PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Fitted Extras

boatgeek
13-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new around here so apologies if this comes across as a newbie question.

I got myself a Passat S from Motorpoint earlier this summer (the less said about them the better, but I did take it straight to my VW main dealer for a check up and they replaced a faulty battery straight off). As I had to purchase the car outright and I am not a rich man I could only afford the S model although they had a nice GT as well.

My question is, if I wanted to upgrade her a little as I get some cash, what is worth adding? I did look at cruise control which can be added at a dealer but my research suggests that it is less effective in terms of MPG than regulating speed manually.

I did also think of folding mirrors (scallywags knocking my mirrors off is a constant fear of mine) but not sure if this is possible at a dealer.

Any thoughts?

YawnGumbo
14-09-2016, 01:52 PM
I think cruise control depends on what sort of journeys you do. If you spend a lot of time on the motorway then it's a godsend, but if you're mainly in town then there's little point. It is lovely being able to set the cruise at 50mph through roadworks and not really have to worry about getting caught by speed cameras. Folding mirrors are nice, but I would assume if it is possible then they would be expensive to do. Other than the cruise I don't think I'd bother with much else. Automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers are really useful, but I suspect are expensive or not possible to retrofit at a dealer. I'd probably buy a TomTom satnav or similar, but otherwise the S has pretty much everything you need of a runaround.

boatgeek
14-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The cruise control is £350 fitted at the dealer which is not too bad. I do motorway commutes to Coventry for work a couple of times a month (500 mile round trip) and other associated motorway stuff but the M4 in Wales is pretty lumpy. That said I did do my trip home in just over 4 hours last week with an average MPG of 69.2. I am quite pleased with that as 4 hours is how long it normally takes.

I guess the question is would I get £350 worth of value from cruise control?

I tend to use Google maps for navigation which does have good trafic alerts but does not plot speed cameras. I have heard that with the mirror link it is not possible to view Google Maps on the screen but I may be wrong, anyone tried it?

MattB247
15-09-2016, 06:55 AM
If you have a head unit that supports android auto you can use app connect and use google maps via that.

boatgeek
15-09-2016, 10:50 AM
How would I know if I did? I have the factory fitted unit for an S model. If select the mirror link thing it tells me that I need a code from the dealer to activate it. I am assuming that the head units are probably the same regardless of levels they just have different software and the physical buttons differ.

MattB247
21-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Mirror link should show your phone display on your stereo unit assuming it has the right display, worth checking if your phone model can run android auto / google maps and that may be a way to do it.

smithy602179
20-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am new around here so apologies if this comes across as a newbie question.

I got myself a Passat S from Motorpoint earlier this summer (the less said about them the better, but I did take it straight to my VW main dealer for a check up and they replaced a faulty battery straight off). As I had to purchase the car outright and I am not a rich man I could only afford the S model although they had a nice GT as well.

My question is, if I wanted to upgrade her a little as I get some cash, what is worth adding? I did look at cruise control which can be added at a dealer but my research suggests that it is less effective in terms of MPG than regulating speed manually.

I did also think of folding mirrors (scallywags knocking my mirrors off is a constant fear of mine) but not sure if this is possible at a dealer.

Any thoughts?
Would that be motorpoint at Loughborough jct23 of M1 . The one that says it will do oil change and brakes if needed only . Won't put mot on it and strangely enough I had new discs and brakes on rear after 6 months and 2 new tyres rear tyres within 5 weeks of purchase

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk