PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk 5. 1.4 Petrol 2005. No spark.

seftonbarn
10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
My golf won't start. I have tested for a spark at the plugs and have no spark. Here's what happened. I filled up with petrol and pulled away from the garage. 100 yards later I felt misfire and got the engine management light flashing. I pulled over after 200 yards and with the engine in idle the engine management light stopped flashing but remained on. I struggled home (5 miles) and turned the engine off at home and now it won't restart. One other thing that I have noticed is that when I turn the engine over the oil warning light and audio warning comes on (I don't know if this is related). Please; is there anyone out there that might have some ideas?

zollaf
10-10-2016, 06:14 PM
open the fuel filler flap and take a good whiff . does it smell like diesel ?

seftonbarn
10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the response. I can't say it smells strongly of either. But the fuel in the fuel rail at the engine definitely smells of petrol. Even if it was diesel, I tested with a fresh set of plugs and still didn't get a spark; surely I should still get a spark.

zollaf
10-10-2016, 06:47 PM
how are you testing for a spark ?
most breakdowns within 1/2 mile of filling with fuel are down to misfuelling. wet a rag in what comes out the rail and let it evaporate for a moment. any petrol will go quickly leaving derv which then smells.

seftonbarn
10-10-2016, 07:23 PM
To conclude my own post. I can't claim to have solved the problem myself. It was the friendly AA man. What had happened is that one of the coil packs had given up the ghost leading to the rough running. When I attempted the restart it blue a 20A fuse in the engine compartment leading to a loss of all power to the ignition system. Fuse replaced. Dodgy coil pack replaced. Now all good.

seftonbarn
10-10-2016, 07:26 PM
how are you testing for a spark ?
most breakdowns within 1/2 mile of filling with fuel are down to misfuelling. wet a rag in what comes out the rail and let it evaporate for a moment. any petrol will go quickly leaving derv which then smells.

I agree with your thoughts; it is a huge coincidence that the symptoms started immediately after refuel but as can be seen by my last post it was a dodgy coil pack leading to a blown fuse that was the problem. Thanks for your input though.