PDA

View Full Version : A4 Avant 2.0 190PS, S Line

manimal69
30-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Im new to this forum but just wanted to post with my experience of the new A4 Avant so far.

So the spec I went for was as follows:-
A4 Avant, 190ultra, Automatic, S Line Trim
Heated Seats
Panoramic Sunroof
Technology Pack
Electric Folding mirrors
Extended Interior LED Pack (An essential for only £100, it looks stunning!)
Privacy/acoustic glass

After waiting 8 weeks my Audi arrived, only to be told it was a manual!!! Obviously i was seriously p*ssed off and had a pretty tense meeting with the manager. So they had to re-order my Audi from scratch, but as an act of goodwill, they threw in the virtual cockpit for free! Every cloud has a silver lining I guess... (Plus it meant I got a 66 reg so will hold its value a tiny bit better).

So the re-ordered Audi arrived last week and I used it for work travelling to Oxford, Cambridge, London and Cornwall. And what can i say, its a beauty! In comfort mode it cruises down the motorways effortlessly. Although not silent, the noise levels are massively better than my 2013 Mazda 6 i had previously. Switch her into Dynamic mode and you get shorter gear ratios and more detailed steering feedback which makes country lanes a pleasure to negotiate.

I do a lot of long journeys, so for me the technology pack and MMI were a massive draw and I have been super impressed! Plug in my Iphone and instantly, taking calls and having text messages read out and then being able to dictate to reply via Siri, is awesome! I have become addicted to listening to Podcasts on long journeys, as they seem to pass the time much quicker. Although if you want music the array of DAB radio channels, Apple Music, Spotify or whatever you pop on your SD card or CD is more than enough. I was worried the sound system wouldn't be that great as i didn't go for the Bang and Olafson upgrade. The sound quality is actually pretty good, and by adjusting the levels you can get some punchy bass and clear trebles.
Being able to play DVD's is also amazing, I got stuck in gridlocked traffic on the motorway, (engines off, not moving for an hour jobby), so just popped in a DVD turned up the aircon and relaxed while others looked way more stressed!

The virtual cockpit is amazing, and a bit of a show stopper! I tend to have my MMI screen used to display the music thats currently playing, and then I have Google Maps on my Virtual cockpit for navigation. The traffic avoidance has been great. (I was concerned at first, as I have been a TomTom devotee with traffic upgrade for the past 6 years). I can confirm that google navigation is now equal too, if not slightly ahead of TomTom in terms of accuracy of traffic and rerouting. You must take the Audi connect service to get the traffic, but for me it was a no brainer after spending so much on a car I wanted all the features unlocked! Plus being able to review flight and train arrivals departures from my car is a massive bonus for my line of work.

In terms of the look, the extended interior LED lighting looks lush! The LED strips are down the inside door contour lines, cup holders, footwell, down the each side of the central console, door handles and by entering the settings menu you can pick pretty much any colour/shade in the spectrum as well as brightness. You can even have different areas of the car illuminated in different colours. I feel a bit like im driving a space ship or something at night! haha
I have to admit, I went a little too far in the cheesey stakes and purchased the Audi Logo door pool lights from Amazon (£20), an easy upgrade they replace the door pool lights so when you open the driver/passenger door the Audi 4 rings logo is projected onto the ground!

The only other upgrade I still want to do is be able to unlock Video in motion, (VIM), so that the kids can watch a DVD when we are on long journeys. (Obvs not for the driver to view as thats pretty illegal). But im still trying to find out how to do this myself, as it costs £80 as a service from people on ebay/Gumtree etc. But thats for another forum post!!

So to sum up, if you just received, own, or are about to take delivery of the new Audi A4, I can confirm that its a blinder and, in my opinion, the most modern new car out at the moment in terms of technology. It might not have quite the same wow factor as some of its other competitors from the outside, but once your sitting in that drivers seat I guarentee you will be a happy chappy!

yuppyflyer
30-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Nice summary, how do you find the comfort of the sline suspension on long runs or less than perfect roads?

Paintstripper
30-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Interesting that you think the sound system is good. It's about the only thing I've been disappointed with. I think there's no depth to the sound at all. The VW Passat I had before was loads better in that respect.

manimal69
01-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Do you have the s line trim? I believe it has an upgraded, 10 speaker system from the lower trim levels. Granted, it's no Bang and Olafson, and I have had to increase the bass and treble levels but it's not too bad. For an audiophile though you would want to go with the Bang and Olafson upgrade as you get additional tweeters, a large subwoofer mounted in the boot and more sound manipulation options in the MMI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manimal69
01-10-2016, 07:43 AM
In regards to the s line suspension, I did read some reviews where people said it felt a little stiff. I have come from a Mazda 6 and so personally I like the stiffer, sportier suspension setups. Saying that, the A4 is by no means an uncomfortable drive and it irons out all but the most severe potholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paintstripper
01-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Yes, I have an S Line, and the sound system is supposedly better than the standard trim.....hate to think what that is like. The main reason I didn't consider the B+O system was that I figured the sound would be at least as good as my old VW. Error of judgement I think.

cowcatcher
01-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Nice review. My S-line 190 S-Tronic should be ordered this week. Your comments have confirmed that I have made the right decision![emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul Nisbet
02-10-2016, 10:31 AM
I agree here, I have an s-line and the sound system is ok but not quite as good as the one on my out going B8 is my initial impression. Not properly rinsed it but it is one area where a corner seems to have been cut.

cowcatcher
02-10-2016, 11:58 AM
If it's the same as my A3 S-Line I'll be happy. Not mega but good enough for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Irving
02-10-2016, 04:59 PM
I also have a 190 S Line Avant, sound is not as good as my 09 B8 S Line Avant was but better than my other car (BMW M235i) is. The quality of standard sound has dropped since the popularity of the premium upgrades such as Bose and Harmon Kardonn.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk