PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi Emissions Fix Quandry

Gmonster
01-09-2016, 11:27 PM
I have a Nov 2013 A6 2.0 tdi BE, and have been sitting on the notification letter saying that it needs to go in for the software fix.

Coming up for its 3 year end warranty/MOT inspection and I am expecting the third degree when I tell the dealer that I don't want them to apply the fix.

Realise that there may be other threads on this; but... What are people's thoughts on this? Should I leave it for now? Or get the fix done etc. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SMILEMAN
02-09-2016, 07:01 AM
I had it done on mine, no problems or noticeble performance/economy changes whatsoever, only thing I noticed was an increase in the amount of dpf regens, although no data to back that, just think there were more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Guest 2
02-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Mine has been done and I don't have any complaints. It's not compulsory though so you aren't under any obligation to get it done.

Bloater
02-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Had mine done, don't notice any difference in performance or fuel economy.

Best of luck

Needmorepower
02-09-2016, 10:26 AM
I have a Nov 2013 A6 2.0 tdi BE, and have been sitting on the notification letter saying that it needs to go in for the software fix.

Coming up for its 3 year end warranty/MOT inspection and I am expecting the third degree when I tell the dealer that I don't want them to apply the fix.

Realise that there may be other threads on this; but... What are people's thoughts on this? Should I leave it for now? Or get the fix done etc. Cheers.

Not sure what the quandry is to be frank.

Had mine done a month or so ago and no issues, no drop in performance or mpg (possibly slight increase in mpg although different route to work means I can't be sure).
Do it, move on I say.

Gazwould
02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
If there is the same engine code and everyone's happy go for it , although you don't have to , no obligation or implications .

But across other VAG emissions updates other engine codes aren't as successful with reduced mpg , performance and diesel knock .

Problem following emissions fix (http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24887)

MacHighlander
02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
I know this is an A6 forum; have those who got it done all got an A6? Or a different model?

Chris, Bloater, Smileman; did you notice any increase in engine noise at idle or during take-off in 1st gear?

NathanA
02-09-2016, 12:01 PM
I was a little concerned but their final letter stated there would be no difference to the performance or economy. On that basis I had it done and there has been no difference. I know the government wanted it to be a mandatory fix and it may be so in years to come, indeed, the dealer may do it anyway if your car goes in for other work.

SMILEMAN
02-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Machighlander.....no adverse effects whatsoever.

Gmonster
02-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info guys: all you chaps saying there has been no impact are running the A6 c7 2.0 tdi??

SMILEMAN
02-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys: all you chaps saying there has been no impact are running the A6 c7 2.0 tdi??

Yep, exactly.

Bloater
05-09-2016, 10:51 AM
I know this is an A6 forum; have those who got it done all got an A6? Or a different model?

Chris, Bloater, Smileman; did you notice any increase in engine noise at idle or during take-off in 1st gear?

Not noticed any increase in noise. Didn't think it was noisy before, so haven't noticed any change, but then I only sit in it and drive it usually, not stand outside listening to it.

Guest 2
05-09-2016, 01:02 PM
I drive mine everyday and haven't noticed any differences in any area.

Gmonster
05-09-2016, 04:30 PM
So in summary the 'simpler' 2.0 tdi (177bhp) audi's seems not to be affected by the software change... Whereas the finally tuned blue motion volkswagons (golfs etc) seem to have issues....hmmm... Think I will just tell them to not update... Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer2001
06-09-2016, 07:27 PM
I too have a 2.0 tdi (177bhp) and have been sitting on the initial notification letter. After reading advice on here that it was not compulsory and best to not have it done, I ignored it! :D
So I was a bit surprised to receive a 2nd letter today this time from the DVLA telling me I hadn't yet had it done and to get it booked in as soon as possible.
I may be wrong but I thought the initial letter came from Audi, not the DVLA?

Anyway I feel now I probably should get it done to save any hassle, as the general consensus is there are no ill effects. But it's such a pain as there's not a dealer that close to me to conveniently drop the car off on the way to work. So it looks like I'll have to make a weekend appointment.
Is this something they will do while u wait? And how long does it take? Don't really fancy wasting my Saturday sat in a dealership!

Gmonster
06-09-2016, 10:04 PM
I too have received the DVLA stamped letter today. It's an AUDI UK letter but mildly threatening that the DVLA want the fix applied to as many affected motors as possible etc etc. My next move was to email them back with there ref/my reg stating that I understand that the fix is not compulsory and I want to put on record that I do not give them the authority to carry it out due to uncertainty in my mind to the potential effects on the cars overall performance which at the moment I am 100% satisfied.

Car is coming to end of 3yr warranty.... so can't really see what pressure they could put me under?

fest0r
06-09-2016, 11:13 PM
If the DfT are true to their word (going by the select committee last year) and it does become compulsory at some point, but an owner previously refused the fix, could Audi be cheeky enough to charge for it at some point?

Gmonster
06-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Good point fest.... food for thought ....hmmmmm....

A6S
07-09-2016, 11:44 AM
If the DfT are true to their word (going by the select committee last year) and it does become compulsory at some point, but an owner previously refused the fix, could Audi be cheeky enough to charge for it at some point?
My mate just had there a6 done and they received an invoice for it and it was £1400. Obviously there was also a credit on the invoice along the lines of Audi credit.
The only thing they can get you on if you dont apply the fix is higher road tax/benefit in kind.

fest0r
19-09-2016, 10:42 AM
If VW are put under enough pressure and they start blaming customers for not having the fix done I can see it becoming mandatory:

VW under fire as only 1 in 10 cars affected by emissions scandal fixed (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/18/vw-under-fire-as-only-1-in-10-cars-affected-by-emissions-scandal/)

Last Autumn Volkswagen said it would fix all affected vehicles within a year, but figures released by the manufacturer show just 110,000 vehicles in the UK, or less than 10pc, had undergone remedial action.

This led to Louise Ellman, Labour MP and chair of the Transport Select Committee, describing Volkswagen's efforts as "simply unacceptable".

However, to date less than 10 per cent of the affected vehicles have been repaired. More worryingly, Volkswagen have released no detailed information on what the repair involves, leaving affected owners in the dark about what is actually being done to their vehicle.

A Department for Transport spokesman said: “The government takes the unacceptable actions of VW extremely seriously. That is why we have taken swift action to protect the UK consumer. We were the first country in Europe to complete our own tests (April 2016) to ensure the issue was not industry-wide.

“We continue to push VW to take action to compensate the UK consumer. Last week the new Minister of State met with the MD for VW UK, Paul Willis, to reaffirm the Government’s calls for compensation and press for a fix to affected cars to be carried out as quickly as possible.”

It also appears that the fix might not even work in some configurations:

VW emissions scandal: EU to examine dieselgate compensation question | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/92893/vw-emissions-scandal-recalls-compensation-is-your-car-affected-latest-news)

Volkswagen's fix for the emissions scandal hit cars in Europe was discredited by an Italian consumer group which claims vehicles that have undergone the fix to remove the defeat device emit nitrogen oxide (NOx) levels that are 25% above legal limits.

The Italian consumer group Altroconsumo, a member of the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC) tested an Audi Q5 that had been recalled by the VW Group and fitted with a new 'flow transfomer'. Even with the fix on-board, the consumer group's results showed the car to pollute 25 per cent above the EU legal limit.

Volkswagen’s fix for affected European cars involved a new ‘flow transformer’ which helps to improve the accuracy of the air mass sensor, which in turn improves the EGR flow rate, resulting in lower emissions.

Monique Goyens, Director General of the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC) said: “This is another blow for EU consumers and a new dimension of the VW scandal. This test by our Italian member clearly demonstrates that VW’s solution to deactivate the defeat device is not reliable.

“It is imperative that the German testing agency who approved the fix, but also their national counterparts, urgently re-examine the solutions to repair the affected cars and that they publish these results. Consumers need to be 100% certain that their car will be in conformity with emission thresholds after the recall.

Crasher
19-09-2016, 11:06 AM
The road tax is not based on NOX, it is based on Co2 and the recall is nothing to do with Co2. I am telling all my customers to ignore the recall, in fact if I get one in that has been done and it has an issue, I will flash the bugger back to standard as I have all the files. I have never known such misunderstood, badly reported nonsense!

fest0r
19-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Did these articles mention road tax? It obviously might change in the near future, but from what I understand the UK is part of the European emission standards scheme and unless I misunderstand the regulations, it includes NOx levels :confused:

European emission standards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards)

Euro 6 emissions standards: what do they mean for you? | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/90816/euro-6-emissions-standards-what-do-they-mean-for-you)

JannerAudi
20-09-2016, 09:39 AM

I have a 2014 2.0 TDi 177 and had the software update about one month ago. I haven't noticed any difference in performance or economy since the update and initially I didn't think there was any difference in noise. However, I now think the engine is noisier in lower gears when travelling slowly and then pushing on the accelerator. Not exactly a bag of nails sound and it is only brief until the revs build but a definite rattle that I didn't notice before.

Bill Badger
26-09-2016, 07:44 PM
I had mine done about three weeks ago when I had the first MOT carried out at the Audi dealer in Wolverhampton. I was assured that I wouldn't notice the difference, and to be honest, I haven't. The dealer had a small problem with the MOT equipment and waived the bill for that, so I have nothing to show that it's been done should anyone ever ask, not even a zero cost invoice.

Gazwould
26-09-2016, 07:49 PM
What a confusing username , you don't have a Badgerwagen by any chance ;)

Bill Badger
26-09-2016, 10:11 PM

No, but I do have every Rupert annual since 1936 :Blush::Blush::Blush:

Crasher
26-09-2016, 10:34 PM
RUPERT THE BEAR THEME - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQqK-1_YeZ0)

Gazwould
26-09-2016, 11:27 PM
There are many here that have lost out to such an education by their unfortunate youth...

Crasher
27-09-2016, 08:03 PM
I lost hours of my life on you tube after that....

layman72
29-09-2016, 11:42 AM
I own a 2012 Audi A6 Avant 2.0 TDI S Line and I have been advised by my independent VW garage not to have the emissions fix done.

I am concerned that the fix will impact the long-term reliability of the engine and lead to expensive bills down the road due. Anyone who has a PCP and is giving the car back after 3 years probably won't be worried about this but people who buy and own cars for a long time have no guarantees that there won't be problems caused by the software fix. If my engine fails because of it I'm not betting that VW will pay for a replacement.

A House of Commons report in July has this to say about the matter:
We welcome the work that approval authorities have done to ensure that there is no adverse impact on fuel economy and other aspects of vehicle performance. For consumers to have confidence in any technical solution, approval authorities must be mindful that component reliability and durability are not impaired either, as that could lead to high repair costs for owners. TheVCA must ensure that owners are not out of pocket in any way as a result of Volkswagen’s technical solution; Volkswagen must meet those costs.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmtrans/69/6902.htm

Crasher
29-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Just leave it alone, it ain't broke so don't fix it. No one in the House of Commons is going to beat you with a thrashing stick for not having it done (which is unusual for the bunch of pervs that reside there), so just keep driving, hand the car back at end of term and step into the new one, simples!

Olio
30-09-2016, 11:00 AM
After reading all the comments, I've decided to let Audi install the fix on my A6. It's not a PCP, but it's a well built car, and as there are no issues reported, I'd rather have a car with all the Audi recommended updates installed, should anything go wrong.

nevbadger99
01-10-2016, 03:45 PM

There are more badgers on here than you realise.

Crasher
01-10-2016, 09:09 PM
There are more badgers on here than you realise.

Are Badgers like Beavers only not so wet.... :naughty:

layman72
02-10-2016, 08:07 AM
I trust my independent VW mechanic -worked for 20 years at the main dealer before setting up his own business - when he tells me not to get it done because the fix can cause problems later on. It is of no peace of mind to have all the Audi recommended updates if those updates are going to damage my engine.

I am not getting the fix done. I am getting hassled by the local Audi dealer and letters from Audi to do so. VAG treats its customers with utter contempt and is now trying to bully them so it can go to the government and say it has fixed the offending cars. They will not compensate owners if their engine blows up becasue of the fix. Furthermore, there is no proof that the fix works. An article in Autocar says that there is more Nox emissions after the fix than before.

