many of those were fitted with a DPF?

I truly hope you do not encounter the problems I have encountered and the spectacularly indifferent attitude from AUDI GB but if you do and your faced with he kind of bill for repair you might reflect on your rather flippant fridge/cooked/chicken analogy.

Fortunately, I have no intention of owning an Audi - although I'm always open to options from the VAG stable. At any rate, I've run DPF fitted vehicles for the last 6 years, during which time I've covered 15>20k p/a, urban:extra urban 1:3 and I've had no issues so far. Although in fairness I wouldn't be paying for any repairs so I can afford to be as flippant as I like at the moment :naughty:

Eshrules
12-10-2016, 02:10 PM
With respect to the post above that said try 63 mph.... oh my, yes more miles per gallon for sure. But theres no way in hell I can do 63 mph all day. I cant get clear of the trucks, stuck in amongst those beasts is just demoralising. It might be ok to drive one, but to float along, leap frogging them is just heart braking... On the downhills they get half passed you, and then they are stuck when you hit the hills again, meaning dropping back and letting them in.

But that being said, it might make for an interesting week, just to se if I can get back to a 700 plus tank.... maybe 800... :-) lets see what next week brings :-)

Just as an FYI - (most) trucks are speed limited to 56mph, despite the limit being slightly higher.

I find sitting at 65 gives you enough movement to pass a truck safely without incurring the wrath of the middle lane hogging morons.

The only thing that's faster than that is a coach but I don't tend to see so many of those on the M60/56/62/6

Mansfieldmark
12-10-2016, 07:14 PM
I have 2.0 BE auto with 4.4k on it and averaging 47mpg. Always had it in Dynamic with bursts of sport. 50/50 mix of motorway v country roads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warthog21
12-10-2016, 09:12 PM
I still have a low mileage but record brim to brim. Quite light footed and getting as high as 48 but generally 42. However I find that every other day I have been getting a very low mpg on the DIS, typically low 20s and the other days as high as low to mid 40s. A good steady run at around 70 mph today gave a DIS of 51 mpg. Ambient temperature in this neck of the woods has not varied that much at low teens.

Lazyoaf
12-10-2016, 11:06 PM
The book mileages are garbage for all cars. But its been proven many times that the most inaccurate in the real world is the Urban.. Typically the others work out (real world) 15% - 20% overstated, but the Urban 20% - 40%.

Its not an Audi issue, but across the industry as a whole. My wife's Yaris on 15k miles gets on average 34 round town, but the "book" says 53.. You would need to live somewhere with no other traffic, no hills, no traffic lights, no nothing basically to get within even 80% of the book Urban numbers..

Ironically the problem exists with Full Electric Cars as well..

Eshrules
13-10-2016, 07:19 AM
The book mileages are garbage for all cars. But its been proven many times that the most inaccurate in the real world is the Urban.. Typically the others work out (real world) 15% - 20% overstated, but the Urban 20% - 40%.

Its not an Audi issue, but across the industry as a whole. My wife's Yaris on 15k miles gets on average 34 round town, but the "book" says 53.. You would need to live somewhere with no other traffic, no hills, no traffic lights, no nothing basically to get within even 80% of the book Urban numbers..

Ironically the problem exists with Full Electric Cars as well..

My current car books at 74 urban, 91 extra urban, 85 combined.

VAG often get slated for overstating their economy figures but they do seem to be one of the more 'accurate' manufacturers!

zollaf
13-10-2016, 09:52 AM
In the olden days a car would be driven by a professionally good driver and the mpg figures he obtained would be used. nowadays they are stuck on a rolling road in a laboratory and these figures are used. yes, no wind, no hills and perfect conditions. the figures are only as a guide to compare between cars and not figures that even a pro economy driver will ever obtain.

Phutters
13-10-2016, 10:05 AM
The figures are only as a guide to compare between cars...Exactly.

I don't get what it is about this that people don't understand. It's been that way for yonks now - all the manufacturers say it, and yet people still get all irate when their own car doesn't get anywhere near the figures on the sticker.

It's only my humble opinion, but sometimes I can't help feeling that people who buy a big, plush mile-muncher for its fuel economy and are then surprised by the lack of it might have had their priorities slightly askew.

Mind you, I might not be the person best qualified to judge. My own M.O. has always been to have a car with the biggest and most powerful engine I can afford to buy and afford to run.

Life's too short to be wearing hair shirts all the time.

wildbore
13-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I don't run any aircon... .

Hopefully a helpful comment:
Be careful that the fuel savings you make don't end up going towards the cost of replacing parts of the aircon system, which will inevitably fail at some point if your don't run it regularly (i.e. at least once every week or two).

I leave my aircon on all the time. It makes the car a more pleasant place to be in both summer and winter and, with modern systems automatically disengaging the compressor when it isn't actually contributing to the interior environment, they are pretty marginal in terms of fuel consumption, anyway. Also, an open window will use more fuel than having the aircon on in the summer.

istate75
13-10-2016, 03:50 PM
I still have a low mileage but record brim to brim. Quite light footed and getting as high as 48 but generally 42. However I find that every other day I have been getting a very low mpg on the DIS, typically low 20s and the other days as high as low to mid 40s. A good steady run at around 70 mph today gave a DIS of 51 mpg. Ambient temperature in this neck of the woods has not varied that much at low teens.

I've found the DIS on my 2.0TDi Multi S Line avant to be pretty accurate. Every few tanks I do a fill/fill check and it's normally spot on. I've now had 4 Audi's in a row, all from brand new. When new they are tight and the consumption is pretty poor (around 30 mpg) but it starts to improve once you are over 10k miles. Never anywhere near the claim consumption though.

I use my cars for work so they spend most of their time on motorways and dual carriageways, keeping the speed to around 75mph apart from where the roadworks are with the 50mph limits. I keep the drive select on auto, because I'm not sure if it makes much difference.

My current car does 45 mpg average (at 76k miles), which is the same as my previous C6 2.0TDi S Line avant manual. I think the multi box isn't anywhere near as efficient as claimed.

Next car is going to be a 3.0TDi quattro 272 avant BE. I'm expecting mid 20's mpg when I first get it.

Tripletrouble
14-10-2016, 08:03 AM
My A6 177 has had a remap. It now regularly returns an average of 47mpg over a full tank.
When I do a motorway run, which is quite frequent, at 70mph DIS is saying 55mpg. At 60mph, 61.7 mpg.
I recently did a 400 mile run, 200 each way on the motorway. Brimmed the car at the start and at the finish. Calculated MPG was 53.
That was driving between 60 and 85, depending what the conditions allowed.

johnsimcox
14-10-2016, 08:26 AM
My A6 177 has had a remap. It now regularly returns an average of 47mpg over a full tank.
When I do a motorway run, which is quite frequent, at 70mph DIS is saying 55mpg. At 60mph, 61.7 mpg.
I recently did a 400 mile run, 200 each way on the motorway. Brimmed the car at the start and at the finish. Calculated MPG was 53.
My consumption in both my previous A6 Avant 177 and current Avant Ultra 190 (both stock) are in line with those. At the weekend drove to Manchester and back (400 miles mostly motorway at 50-85 depending on conditions) and got mid 50s for the trip - and that included having roof bars on the car. During the week I do a 16 mile commute from near Heathrow into West London (a30 and a4) and get anything between 38 and 50+. Other than air temp and general congestion I have noticed that the consumption in the first few miles has a dramatic impact on the overall consumption for the journey. If I get caught by the 3 sets of traffic lights and the level crossing then my consumption for the whole trip will tend to be high 30s or low 40s,other times like this morning didn't have to stop at all and the consumption for the journey was just over 50. Overall after some 15k miles my consumption is just over 44mpg

Rauf786
14-10-2016, 10:21 AM
I've started driving locally on eco mode with a light foot and MPG has increased to high 30s. I think to get good fuel economy around town eco is the way forward.

ninjabob
14-10-2016, 08:34 PM

Power remap or economy remap?

Adamski_03
16-10-2016, 09:59 AM
My consumption in both my previous A6 Avant 177 and current Avant Ultra 190 (both stock) are in line with those. At the weekend drove to Manchester and back (400 miles mostly motorway at 50-85 depending on conditions) and got mid 50s for the trip - and that included having roof bars on the car. During the week I do a 16 mile commute from near Heathrow into West London (a30 and a4) and get anything between 38 and 50+. Other than air temp and general congestion I have noticed that the consumption in the first few miles has a dramatic impact on the overall consumption for the journey. If I get caught by the 3 sets of traffic lights and the level crossing then my consumption for the whole trip will tend to be high 30s or low 40s,other times like this morning didn't have to stop at all and the consumption for the journey was just over 50. Overall after some 15k miles my consumption is just over 44mpg

I have just changed to the 2L Quattro but had a 2L ultra saloon which returned an average of mid to high 40's on a daily commute of motorway and standing traffic. Did have it upto 61.3 in roadworks sat at 50 for 10 miles. So it will give better figures once its got a few miles under its belt. I did find that I got better figures in S mode which sounds daft but I put it down to me having to put my foot down less to get around much more responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tripletrouble
18-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Actually power, full original map out and new map uploaded into the ecu. Goes like buggery now, midrange shove is incredible from a 2 litre.
Not dyno proven but it's supposed to be 225-235 bhp. It's a far, far nicer car to drive.

