PDA

View Full Version : Hello

redportleft
18-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi, I have to admit that I joined this forum because I`m a bit stuck and need some help. :1zhelp:
I drive a Polo Fox F reg 1050cc. 2 door hatch. I thought I would check the Gearbox oil level. Found a star drive bolt on the front face of the gearbox and thought it might be a filler/level hole. took the bolt out (thinking "Its not in a good place and why is it so long) and oil duly came out (Happy) Put the bolt back in and could not get 1st or second gear (Not happy) Let it back out again and got the 1&2nd gears back but no reverse. I have a Haynes manual. But it has no real information to help with the gearbox.
If I could just get an exploded view of the workings of the gearbox layout I could see whats happening and know what to do. Or It may be just a case of putting the gear leaver in the correct place before putting the bolt back in. (Fingers crossed).
Many thanks for any help in advanced. Tom. :)

RickT
19-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!!

The star nut you undid was the drain plug.. The fear box oil is normally OK for life.. but as you motor is getting on a bit now it could do with a refill..

I don't know much about the box in your car.. but normally there is a plug, nut on the top where you can refill the oil..

In rears to losing 1st... is these when the engine is running?? does it select OK when the engine is off??

If you drop a post into the Polo section, I'm sure one of our members will be able to help you out more.

Cheers

Rick

redportleft
19-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks Rick.