PDA

View Full Version : Question Tuning / maintenance on T4 2.5TDi ACV engine

defever
06-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Good morning forum users,

We are in the process of deciding whether to buy a '98 VW T4 Transporter with 2.5TDi (102BHP ACV) and 200,000miles on the clock!

I currently own A4 1.9TDi AFN for three years and I've learned so much about mechanics by doing some DIYs. Being a different engine size, I would like to ask few questions about ACV engine and immediate maintenance upon purchase (if we do decide to go ahead):

Cam belt is due, what else to service whilst the belts (I believe there are two) are being replaced? - The tensioners, water pump, cam shaft seal, thermostat, oil, coolant, filters (air, cabin, oil, fuel)... are there any other components to replace for a good measure?

The factory braided black vacuum rubber hoses are frayed: 3-4mm ID silicone a better replacement for this? I've done this on my A4.

I'm not sure if the turbo has been cleaned ever: Is it a DIYable job for turbo removal and physical cleaning? Again, I did this on my AFN turbo so I'm familiar with cleaning the turbo, but not familiar with 2.5TDi set up and how to get to it.

Diesel additive on this engine? I've been using home made mix of 2 stroke oil (low ash) + 2-EHN (cetane enhancer) on my AFN for less engine noise and bit of a kick. Do other 2.5TDi owners do this?

Remap: Will it be a physical chip swap in the ECU or via VCDS?

Hopefully I can get some idea before we decide to go for it, and I very much appreciate any thoughts or advice on ACV engine.

Many thanks as always and happy motoring!