PDA

View Full Version : Is this ''too'' cheap? (Audi a4 quattro i won on ebay)

VtecJunkie
19-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Won this a4 2.8 quattro on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130164920646

It seemed quite cheap and i was just wondering if something this cheap should set alarm bells ringing? Or is that the going price for a facelift 1999 v plate a4 quattro?

What should i look for when i go down to inspect it (tomorrow or sunday)?

Cheers

RickT
19-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Just had a look at the advert..

Looks like you got it at a far price.. i would of only expected it to get about £3,700 - £4,8000 if it was on a forecourt.. The parkers guide may say a little more.. but you can pick up a 2002 B6 shAPE FOR £5000 NOW.. NOT THE SAME SPEC...

I think you have got your self a real deal there mate.. you never know with ebay.. maybe other people where not looking at the car..

word of advice.. as you will know..

Ensure you get as much service history as you can inclusing MOT's V5 logbook..

AND as you got it so cheap... get it HPI checked to ensure all is ok..

Rick

VtecJunkie
19-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Nice one Rick.. i cant believe what a bargain these cars are! I mean, i have just sold my 1996 honda civic vti for £2600 and in my opinion the Audi quattro is a far better vehicle- and i'm going to have change!

I was going for the 1.9 tdi but they go for loads and i couldnt justify spending an extra £1000+ when i do so few miles anyway. So im fine with 30mpg and a more powerful engine..

So it is quite cheap then, as in a good buy? Not so cheap i should be worrying?

I'll defiantely get it HPI checked and give it a good look over when i go to pick it up... anything i should look for in particular?

daledenby
20-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I think that people are put off by the insurance/fuel costs but i'm looking for a A4 quattro myself and i've had a fully comp quote of £340.My renewal quote for my A3 1.8 is £290 so only 50 quid more for the car i've always wanted is a bargain.

VtecJunkie
20-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Well thats there loss then! ..I got a quote to insure it for only £600 (i'm 21). So its not really that expensive! No more than my honda civic vti was!

I think that people are put off by the insurance/fuel costs but i'm looking for a A4 quattro myself and i've had a fully comp quote of £340.My renewal quote for my A3 1.8 is £290 so only 50 quid more for the car i've always wanted is a bargain.

JPQuattro
20-10-2007, 08:24 PM
2.8 V6 - "Gentleman's rocket ship"

Was tempted to get one myself but bought the tdi version for fuel economy

VtecJunkie
20-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Your a wise man! I was meant to be getting a tdi too, but when i saw the price i couldnt resist the better equipped gentlemans rocket ship!

I had my eye on a facilift 99 tdi with full cream leather and 120k but it went for over £1000 more. And when i thought about it, i only do about 5000 miles a year so it is not really sensible for me to get the tdi when i can save money getting the less sensible rocket ship- if that makes sense!

Anyway picking this up tomorrow, Im going to give it a thorough test before handing the cash over. Anything i should look for? Cant wait..

2.8 V6 - "Gentleman's rocket ship"

Was tempted to get one myself but bought the tdi version for fuel economy

JPQuattro
21-10-2007, 09:34 AM
This is the thing, a diseasal is only really worth it if you are a high mileage user. I do about 10000 a year so could just have got away with a petrol also.

Paid £3k for a 97 tdi avant quattro , fsh, 115,000, which I think was a reasonable price from a dealer

A4 TURBO
21-10-2007, 11:52 AM
if there nowt wrong with it i think you got a bargain a paid 6month ago for 1996 b5 a4 turbo £1800.00!!!!!!!!!! so at that price with that spec and power. you jammy git

JPQuattro
21-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I bought the car last weekend. I have had a strange noise from what appeared to be offside front area, which I have just sorted out - it appears there is an electric plug from the brake pads (which are new by the looks of it) which was dangling down and voila that was the noise.

The car drives well and is in very good condition throughout.