This quote from the July 2016 House of Commons report:

"There would be a further case for compensation if there was any reduction to vehicle performance as a result of VW’s fix. The VCA said it will “ensure that after the fix is applied the vehicles meet all the legal requirements, including emissions, and that other vehicle characteristics are unchanged or improved, including fuel consumption and engine noise”.61 (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmtrans/69/6905.htm#footnote-109) Approval authorities have emphasised the importance of ensuring that fuel economy is not reduced as a result of VW’s fix. Equal consideration should be given to all aspects of vehicle performance, including component reliability and durability which are less easy to measure in laboratories but can prove costly for owners when they are impaired. There were concerns that VW’s technical solution was developed at the lowest possible cost for the purpose of satisfying emissions standards and the maintenance of fuel economy but at the expense of component durability—particularly components that comprise the emissions control system. Engine design requires trade-offs between many factors such as fuel consumption, emissions, reliability, and durability.62 (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmtrans/69/6905.htm#footnote-108)We believe that approval authorities should ensure that owners affected by the VW emissions scandal are not out of pocket as a result of VW’s fix, including from any adverse trade-off between fuel consumption and emissions on one side and component durability on the other.

Gazwould
02-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Lengthy and very difficult to prove any of that .

Yet another reason NOT to get it done..

Crasher
02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
I think it was in Autocar (I read SO many mags) last week that they said figures now show there has been no long term affect on residuals due to the silly palaver.

nevbadger99
02-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Are Badgers like Beavers only not so wet.... :naughty:

Ooh Er Matron

layman72
08-11-2016, 03:06 PM
The EU is now questioning whether the software fix will damage engines.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUKKCN12S13Y

On another note, my local Audi dealer keeps ringing to book my car in for the fix. This morning, the local VW dealer rang about my wife's Mark 6 Golf 2.0 TDI. When I told him that we were not having the fix applied he told me that we would have to come down to the dealership and sign a disclaimer. When I told him he was talking nonsense and that the fix was not mandatory he backed down and made some comment about resale values. This is really desperate stuff from VW and Audi dealers who are no doubt being pestered by VAG to get as many cars fixed as soon as possible.

I might consider getting both our cars fixed if VAG gave me a two year engine guarantee in the event of any problems arising. They do not want to do this which says everything.

A6S
08-11-2016, 08:21 PM
The reason the dealership is doing it is they get paid for it. Easy 5 minute work. My boss has hers done and she got an invoice for £1200(with a vag credit of the same amount)so I guess that's what they will be charging vag uk and also that's what they will charge once the grace period of the free fix has passed.

layman72
08-11-2016, 10:39 PM
Are you trying to suggest that people will eventually have to pay for a fix if they don't get it done soon? I think that is highly unlikely. Recalls remain open for years and are free of charge. This recall is not mandatory and many people have decided not to have it done as the long term effects on engine reliability are unknown. In the unlikely event of the recall becoming mandatory - because VW is not alone in cheating emissions tests- then VW will not be allowed to charge customers a penny for it.

Crasher
09-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Life has taught me to not be an early adopter, wait and see...

Gmonster
09-11-2016, 02:30 PM
I agree with your take on this Crasher... tho I would be a bit peeved if this subsequently became compulsory and chargeable at a later date... this would be unjustifiable in my mind...

Crasher
09-11-2016, 06:45 PM
It can't be made compulsory without a change in the law and it is just not worth the hassle for the government to do that. The whole things meaningless anyway, the world is up it's **** and falling apart at the seems, political nightmares, war, famine, disease, final crisis ete cetc and all people can fret about is a piece of code that does bugger all in Europe in the first place! Insanity will prevail...... :alcoholic.............:1zhelp:

zollaf
09-11-2016, 06:48 PM
and by the time it actually happened most of the affected cars will have been scrapped anyway..

Crasher
09-11-2016, 06:52 PM
And in three to four years time, ALL non EU6 diesel engined vehicles will become virtually worthless and unusable. That lunatic London Mayor wants to stop any non EU6 diesel car coming inside the M25 after 2019, with any luck someone will "deal" with him....:AR15firin

zollaf
09-11-2016, 07:08 PM
i think the new us president, some old rich bloke called tramp ?? may 'deal' with him...

Gmonster
09-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Anyhoos..... I need to get back to the planning and construction of my nuclear bunker... it will be needed sooner than you think... I visualise a mad max type scenario in the lead up to the Big Bang... with us all running about in our un-modded c-7 audi's... fighting over the remaining water/deezil oil supplies.... hah....

Crasher
10-11-2016, 11:37 AM
I need to get back to the planning and construction of my nuclear bunker

I wanted to start mine this weekend but apparently there has been a surge of people renting Bobcats....:dunno:

layman72
14-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Third letter from AUDI/DVLA has arrived this morning urging me to get the fix done. Key excerpts:

"We are making good progress with completing the technical measures and customers have been satisfied with their experience and their vehicle following the completion of this work"

Well, the internet has plenty of examples of customers who aren't satisfied. But this misses the point as it is too early to see if the fix will cause engine problems down the road.

