PDA

View Full Version : Where is best for turbo recon?

Big Cyril
18-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi,
I'm new on this forum - I've a Passat tdi 130 estate.
Unfortunately the turbo needs reconditioned (Actuator rod sticks), was wondering if any of you have experience of having this done and where would you recommend?
Location is not important as I will have to post it (live in N Ireland).
It's currently sitting on my kitchen table and ready to go....
Thanks
Cyril

Big Cyril
28-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Update - sent it to Midland Turbo
www.midlandturbo.com
It was returned (or perhaps an exchange one) which looked new within a few days, fitted the turbo yesterday and all is well again.
Pleased:D

Nortones2
29-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I have heard that people have cleaned the actuator mech themselves: http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html If that is all that is wrong.

On the other hand, the sticky actuator gives unscrupulous garages a chance to flog a brand new turbo, @£1000 etc, when all that is needed is a clean up and check on the vacuum actuator and pipes. How much did they charge?

Big Cyril
29-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Well the local VW garage diagnosed the fault and said the turbo would need to be replaced, they quoted £1.2k for the turbo (not sure if that includes VAT) and then fitting on top of that, probably approaching £2k in total.

When the turbo eventually came out I couldn't get the actuator freed and was afraid to take it apart so sent it off as I really didn't want to put it all back together to find it was still wrong!

Midland charged around 250 in total including postage, a lot less than 2k!
I'm not a mechanic, and used a Haynes manual for the removal, I found it quite difficult in places but got there eventually.

tonyleach
29-10-2007, 02:01 PM
agree with big cyril mine went on gttdi 150 n that was a pain to do but would rather struggle if got a garage to do work in than get robbed a small fortune,the turbos at the dealers are just stupid prices & i have also seen people free up the actuator no problems,i used aer at wakefield for my turbo & cos they are garret dealers i got 2years warranty rather than everyone elses one but have been told warranties on turbos arent really worth the paper there written on