PDA

View Full Version : Led Rear Tail lights on B8 R-line Estate.

B8Liam
09-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Hello,

I'm a new member to the forum after collecting the keys to my new B8 Passat Estate R line this week. The car is absolutely stunning and I am very happy with my choice as I have never had a VW before and wasn't sure about getting one with all the negative press recently but the panoramic sunroof and active info display options they added for the MY17 were enough to tempt me!

My question to anyone who has a Passat B8 is, Do you have LED tail lights?

It says on the vw's UK website " All models of Passat have LED rear lights, while the higher-specification versions feature a distinctive horizontal tail light signature that switches over to a vertically oriented brake light signature under braking.

I ordered the £700 led headlights and assumed with the statement above that I would have the fancy tail lights also but it's not the case. Have we all been short changed, is it just me? Or is the R-line 150 not a high enough spec?

Many thanks
liam

P Adams
09-10-2016, 08:49 AM
My GT 150 saloon has LED tail lights but then I ordered the top of the range LED headlights. Not sure the standard LED headlight option comes with corresponding LED tail lights

B8Liam
09-10-2016, 09:38 AM
My GT 150 saloon has LED tail lights but then I ordered the top of the range LED headlights. Not sure the standard LED headlight option comes with corresponding LED tail lights

Would have been nice for for VW to actually state that in their brochures or Configurator! I might have gone for it if I had known it included the upgraded led lights but I was struggling justifying £700 on lights as it was, so definitely did not see the sense in shelling out £1200 for them.

Im very happy with the headlights though but imo these should be standard on a 30k car. They probably know full well that it will annoy people enough to shell out extra for them just like offering the car in only one colour with a £585 premium for any other and even at that, the couloir choice is dull and limited!

apart from that I love the car :biglaugh:

P Adams
09-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Yes, I know what you mean! I went for the DCC adaptive suspension and the premium LED lights on my GT as my drive is on some pretty dark, winding and rough A and B roads in the autumn and winter. After trying the LEDs at night on a loan car I just told my wife I had to have them. I had the standard GT sound system and nav package and haven't missed the nav pro at all which was in the loan car we had.

My wife has a B7 from new and she loves that and we've had a B5 and B6 previously. I love the ride and handling of my B8 especially on 18" coming from a B6 with 16" alloys. I also went for the Tungsten Silver. Enjoy your car Liam ��

fm_carv
09-10-2016, 09:09 PM
All Passat models have LED tail lights as standard what you can purchase as an option are the tail LED lights which have a darker sportier look to them and where the break lights change orientation, vertical I think....

B8Liam
09-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that. I have been unable to see that as an option on the options list in the Configurator but I have been doing a bit of detective work on the configurator cause it's Sunday and I'm bored!

it looks like the Upgraded led tail lights have nothing to do with the headlight packages available. It is specific to the model.

I have made several different configurations (only tried Estates cars) and the following trims get the upgraded led tail lights as standard,

GT
GTE
AllTrack

that means that the following models get the standard Led tail lights and they are not available as an upgrade option,

S
SE
Bluemotion
SE Business
R-Line

not the end of the world as the standard LED's are still very smart on the car and don't look out of place at all. You can get an oem led set for under £300 on EBay but imo that would be for nothing more than vanity as unlike upgrading your headlights, your never going to see any benefit on the road.

Whilst the r-line misses out on the lights, it does have the sports steering wheel, the body kit and r-line embossed seats so it's a trade off but if you really can't be without them, they are available online.

Hope this helps others who may have been scratching their head about why some passats have them and some don't.

P Adams
10-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Oh yes it's coming back to me now. My wife said when we ordered, VW said your GT will have different tail lights. I think it's a great car whatever lights are on it!

fm_carv
10-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Let's put it this way, I wouldn't pay extra to have the other variant of the LED tail lights...mine look just as good

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161010/5609f5f57a4bc2fdf68151af02fd3f48.jpg

B8Liam
10-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Totally agree. They don't look too shabby at all! ��