"We are working with the Department for Transport and the DVLA to fulfil our commitment to have the service action applied to all affected vehicles as quickly as possible. If you have not yet visited an Audi Authorised Repairer or made an appointment, we would urge you to take the necessary steps outlined below to have the technical measure undertaken on your vehicle."

I translated this as: VAG are very worried that only around 1 in 10 affected vehicles have been fixed and don't want to upset the government. So please be a good person and get it fixed now so they will get off our backs.

I have thought long and hard about this and have made my decision not to have the fix done. I may be worrying over nothing but I tend to buy and own cars for 10 years not rent them on a 3 year PCP. Reliability and longevity are therefore very important to me. There are cases of people - admittedly not many yet - having the fix and then having engine problems. Experienced VAG mechanics tell me to not have the fix done. The fix is not mandatory - note the word urge cited from the letter.

Audi are harassing me for their own needs. They don't give a stuff about the customer. If they did, they would guarantee that the fix won't cause problems later on and agree to pay for any subsequent repairs. The fact that they won't highlights their arrogance and lack of respect for customers. I am not looking for a penny of compensation from Audi because they cheated but I am not going to mess with a car that is currently running beautifully.

Gmonster
14-11-2016, 05:06 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161114/2b094c1541a067a651d59fb90b197bad.jpg. Yeah I got my mildly threatening letter this morning also. Considered contacting them to tell them i had no intensions of getting fix done..... but think I will just let it simmer.

Crasher
14-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Third letter from AUDI/DVLA has arrived this morning urging me to get the fix done.

Very well put and logical.

zollaf
14-11-2016, 05:09 PM
''outstanding action required ' . what does that actually mean. to me that says they want you to do something amazing ..

Gmonster
14-11-2016, 05:10 PM
The DVLA stamp on the letters is also a nice touch. [emoji15]

layman72
14-11-2016, 05:14 PM
When you are in a hole you should stop digging. VAG is ignoring this rule and seems to be doing its best to annoy its customers. See that automatic Audis may have cheated CO2 tests now.
Audi automatic gearboxes could feature emissions cheating software | Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/audi-automatic-gearboxes-could-feature-emissions-cheating-software)

A6S
14-11-2016, 10:10 PM
What vag is avoiding doing is paying dvla/government money. All they had to do was say we cheated. These are the actual figures and pay the difference in road tax for all affected vehicle for the next 10 -15 years which is about the lifespan of an average car.
That would have been easier but not cheaper. A couple of billion would have been enough 😄

Crasher
15-11-2016, 12:09 AM
What vag is avoiding doing is paying dvla/government money. All they had to do was say we cheated. These are the actual figures and pay the difference in road tax for all affected vehicle for the next 10 -15 years which is about the lifespan of an average car.
That would have been easier but not cheaper. A couple of billion would have been enough 

Sorry but that is complete ********, there is no difference in tax, the subject of the problem was NOX emissions, please show me in U.K law where NOX emissions are a tax or MOT stipulation?

Gazwould
15-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Obviously NOx is the issue but they can't have realistic CO2 figures as much as fuel economy figures , all lies .

Crasher
15-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Obviously NOx is the issue but they can't have realistic CO2 figures as much as fuel economy figures , all lies .

yes, but that is the case for all brands A to Z

sacha35
17-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Received my letter from AUDI this morning urging me to getthe fix done. With a bit of web searching I was able to track down the main man paul.willis@vwg.co.uk from no less than the UK VW group. As you can guess Ihave sent him a nice Email and copied in customer services as.
My Email is something along these lines:
It has been reported all over the world wide web that theVW's dieselgate fix is nothing but a fudge and with defeat device once removedemits 25% more pollution, the VW software fix has also been reported in that itcould damage the engines further” –
The European Commission has just recently claimed that thesoftware update puts more “stress” on the vehicles’ engines as reported by thousandsof owners that have had this fix and complied about Excessive Diesel knock andfuel.
Ending the mail to them with: before this software cheat fixis carried out on my vehicle I would want the VW group to guarantee in alegally binding way and without any time limit or prejudice, that the repairswill work and do not have any negative impact on my vehicle.
I look forward to your reply

Wonder if I will hear back from them :D

Crasher
17-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Awesome, you could have added "It ain't broke so I don't want it fixing-bog off!"

sacha35
19-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Awesome, you could have added "It ain't broke so I don't want it fixing-bog off!"

