PDA

View Full Version : Question Will the an Audi A4 Tdi engine fit into a VW beetle Tdi?

msstroud83
04-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but have a question on an engine swap.
Typically i have never really thought of doing anything with my family car as i have a VW T5 that i am spending money on but needs must.

My current family car (wife generally drives for school runs shopping etc) is a 52 plate Audi A4 avant estate, the car has many a mark over it now, rust showing through, parts and electrical failings. Engine wise its done 135k and still seems to be going strong (touch wood).

I have a friend with a 52 plate tdi VW beetle that's engine has given up on him.

What i was thinking is (in my less than technical mind) both engines are effectively the same so would the Audi A4 1.9tdi fit into the VW Beetle 1.9tdi?

I obviously would have both cars their to swap any parts over.

Does anybody know if this can be done and how simple it would be?

I wouldn't be doing the work myself, i have a mechanic friend with his own workshop that i would get to do the work, i just want to be able to ask him armed with the facts of if it can be done and what needs to be done.

The beetle would then be driven by my wife, the A4 estate was her first car 18 months back so would be nice to give her something smaller.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

msstroud83
06-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Anybody?

Or am i being simple...

Sam
06-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Welcome to VWAF and apologies no one answered your post :)

The A4 engine is longitudinal whereas the Beetle is transverse - unfortunately one won't fit in the other without a lot of work, if at all.

Have a look at Copart's stocklist, they have a site in Sandwich, you may find a half decent donor vehicle there.