PDA

View Full Version : new owner s3 quattro

swally34
02-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Just got myself a 2003 s3 1.8t Quattro (http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B006057T8U) and It has some things needing some tlc but one of the problems is it appears the ESP light is on dash have been by seller its an abs sensor but I am unsure, hoping its nothing relating to haldex.

Should I run VAGCOM on it to get faults?

Thanks.

zollaf
02-09-2016, 11:11 PM
yes, you need the fault codes to be able to start fixing it. if it was an abs sensor then it would also have the abs light on as well and the abs wouldnt work, so if the abs actually does what it should at start up then you are looking at something else.

swally34
03-09-2016, 08:46 PM
yes, you need the fault codes to be able to start fixing it. if it was an abs sensor then it would also have the abs light on as well and the abs wouldnt work, so if the abs actually does what it should at start up then you are looking at something else.

thanks zollaf there is no abs light on so must be something else. I have noticed the ESP light will trigger randomly sometimes it will come on straight away with start of car other times a short distance drive and other times can do about 10 mile with no light at all? so it seems it must be a comms problem or something?

niall campbell
03-09-2016, 09:04 PM
check battery for dud call(s) and the alternator output first .......................................... usually free or a small charge

car checks battery first to see if it has enough juice to power brakes

if they are ok, then get a scan