A great Quote from what my father used to say to me when I used to tinker with the cars ( If it ain't broke leave it alone )

It could get interesting if I do hear from Audi though.

Gmonster
31-12-2016, 02:13 AM
My car is going to have to go into dealers for repairs due to kamikazi cyclist.

Do you think they would dare apply the emissions fix even if I categorically stipulate that I do not want it?

Q7quattro
31-12-2016, 09:56 AM
Good question- Who knows?

The oil in my gearbox needs changing soon so I will have the same concern- Direct Action "Remove the man , Remove the Problem" - don't get the repairs done by Audi.

Would the change show up on VCDS or in software version shown on MMI screen ? (Perhaps someone who has had the change done could confirm)

If yes , do a full scan of the car with VCDS before dealer visit , and then scan afterwards and compare.

Gmonster
31-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Reason for going to dealer was to get pukka repair/paint/screen job done: I'm not paying (kinda) etc

I was thinking of putting on record; give them a short signed letter; that I don't want the fix applied?? Or is it better not to draw attention to this issue??

fest0r
31-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Only speculation, but I’m guessing the dealers are still under pressure from Audi (and obviously paid) to carry out the work. You would be leaving it to chance based on how busy they are if you don’t discuss it with them.

A letter is a good idea, but have an extra copy that you keep and get the service manager to countersign it. Put it in writing that if the emissions fix is carried out they will be fully responsible for returning the car to the previous state and if this is not possible, they will be liable to purchase the vehicle at full market value and also cover any other costs incurred. A print off on the passenger seat might be worthwhile too… works for me to stop the car being “washed” ;)

zollaf
31-12-2016, 03:10 PM
remove your obd port if you dont want it doing, or fill it with hot glue or something to make it very hard to plug into. if anyone questions it tell em its to stop the car being nicked.

Crasher
31-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Fit an OBD lock, they are readily available ont tinterweb

zollaf
31-12-2016, 03:43 PM
probably a better idea than filling it with peanut butter.

Gmonster
31-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Good info guys; letter/discussing it with them ...rather than leave to chance will be way to go.

Also like the idea of the port lock; shall investigate that... tho would need to have it soon... not keen on inserting chilli sauce/garlic butter into the port...

Silane
02-01-2017, 07:20 AM
I got another letter from Audi too. I can't understand why anybody would get this fix done. If the issue could be fixed by a software patch then Audi wouldn't have cheated in the first place, in my opinion it's not physically possible that the software update has no detrimental effect on the car.

But for arguments sake, lets say they came up with magic software patch that fixes everything and has no effect whatsoever on the car. The best possible scenario for the customer is that they get the car back exactly as it went in, but minus the cost of diesel and time to bring it to Audi. So even in the best case scenario the customer still loses.

Customers have nothing to gain here, in the best case scenario it costs them time and fuel. In the worst case they lose time, fuel, have decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and increased engine wear. All you have to do to not be affected by this whole mess it drop the letters in the bin, and let it be VAG;s problem, not yours.

Q7quattro
02-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Its there any way you can tell that the "fix" has been applied to your car ?

Gmonster
02-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Good question Q7; must be something on record in the system that they use to manage engine software updates? (is this VCDS? or something different)

The software versions you see listed in the MMI only pertains to the MMI? Etc

Q7quattro
02-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Good question Q7; must be something on record in the system that they use to manage engine software updates? (is this VCDS? or something different)

The software versions you see listed in the MMI only pertains to the MMI? Etc

Probably VCDS , perhaps it would show up in the module "Engine" - maybe someone who has had the "fix" applied could post a scan of the "Engine" module to compare ?

Silane
02-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Its there any way you can tell that the "fix" has been applied to your car ?

Do you have a myAudi account? When I log into mine it says I need the update done. Maybe that changes after it's completed?

Q7quattro
02-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Do you have a myAudi account? When I log into mine it says I need the update done. Maybe that changes after it's completed?

Yes, i have a myAudi account - never seen a reminder to get it done.

Crasher
03-01-2017, 01:30 AM
They put a sticker on the floor around the spare wheel well and in the back of the service book. The reason the recall should work in most cases is that the defeat software was present and not active in Europe, that doesn't apply to a few cases such as the CAYB and CAYC 1.6 CR TDI engines which are a peculiarity.

Gmonster
03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Going to go into Glasgow Audi tomorrow to start organising my insurance claim repairs.

Shall include in this conversation that I am not giving them permission/authority to carry out the emissions fix: shall update forum on there response.

fest0r
03-01-2017, 11:09 AM
I’m going to swap to Ayr next time for any work or servicing due to never having a satisfactory visit at Glasgow Audi. So my advice would be to mention it first, last and during every other conversation too. Have the print off on the seat/dash saying it’s not to be done and speak to the service manager... or whoever you got to countersign the letter.

First trip over there they ignored my verbal “do not wash” request, but the print off seems to work.

Gmonster
03-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Thanks again for advice Fest... Glasgow is my local dealer... and suits me best etc. To be honest they have been ok with me to date.. a few wee grumbles... on speaking terms with the assistant manager so will seek him out

Will also produce a wee summary letter... tho I think I will struggle to get them to sign up to anything that states they are financially liable etc..

bbrown1664
03-01-2017, 04:57 PM
As far as I am aware, all the "fix" does is remove the code that senses when the car is being tested. It does not change any of the settings that will affect the power/economy or torque.

My car was done last week and I haven't noticed any difference.

dave24
03-01-2017, 06:22 PM
If that is the case I wonder why my 1.6 touran needs a flow meter any one?
had my letter today to say service can be applied but I think if you do not get it done you will get more for car when you sell if you sell private as car dose a fantastic min 55 mpg and its a 7 seat car. This is our first vw but when car reaches 3yrs in September we are going back to Toyota in light of vw cheat an arrogance all over the world '

bbrown1664
03-01-2017, 06:29 PM
had my letter today to say service can be applied but I think if you do not get it done you will get more for car when you sell if you sell private as car dose a fantastic min 55 mpg and its a 7 seat car. This is our first vw but when car reaches 3yrs in September we are going back to Toyota in light of vw cheat an arrogance all over the world '

Do you really think Toyota are any different? All the manufacturers do it.

BTW, the air flow meter bit on the A6 is just a mesh upstream of the MAF to "straighten" the air flow.

Chris81
03-01-2017, 10:16 PM

Why would you move to a Toyota from owning an A6? Seems a strange move?

dave24
03-01-2017, 11:05 PM
very simple 30 years of Toyota ownership .

Crasher
03-01-2017, 11:07 PM

As I said earlier

that doesn't apply to a few cases such as the CAYB and CAYC 1.6 CR TDI engines which are a peculiarity.

It is an insert for the AMM, a "flow improver"

Crasher
03-01-2017, 11:14 PM
we are going back to Toyota in light of vw cheat an arrogance all over the world

You mean as in the Toyota who were party to the fatal Takata air bag cover up or the Toyoda (their real name) who topped the worlds list for recalls a few years back? Or maybe is that the Toyota that covered up an unintended acceleration defect that was linked to at least five deaths?
Toyota to pay $1.3 billion for deadly defect cover-up - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-20/toyota-pays-1-3-billion-for-defect-cover-up-statements/5332894)

Silane
04-01-2017, 08:43 AM
very simple 30 years of Toyota ownership .

Audi are saying, your car car has more power than it probably should, to get there we cheated a bit on the emissions front, you need to bring it back to us.

Toyotas are saying our cars might suddenly decide to speed up, if they do the brakes might not work, and if you crash, the airbags might not work either. I know the recalls aren't all on the same cars, but I know which brand I'd be sticking with.

Why do customers care about the emissions scandal at all? Your car is probably better than it should be because VAG cheated. You got more power and lower tax, and VAG are paying the price, that's win win

Crasher
04-01-2017, 04:25 PM
and if you crash, the airbags might not work either

Well actually they make work too well, as in they find your head on the rear parcel shelf.... :bigeyes:

Gmonster
09-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Solicitors Harcus Sinclair Ltd - VW Emissions Action: Anyone heard of the above group?.... that are looking for affected individuals to sign up for them to seek compensation on your behalf from the VW Group. I have started the registration process but am interested in other opinions on the benefits of getting involved in this??

zollaf
09-01-2017, 08:42 PM
read about it in a newspaper today. apparently 3 grand a pop for hurt feelings or some other ******. cos people thought they were saving the earth and wernt so vw owe them...

Crasher
09-01-2017, 08:45 PM
. I have started the registration process but am interested in other opinions on the benefits of getting involved in this??

Why do you think you are entitled to compensation? Why is anyone in the U.K. with an affected car entitled to any compensation? Serioulsy, please will someone, anyone, entligthen me as to why any compensation is due?

zollaf
09-01-2017, 08:47 PM
and lets face it, all people see is how much the tax costs, not what the emissions actually are. so yeah, some people have had to visit a dealer, ???

Gmonster
09-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Basic premis around you need to 'promise/commit' that you wouldn't have bought the vehicle... if you knew that VW were playing games on the emissions setup front..etc therefore seeking compensation etc

fest0r
09-01-2017, 09:43 PM
In other news:

New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/business/volkswagen-diesel-emissions-investigation-settlement.html)

The F.B.I. has arrested a Volkswagen executive in Florida, accusing him of playing a central role in a broad conspiracy to keep United States regulators from discovering that diesel vehicles made by the company were programmed to cheat on emissions tests.

The executive, Oliver Schmidt, a German who is the former top emissions compliance manager for Volkswagen in the United States, was arrested on Saturday by investigators in Florida on a charge of conspiracy to defraud the United States. He is expected to be arraigned on Monday.

After a study by West Virginia University first raised questions over Volkswagen’s diesel motors in early 2014, Mr. Schmidt played a central role in trying to convince regulators that excess emissions were caused by technical problems rather than by deliberate cheating, Ian Dinsmore, an F.B.I. agent, said in a sworn affidavit used as the basis for Mr. Schmidt’s arrest.

Mr. Schmidt deceived American regulators “by offering reasons for the discrepancy other than the fact that VW was intentionally cheating on U.S. emissions tests, in order to allow VW to continue to sell diesel vehicles in the United States,” the affidavit said.

Mr. Schmidt continued to represent Volkswagen after the company admitted in September that cars were programmed to dupe regulators. He appeared before a committee of the British Parliament in January, telling legislators that Volkswagen’s behaviour was not illegal in Europe.

Can anyone clarify if this cheat kicks in during Euro 5/6 testing? The UK is part of the scheme (at the moment anyway) which includes NOx levels.

Crasher
10-01-2017, 02:04 AM
Load of rubbish, come on, be honest, did you look up your chosen cars NOX emissions before you bought the car? Please, be honest with yourself. The vast majority of people who bought the cars had and still have no idea what NOX is, all they would have looked at is the Co2 class and how much they were going to have to give in taxation and judging by the numbers of people who take off emissions equipment, many would have joined in if it saved them a few bob. I knew full well what the truth IS about Diesel engines when our Loony Scots Chancellor Gordon "the moron" Brown lumbered us with the system we have and which we still have as it pulls in much needed funds for the treasury. The net loosers of "compo" hand out will be the consumer, jumping on the bandwagon just makes it worse and makes me angry.

zollaf
10-01-2017, 11:26 AM
the yanks have arrested a german for defrauding the usa ??? seriously. if this is right then there are many countries who could arrest america for the untold pollution they have caused, agent orange in vietnam for starters.

Crasher
10-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Or like when they vilified BP for the Deep Water horizon catastrophe when it was an American subcontractor who was responsible... They are a law unto themselves, too big for their own boots and could do with a bit of a slap to ground them.

fest0r
12-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Well now:

EPA Notifies Fiat Chrysler of Clean Air Act Violations | U.S. EPA News Releases | US EPA (https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-notifies-fiat-chrysler-clean-air-act-violations)

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today issued a notice of violation to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. and FCA US LLC (collectively FCA) for alleged violations of the Clean Air Act for installing and failing to disclose engine management software in light-duty model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0 liter diesel engines sold in the United States. The undisclosed software results in increased emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) from the vehicles. The allegations cover roughly 104,000 vehicles. EPA is working in coordination with the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which has also issued a notice of violation to FCA. EPA and CARB have both initiated investigations based on FCA’s alleged actions.

Fiat Chrysler used software to cheat diesel emissions testing, EPA alleges | Business | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/12/fiat-chrysler-diesel-emission-cheating-software-epa)