VtecJunkie
21-10-2007, 06:50 PM
THanks for the replies lads.. i have just got home from picking it up! Really love the car, it looks awesome and drives just as good. Whisper smooth v6 offers power throught the rev range. 4 wheel drive quattro sytem has endless grip... what a vehicle. I am well pleased with it... I couldnt find anything wrong with it and it has a full audi service history too! THe cambelt, tensioners and waterpump where all done at 86000 miles! and it has recently had another service.. i think i got a bargain :beerchug:

daledenby
21-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Nice one!I hope that i can find a good one too.

JPQuattro
21-10-2007, 09:25 PM
THanks for the replies lads.. i have just got home from picking it up! Really love the car, it looks awesome and drives just as good. Whisper smooth v6 offers power throught the rev range. 4 wheel drive quattro sytem has endless grip... what a vehicle. I am well pleased with it... I couldnt find anything wrong with it and it has a full audi service history too! THe cambelt, tensioners and waterpump where all done at 86000 miles! and it has recently had another service.. i think i got a bargain :beerchug:

Cool, well done on your bargain!

wid77
22-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice looking car. Very jealous. Well done mate.

docurley
22-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Nice buy my man the Airbag will prob be the connector and need the connectors fixed.

You can download a demo copy of VAGCOM and by a lead of ebay and reset it or the other way is to dicconect the Battery and reconnect but make sure you have the Stereo number or you will be locked out.

RickT
18-11-2007, 02:33 AM

Good stuff!!

Im glad you like it!!

How its running as its been a week or two now... still smiling every time you get in?

Rick

VtecJunkie
25-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi mate, only just caught your response! It's driving spot on and i've had it a few months now, the heated leather seats have been a luxury to use at 5am on this frosty winter mornings!

The only downside is the cost of fuel as i can't resist putting my foot down :Blush2: I am thinking of getting it converted to run on LPG though! What do you think, is it worth it considering my car has done 111000 miles now?

Also there is slight wear on the inside door handles, some of the finish has flaked off- does anyone know where ic an get some to replace them with or prehaps someone knows if they can be re-finished easily?

Will try and get some pictures up tomorrow as i plan on servicing her and giving her a good clean, polish and wax tomorrow-weather dependant.

Cheers,

Mike

jsmithee
28-01-2008, 05:28 AM
*quote Please note : Airbag light has just come on! Fault code indicates that the airbag on the side of the drivers seat will not fire, but will not affect any other airbags. *quote glad the car is good, i got a 1.8t from ebay bout 6 months ago cheap, and it is a great car. the above from the original ebay ad is ******** though. if the airbag light is on, all airbags are disabled. if you have not sorted this yet, it is probably the connector under the driver seat. disconnect the battery for about an hour (so the airbag will not go off). leave it disconnected, and undo the plug, spray wd40 in the contacts and reconnect the plug. reconnect the battery, clear the fault codes and you should be good to go.

VtecJunkie
30-01-2008, 09:13 PM
How do i clear the fault codes, or will disconnecting the battery clear them?

*quote Please note : Airbag light has just come on! Fault code indicates that the airbag on the side of the drivers seat will not fire, but will not affect any other airbags. *quote glad the car is good, i got a 1.8t from ebay bout 6 months ago cheap, and it is a great car. the above from the original ebay ad is ******** though. if the airbag light is on, all airbags are disabled. if you have not sorted this yet, it is probably the connector under the driver seat. disconnect the battery for about an hour (so the airbag will not go off). leave it disconnected, and undo the plug, spray wd40 in the contacts and reconnect the plug. reconnect the battery, clear the fault codes and you should be good to go.

jsmithee
31-01-2008, 01:58 AM
you need vag com or a obdII tool, the 15 quid shareware cables from ebay will reset the fault codes and airbag light.

it is good to have one on a recently purchased car anyway because you can see if there are any other fault codes stored.

as far as i know disconnecting the battery will not clear fault codes even if you leave it off for a week.

inertia
31-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Very good buy, I sold a 1997 2.8Q for £3500 only a year ago.

do you have pics ? they are missing form teh ebay listing.