PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Switch does not engage Starter

massauto
20-10-2007, 02:30 AM
I am considering purchasing a used 1997 Golf Jazz at a very nice price. 4 Cyl. 2.0 Gasoline engine. Automatic.

The problem is that when the ignition key is turned nothing happens. The headlights go all the way out when the key is moved to the car starting position. Guy that owns it says that he used to drive it around every week or so, but one day it just happened that it wouldn't start. A new battery was just placed into the vehicle. Could the battery still be the problem? Or does anyone have any advice on what else it could be. I've been told that it's most likely not the starter. Any hints on what to check for first?

Thank you.

Ron

stonedagain
20-10-2007, 09:02 AM
It could be the starter inhibitor switch on your transmission. Try keeping the key turned to the start position & jiggle the A/T lever at the same time.

massauto
21-10-2007, 04:05 AM
Just a follow up.

I pulled the starter and had the starter bench tested at my local auto parts store. The starter would not work.

I purchased a new starter and will install tomorrow to see if the problem is solved.

Thanks for the response.

Ron

massauto
21-10-2007, 04:07 AM
One more question though....

The new starter comes with a copper bushing with a warning that failure to install the bushing in the flywheel housing may result in damage to the starter and further non-starting condition.

Does anyone know whether there is already a bushing inside the flywheel housing that has to be removed or would this be a first bushing being put in?

Thanks for your assistance.

Ron

andrew.butler57
21-10-2007, 09:36 AM
the copper bush your talking about may not be fitted or if it is, it may be worn! make sure you fit the new one supplied, if you dont it will ruin your new starter and make a horrible noise when turning over the engine! good luck!