PDA

View Full Version : Is the A6 more comfortable than the A4 ?

Getoiu
27-09-2016, 02:35 AM
I'm thinking of selling my A4 B8. I hate how bumpy it is and it's SE. Am I wrong thinking that the A6 is more comfortable than mine? I test drove the 5 series with regulated comfort/sport suspension but I was disappointed. The E-class with Sports Package is spot on, but over my budget (plus the design is too conservative for me).I'm also considering driving the Jaguar XF as it looks like a possible substitute, but I don't really want to change the make. If the streets in my area were better I wouldn't want to change, but here I am asking for advice.

AT.
27-09-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking of selling my A4 B8. I hate how bumpy it is and it's SE. Am I wrong thinking that the A6 is more comfortable than mine?

If you talk about the C7, then there is no question. If you talk about the C6, well, that's still superior than the B8 IMHO. For me, the B8 is something, which wanted to look like a C6, but it didn't worked at all. I drove a B8 while I own a C7, and I felt the true middle-age feeling during driving, and was quite happy when I got back my car.

Spapro
27-09-2016, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking of selling my A4 B8. I hate how bumpy it is and it's SE. Am I wrong thinking that the A6 is more comfortable than mine? I test drove the 5 series with regulated comfort/sport suspension but I was disappointed. The E-class with Sports Package is spot on, but over my budget (plus the design is too conservative for me).I'm also considering driving the Jaguar XF as it looks like a possible substitute, but I don't really want to change the make. If the streets in my area were better I wouldn't want to change, but here I am asking for advice.

You really need to test drive an A6 to see how it compares to your car.

I've ordered one recently, hopefully mines ready mid October, and was very happy with the standard S-line suspension on a test drive - nicely balanced not too firm and not too wallowy imho.

I can't compare with an A4 as currently in a Merc C-class Sport plus estate.

Test drive to be sure how you find it.

pany
27-09-2016, 09:42 AM
I went for a s line BE in the C7 and specced the sports suspension, midway between the standard and s line. Very happy with it, feels sporty without crashing through bumps.

Spapro
27-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Just to clarify, when I ordered my car there were 3 levels of suspension:

1. Dynamic suspension (standard on SE)
2. Sport Suspension - lowered by 20mm (standard on S-line and black edition), this is what I ordered
3. S-line Sport suspension - lowered by a further 10mm over sport suspension (optional on S-line and black edition).

I ordered an S-line with the standard sport suspension, no: 2 above.

rowdy-999
27-09-2016, 10:24 AM

What's your current wheel/tyre size ?

Olio
27-09-2016, 12:17 PM
I've tested both before deciding which one to buy.

The C7 (mine is a standard SE) is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable than the A4. And when I get an A4 during services, I can still feel it (3 year old A6 vs new A4)

brummygit
27-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Just to clarify, when I ordered my car there were 3 levels of suspension:

1. Dynamic suspension (standard on SE)
2. Sport Suspension - lowered by 20mm (standard on S-line and black edition), this is what I ordered
3. S-line Sport suspension - lowered by a further 10mm over sport suspension (optional on S-line and black edition).

I ordered an S-line with the standard sport suspension, no: 2 above.
There is a 4th option:

I have a Black Edition with optional Air Suspension - sporty when I want it, and smoooooth when I'm in old man mode

AT.
27-09-2016, 09:44 PM
and smoooooth when I'm in old man mode

...and on bad quality roads :)

Getoiu
28-09-2016, 02:50 AM
They're 225/50 R17
I know that the 16'' wouldn't be so rough but I'm talking about the suspension itself. It's very wobbly and climbing speed humps is a nightmare.
I'll definitely book a test drive of the A6. I was thinking of an approved C7 and I'm a bit tormented between avant and saloon. Never had an estate, but they look great and if it doesn't compromise on handling and comfort why not ?

Gazwould
28-09-2016, 07:59 AM
How many miles has the original SE suspension done on your B8 ?

JamesMo
28-09-2016, 08:42 AM
I've owned both a B8 s-line and two C7 Sline (sport suspension) - one saloon pref FL and a current FL Avant. Both of the C7's are significantly more comfortable than the B8 A4 ever was. I've had both 19" and 20" wheels and can honestly say there is very little between how they feel. I've never driven an SE but can only assume this is better still. Hope that helps

James

AT.
28-09-2016, 08:52 AM
I've had both 19" and 20" wheels and can honestly say there is very little between how they feel.

I agree with you.

Some more info: currently I own a 19" wheels for summer, and 17" for the winter. IMHO while the 17" wheels have a significant better comfort on the worse quality roads, on the good quality roads, the 19" wheels acts almost the same as the 17" wheels. Naturally, on the highways, there are no overall differences between the wheels. With a high speed driving, or on wet roads the difference mostly depends on the tyres IMHO.

Getoiu
28-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Yeah, for keeping the car stuck on the road that suspension is spot on. However if all the roads surface was the same as the motorways I wouldn't have to complain. lol
I can see that the 3.0 TDI comes either Multitronic or S Tronik. Is there a reason to prefer one over another, keeping in mind that I'm doing about 15-25k miles per year mostly Urban ?

johnsimcox
28-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Yeah, for keeping the car stuck on the road that suspension is spot on. However if all the roads surface was the same as the motorways I wouldn't have to complain. lol
I can see that the 3.0 TDI comes either Multitronic or S Tronik. Is there a reason to prefer one over another, keeping in mind that I'm doing about 15-25k miles per year mostly Urban ?
If you are buying new (or a post facelift car) then it will be s-tronic only as the multitronic has been dropped, and was never offered with the quattro option

AT.
28-09-2016, 04:02 PM
I can see that the 3.0 TDI comes either Multitronic or S Tronik.

IMHO Tiptronic or Stronic.

As far as I know the Stronic is a VAG made one, the Tiptronic is a ZF. If I know well, then the ZF has eight speed, the Stronic (prefacelift) has 7, from wich the fist is useless, as my car always starts with the second gear. It seems, the Stronic was invented for all engines, and therefore it's not perfectly fits to the 3.0 TDI. But it's an IMHO, I don't think it's a bad gearbox, however a lot of people prefer the ZF over the Audi solution.

brummygit
28-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I've just come from a 2013 Multi-tronic to a new S-Tronic.

Multitronic is a CVT (constantly variable transmission) which works in CVT mode normally or pseudo auto in sport mode where it simulates 8 gears. My experience is that there is a lot of slip when pulling away and especially when trying to get out of a junction quickly. When rolling at a constant throttle accelerating, the engine speed stays the same as the speed increases which is a little like an aircraft accelerating down the runway for takeoff. It takes a little getting used to but is very smooth.

S-Tronic is a 7 speed auto with DSG. It uses twin clutches to pre-select the next gear and the shifts are lightning fast. This gearbox seems better at quick getaways and my only complaint on a new car is that it shifts into high gears very quickly - I guess this is in search of fuel economy but means a downshift when you give it some throttle and generates a slight hesitation. I test drove a BMW 5-series before ordering my new A6 and the same effect was more pronounced so I suspect this is just a byproduct of the quest for fuel economy.

Given a choice I would definitely go S-Tronic

Tripletrouble
29-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Make sure you note just how far to the right the throttle pedal is. It spoils an otherwise good car IMHO.

APH123
29-09-2016, 01:23 PM
I went from a 2012 A4 2.0 TDIe SE to a 2015 A6 2.0 TDI Ultra, both on the standard spec wheels. Definitely. Smoother, comfier, quieter, higher spec, slightly better on fuel.

Mr Magoo
29-09-2016, 07:40 PM
I've had 08 A4 B8 SE Avant, std with 17s, 09 B8 Sline Avant (with Sline Suspension 18s) both good cars, the Sline Suspension let you feel every wrinkle on poor roads, but was engaging to drive.

Recently changed to A6 C7 BE with Sline sports suspension, and noticed the following over the B8
- Ride is much better controlled, less crashing on what is the hardest of hard suspension with 20's
- build quality is a major step up over the B8
- noise levels are much less, whisper quiet on motorways

I would suggest trying different A6 with different setups I found a world of difference between the C7 Sline standard setup and BE full sports..

Happy hunting..

Rsheen
30-09-2016, 03:18 PM
I own both a 2012 3.0 Quattro A6 c7 and a 2014 2.0 Quattro A4 b8 so hopefully I can speak quite impartially
both cars have s line sport suspension but the a4 has 19" 35 profile tyres whilst the A6 runs on 18" 45 profile. The A4 ride is hard, which may be down to the lower profile. The A6 is much more comfortable in terms of harshness of ride, space, seat comfort and the general handling. The extra power also makes the ride seem effortless and believe it or not it is loads better on fuel (why a 3.0 TDI 245bhp is better than a 2.0 TDI 177bhp I will never understand) and it is also quick. The only downside is trying to squeeze into small parking spaces. For me the A6 wins every time and if I could keep just one it would be the A6

Getoiu
30-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Rsheen, yes I know that bigger engines tend to give better MPG as the quoted figures from the manufacturer are highly exaggerated. It may be a bit more thirsty in Urban conditions but not so much to split hairs. I prefer paying more for fuel but get more of a car. Although my 2.0 136 TDI is more than enough I'll be after the 3.0 TDI and probably remap. As of the ride, I don't mind it to be hard, but on uneven roads the car becomes very shaky as if I'm riding a horse. This is something that the BMW 5 series also didn't quite resolve from my tests but the Merc E class even with the sport package was very smooth. However I don't want to get a Merc as it's a bit boring :D I hope that the A6 is something in between the E class and 5 series. That would be my sweet spot. Even if not I'll just upgrade the suspension with something that I can adjust to my liking.

Rsheen
30-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Sorry, I am a bit confused. Is it ride comfort you want to know about (because you say now you don't mind it being hard ride) or is it handling you want to compare
briefly, re the cars I outlined before, the A6 is loads more comfortable ( for all the reasons I gave) but the A4 handles far better e.g. Cornering.. This might be better due to wider tyres with lower profile. The A6 brakes though are much better, more powerful and more progressive. The A4 is a bit more snatchy. Steering on the A6 is adjustable from comfort, which can be a bit light, to dynamic that offers more response. In this setting the A4 might still have the edge and if it wasn't for the ridiculous flat bottomed steering wheel the A4 might win the steering prize
hope this helps