PDA

View Full Version : Driver Mode

jimgironde
22-09-2016, 04:51 PM
I understand what the manual says about steering sensitivity, fuel economy etc.,

However, my 150GT feels no different on acceleration whether I am using Eco, Normal or Sport mode.

Do other people notice a difference between these 3 modes on performance?

YawnGumbo
23-09-2016, 04:12 PM
I thought I noticed a difference between Eco and Normal (in that Eco was a bit more sluggish when joining motorways, etc.) but it could all be in my mind! Not really noticed much with Sport mode, but I've settled on an "individual" mode now and have had that since about 3 weeks after getting the car so never now touch the driver mode button. Other than weighting up the steering to Sport mode (as I found Normal a bit fidgety on motorways), I can't remember what other settings I have customised!

gamichea
25-09-2016, 08:54 PM
I don't think there is any difference in the actual rate of acceleration available from Eco, Normal and Sport. Its just that for a given pedal depression you get more acceleration from Normal than Eco and more acceleration from Sport than Normal; a quicker response to your demand if you like. IIRR what there is in the manual about Individual covers this under the Drive option. If you have the DSG I think you get quicker shifts as well.

I have chosen Sport for all the driving related options in my Individual set up. It suits me very well. Just back from almost 3000 miles in Europe mainly at speed on motorways with some tootling around over mountain passes and through Tuscany thrown in. Brim to brim fuel consumption for the last 3500 miles is 47.9mpg which is 1.5 - 2.0mpg less than the trip computer long term figure. 40 miles of tootling round the Calais area followed by the near 200 mile homeward run from Folkestone along the M20, M25, M11, A14, A1 and A47 during a weekday afternoon showed 54.2mpg for the day so pretty pleased with the Sport mode performance/consumption balance.

To give you some idea of what VW views as Sport, accelerating away from automated toll booths on French autoroutes taken at about 15mph I check mirrors then if happy hit Resume. The car takes off holding 3rd until almost 4,000rpm and subsequent gears to lesser revs. until chosen cruising speed is reached, usually 75mph for me. I'm really happy with that, being a believer in giving the engine some proper exercise from time to time is beneficial and that quick short acceleration is more economical than slow long.

jimgironde
29-09-2016, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=gamichea;1030931

It suits me very well. Just back from almost 3000 miles in Europe mainly at speed on motorways with some tootling around over mountain passes and through Tuscany thrown in. Brim to brim fuel consumption for the last 3500 miles is 47.9mpg which is 1.5 - 2.0mpg less than the trip computer long term figure. 40 miles of tootling round the Calais area followed by the near 200 mile homeward run from Folkestone along the M20, M25, M11, A14, A1 and A47 during a weekday afternoon showed 54.2mpg for the day so pretty pleased with the Sport mode performance/consumption balance.

[/QUOTE]

gamichea, you make me very jealous!

We have driven everywhere in the old B6, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium....the list goes on!

A couple of years ago I tried the old friend on the derestricted stretches of the autobahns, she knew she was home and willingly went to 125 before I bottled it, that was mph not kph:biglaugh:.

Some of my most memorable drives have been through Switzerland, absolutely spectacular. We probably get into mainland Europe 2 or 3 times a year and I cannot wait to take the new car across.

You obviously drive across the water quite a lot, so a question for you.

When I went touring in the B6 in the UK I would get an average of circa 48 to the gallon, that was measured pump to pump. When I have toured, the majority in France, I have got 53 to 54 to the gallon, again measured. Nothing to do with the roads as I would still get that on my return until I filled up again. That was supermarket diesel and I would consistently get these figures year after year.

Have you noticed anything like this?

gamichea
29-09-2016, 06:59 PM
I have experienced this. Apparently French diesel has a higher cetane rating than UK diesel, i.e. more calorific. I use Carrefour supermarket diesel in France because their website enables me to easily locate their filling stations near autoroutes and their self service pumps accept UK cards. New this year they offer premium diesel at some sites at just four eurocents a litre extra compared to about nine pence in the UK at the moment.. That's what's in the tank right now.

jimgironde
29-09-2016, 07:29 PM
I use Carrefour supermarket diesel in France .

Cite D'Europe:D, plus other liquids....

gamichea
01-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Cite D'Europe:D, plus other liquids....

Indeed. In case you are not aware, the Carrefour Cite Europe filling station is now on a shiny new ground level site opposite the main complex and the rather cruddy old subterranean site is in the process of clearance.