Philipdayton
19-10-2016, 09:31 AM
My BE Quattro S-Tronic has averaged 34.2mpg from new (3.5K miles)
Not great but my commute is only 15 miles each way on dual carriageway and the car barely gets going.
On the longer runs i've had approaching 50mpg if i drive like a saint.

apologies in advance but I can't understand people who turn off climate control, heated seats, heated mirrors leave in eco all the time and drive like a granny.
If economy is your primary concern, why buy a massive 200bhp A6 with 20" alloys, elastic band tyres and all the toys??? Sorry, i just dont get it...
Admittedly the figures are not in line with what the manufacturers claim but then nobody's figures are.
If all your worried about is mpg, buy a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

zollaf
19-10-2016, 10:27 AM
even the mitsubishi isnt getting the claimed 154 odd mpg. what you want is a tiny polo or lupo with a tiny diesel engine..

MiniMental
19-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Lol. By calculating what I fill over a distance, my commute to work in Swindon is 33mile each way. I usually get about 50-55 mpg if I don't drive like a knob, but not like a granny either. Always at least maintain the speed limit except in heavy traffic. That in an 11year old Passat estate [emoji106][emoji106]

Lol

Elansear
21-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Hi Have been playing around this week to see which mode provides the best MPG and my conclusion is there is not a lot of difference with the exception of Eco. 2015 Sline ultra 2L S-tronic (face lift) with 5000 miles almost 1 year old.
A 10 mile local round trip, on roads 30-40 mph Auto gave 46mpg Dynamic 45mpg Eco 50mpg so aprox 10% better in Eco. Then a 140 mile round trip most of which was Motorway. Did not see the point in Eco as very little time off the gas due to constant speeds.
One way (70 miles) in Auto using CC most of the time at 70 a bit at 75 resulted in 52mpg on the return in Dynamic using CC at 70 for about 50% and the rest at 77 so was expecting a drop in MPG result 54mpg. !!!
The only thing with Eco is everything happens v e r y s l o w l y . Hope this is of help

2015 FL Sline 2L
2003 225 TT Coupe

whitter45
26-10-2016, 02:56 PM

is that calcuated by DIS or by you doing a brim to brim test

on a remap the DIS will be out to as much as 15% as its calculated on pulse cycles of the injector - a remap increases the fuel per pulse hence why the DIS will be inaccurate

whitter45
26-10-2016, 02:58 PM
average for me is 46 on 37k in a manual BE ultra and I do not hang about

biggest factor i have found over 2 years is outside temp - as soon as the temps drop so does the MPG - they absolutely drink fuel on cold start so if you drive like you normally would from cold you average will be screwed - need to take it very easy for the first 15mins based on the oil tenps as it takes that long to warm up

Lazyoaf
26-10-2016, 03:03 PM
All this brim to brim stuff, must be from people's experience of cars, from when Noah was a Lad. All the vehicles I've had in the last 10 or so years gave been virtually spot on between the litres used and the incar computer.
Bales of hay to the horsepower anyone?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

niedzial1983
27-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Im surprised that 2.0 returns so poor mpg .

My 3.0 tdi quattro tip tronic does this in the city .

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161027/cca58bd4434b540ca7106cecbe49cc9e.jpg

2006 Audi A6 3.0TDI quattro sline le mans | Daytona Grey Pearl

Mactech
20-11-2016, 12:20 PM
I must be doing something wrong! I have had my Ultra SE Avant for just over a month now, pre-owned with 30k miles on it.
After 1200 miles with me the indicated mpg figures appear to be spot on with the 'tank top up' figures. Long term is reading 54.5mpg.
On a decent run (but in very cold conditions) 66 mpg appears perfectly possible.
I'm quite sure that in milder conditions a journey of over 70mpg is likely. The car has already taken me over 800miles without refuel:o
The first two lines on the dash do not refer to the driver....;)

PADDCOMP
20-11-2016, 10:04 PM
I've had my 2.0 ultra SE S-Tronic for a few months from new, done about 800 miles. Had its first long run to the NEC and without trying I saw 58mpg, AC on heated seat, cruise control set to 85 other than in roadworks. Which is probably more than I've ever had on my previous cars.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk