PDA

View Full Version : 2016 S3 Facelift Sportback Dash Cam

DesertForce
12-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Hi guys,

After some really bad luck with an A4I have just put in an order for a S3 Sportback. I was wondering if anyone has fitted any dash cams to either an A3 or S3. I would like a decent quality dashboard camera with telemetry and a way to hide the cables. Any suggestions (maybe pictures)?

Thanks in advance

AK88
12-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi,

Theres plenty of posts on the forum of installs and preferred models of dashcams, in the link below I have posted some pics of mine:

Re: Been looking at THESE- fitting ultra discreet or ultra small dash cam for the Q7 in the long term???

Astroman1
19-09-2016, 08:55 PM
I've just fitted a Transcend DrivePro 200 to my new S3 sportback. I know from experience and an upheld insurance claim that the definition of the camera lens is really important if you are checking a numberplate so it's not the cheapest of cameras but you never know when you might need the results! Mine is mounted on the supplied bracket to the left of the rear view mirror fixed to the windscreen and is hard wired to the fuse box using a Nextbase Hardwire Camera kit - by far the easiest way of doing it. Wiring runs behind the headlining and then down the rubber door seal avoiding the pillar air bag. The fuse box is behind a panel in the glove box, and the left hand end of the dash comes off to hide the wiring etc. Works a treat & I hope I'll never have to use this one.

DesertForce
24-09-2016, 08:23 PM
I've just fitted a Transcend DrivePro 200 to my new S3 sportback. I know from experience and an upheld insurance claim that the definition of the camera lens is really important if you are checking a numberplate so it's not the cheapest of cameras but you never know when you might need the results! Mine is mounted on the supplied bracket to the left of the rear view mirror fixed to the windscreen and is hard wired to the fuse box using a Nextbase Hardwire Camera kit - by far the easiest way of doing it. Wiring runs behind the headlining and then down the rubber door seal avoiding the pillar air bag. The fuse box is behind a panel in the glove box, and the left hand end of the dash comes off to hide the wiring etc. Works a treat & I hope I'll never have to use this one.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the wiring and the cam?

Astroman1
24-09-2016, 08:33 PM
Do you happen to have any pictures of the wiring and the cam?

Sorry I don't and of course the wiring is now hidden. The only thing I can add to my last post is when you are looking for a positive feed to the cam which is powered on only when when the ignition is on I suggest you use the fuse that is for the rear screen heater.

DesertForce
24-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Issue is, i find it quite hard to imagine how the cable is fed, especially down the door sill. Do Audi actually fit dash cams as well?

Astroman1
25-09-2016, 08:10 AM
How To Hardwire a Dashcam Simple Easy Steps - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8TqMfgmJCc) There's plenty on the web about fitting and if there was an option for a dash cam on the Audi order form I would be interested.

wedgie7
18-02-2017, 02:58 PM
The only thing I can add to my last post is when you are looking for a positive feed to the cam which is powered on only when when the ignition is on I suggest you use the fuse that is for the rear screen heater.

Thanks buddy i have been wondering which fuse to use when i get round to fitting my dashcam to my A3 sportback.