PDA

View Full Version : Coolan Leak!!! Help!

bigred247
26-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Hi guys,

I have a coolant leak on my Seat Alhambra 2007. I've only baught the car about 3 months ago and ever since i have had this issue. I cannot see any obvious leaks when the car is turned on and engine is running. Whats worse is you can really smell coolant through the air vents in the car when you switch on the heating and it leaves a bad smell in the car (you can also smell the coolant when the engine is off). I had a mechanic do a very quick inspection but could not see any obvious leaks. More recently the 'low coolant' error message displays on the dash. I am having to top up the coolant very often. It did a 260 mile trip a couple of days ago and it dropped from a max level to min level so i had to top it up again.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

zollaf
26-09-2016, 09:17 AM
is the carpet wet where your feet go, is there and red coolant staining around the bottom heater vents ? does the windscreeen feel greasy ? if so, heater matrix needs replacing.

bigred247
26-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Hi Zollaf,
The carpet is not wet and i cannot recall seeing any staining around the heater vents. Also, the windscreen seems fine just yet. Could it still be the heater matrix? I've seen something called K Seal' on the eurocarparts website - is this something that could help?

zollaf
26-09-2016, 09:29 AM
no, dont use k seal, that will cause more problems than it will fix. find the leak and fix the leak. get a garage to pressure test the cooling system.

bigred247
26-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Zollaf,

Thanks for the tips! I'll take it to the garage and see if they can pressure test it for me.

niall campbell
27-09-2016, 04:37 PM
if no obvious leaks then buy a genuine expansion cap , I had a similar problem and this cured it for around £10