PDA

View Full Version : A6 AVANT auto retracting parcel shelf

Rsheen
30-09-2016, 03:31 PM
My C7 Avant has a power tailgate and parcel shelf. When the boot is closed, the shelf seems to be an inch or so short of the tailgate so you can just see what's under the parcel shelf
i might be going made but I was sure this used to close all the way up to the boot lid. The shelf seems to travel all the way down its track and it is fitted correctly.
can anyone please confirm where the cover should be when tailgate is close. If there should be no gap what is going wrong? Is there a way to recalibrate the travel or is this just the way they are and my memory is playing tricks?
thanks

Widwow
30-09-2016, 03:46 PM
My C7 Avant also has the power tailgate and cover, but mine does cover all the way. What I did notice, is that if the powered cover hits anything on the way to the fully extended position it stops short, where it clips anything that obscures it. Last weekend this first occurred when I left a lid of a plastic box extended when I closed the tail gate. Rather than brush it aside, its stopped where it met resistance.

Be sure to check that when yours powers out, that it is not hitting anything. Additionally, it may be that the overhang of the cover might be hitting the back door and stopping. It may be where the warning triangle stows away in the back of the door? ensure that is fully located and not sticking out? I guess its a measure to prevent trapping or similar incase of anything in the way.

I am not sure/ I don't know if there is a recalibration element. I am a relatively new owner and no real practical experience with Audi's but hope what little experience I have can help you.

diecastsink
30-09-2016, 05:55 PM
After few years the end part after the fold line starts to sag, so there is an inch or two gap...

Lazyoaf
01-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Mine did this and all it turned out to be was one side of the shelf wasnt in its runner properly. Put it back and all Ok

Rsheen
01-10-2016, 10:18 PM
As I mentioned, the shelf appears to be fitted ok. I have now climbed in the boot and closed the tailgate. The motorised shelf carriers move the shelf lugs to the lowest point on the runners so they really can go no further but the shelf is still an inch or so from the door. The post explaining that the shelf can become a bit saggy over time seems to identify the cause. Pretty poor for a car with 12k on the clock. Not what you expect from an A6

clarethomer
02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
As I mentioned, the shelf appears to be fitted ok. I have now climbed in the boot and closed the tailgate. The motorised shelf carriers move the shelf lugs to the lowest point on the runners so they really can go no further but the shelf is still an inch or so from the door. The post explaining that the shelf can become a bit saggy over time seems to identify the cause. Pretty poor for a car with 12k on the clock. Not what you expect from an A6

Picked mine up yesterday as new and it had this issue. I asked the sales guy and he said that's how they are...... :mad:

Will be having a look later to see if there are any other issues which may be stopping it

clarethomer
02-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Picked mine up yesterday as new and it had this issue. I asked the sales guy and he said that's how they are...... :mad:

Will be having a look later to see if there are any other issues which may be stopping it

Just looked at my parcel shelf and it's in its tracks, no obstructions. There is like a plastic tooth which allows the parcel shelf to smoothly past but then stops it from going back when the boot is closed. To me, it looks like that needs to be a little closer to the boot door because if you try and pull the shelf a little further to close the gap, the length is there but the retraction wants to pull it back.. Looks like poor design to me....

jasonvaughan
06-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Agree just poor design as mine also stops 2-3 inches short of the boot.

johnsimcox
07-10-2016, 08:32 AM
..or simply design to stop the edge of the flap banging against the inside of the tailgate when driving on the UK's "billiard table smooth" roads

KevTrem
07-10-2016, 08:35 AM
..or simply design to stop the edge of the flap banging against the inside of the tailgate when driving on the UK's "billiard table smooth" roads

My manually operated shelf doesn't bang about with the roads.

Widwow
07-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Are there differnt types of shelf "material". The OP posts that his is quite floppy, yet when inspecting mine, it really is quite "stiff". ( I can hear the sniggers all ready :-) )
Mine is more a man made material, plastic/non woven type material, rather than a leather. So could it be the composition of the shelf material rather than a performance of the runner issue?