PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Passat 130 tdi

fourringsrus
06-10-2016, 04:45 PM
Hi all, just trying to do a workmate a favour.
He has 2003 1.9 130 tdi, 120,000/140,000 miles saloon in a light metallic blue.
All servcied regularly, runs sweet and pulls clean and good
Not a dog but not mint
Has developed a crunch going into second gear, presumably a worn synchro, but is not prepared to spend on repair.
So what is it worth as a runner of sorts, with mot and recent suspension work and w/bearing done.
Dont know exact service history or mot length, but if anybody needs more accurate info details , ask away.
If anyone is looking for an average old bus which has been absolutely reliable for him over the last three or four years, just ask or pm me
The car is at New Romney, near Ashford Kent
Stuart

Gazwould
06-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Crunch only from cold ?

fourringsrus
07-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Apparently cold or warm, going up the box or down, I took it up the road and does not even work if you double declutch.
It just about goes in if you go gently but still crunches and only in second, which was why I felt it was synchro wear, but even double declutch would presumably overcome a synchro issue,so not sure if there might be a bigger issue in the box.
Apart from this issue the car drives really nice and still pulls like the 130 should,

MiniMental
07-10-2016, 07:39 PM
What reg is the car? 53 or 03? Mid 2003 they changed a lot on these cars, is it 5 speed or 6? I've just had issues starting in the same way. Resulted in me fitting a different gearbox yesterday. My forum posting about it is just underneath this one. Mines 5 speed. Was GGB, now FHN.

zollaf
07-10-2016, 08:18 PM
double clutching wont always work on a syncro box with a worn syncro unless the revs are matched perfectly. the gears like to mesh how a syncro meshes them and nothing else. sounds like a worn syncro but might be a totalled box. an oil change might help extend its life but i think he has about 600 quids worth of car there.

fourringsrus
10-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Yep I tried to explain double declutching to him, he didnt really get it, being a lorry driver of many ( too many ) years, I know how it works from a ton of experience, but as you say it didnt want none of it.
He asked me a couple of weeks ago about an oil change, but I believed at that time it was too late and suggested that it was probably a waste of time.
He had the oil changed anyway and then moaned that it had made no difference,
I also think the second synchro is finished so its nice to have somebody agree.
Do you know of anybody prepared to give 600 squids for the car, its an 03 plate 5 speed

fourringsrus
10-10-2016, 06:53 PM
03 5 speed

In reply to minimental

Coincidence that your username has 1st gear next to it

rowdy-999
10-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Fill with ATF and see how it goes. I did this on my pd130 6 sp, and it made the gearbox much better.

Gazwould
10-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Which exact ATF ?

And exact manual gearbox oil he had changed ?

rowdy-999
11-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Cant remember exactly which one. Nothing fancy. Just from a motorfactors.
I did probably 60k miles with it.