PDA

View Full Version : Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring

nolfese
01-09-2016, 01:57 PM
We moved to Spain in December, bought some land and a fresh car - Fabia 1.4 16V (2006)
Fantastic car. Anyway, it was impounded by the port police for two months - too long and boring a story to go into.
We've had the car back for about two weeks now and everything is fine except that two days ago it started to occasionally misfire when idling and also when driving.

Fuel filter?
Plugs?
ECU connector?
Coil/distributor problem?
Can I download a decent workshop manual for this engine?
Does this engine go by a particular name or refrence?

Any help or ideas gladly received :o)

Sam
01-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Welcome to VWAF :) or as the Brits in Spain say, Hello :D

We moved to Spain in December, bought some land and a fresh car - Fabia 1.4 16V (2006)
Fantastic car. Anyway, it was impounded by the port police for two months - too long and boring a story to go into.
We've had the car back for about two weeks now and everything is fine except that two days ago it started to occasionally misfire when idling and also when driving.

Could be any of your proposed ideas but...

The engine in the Fabia is used across the VAG range but there are a few variants. Do you know if it's the 75PS or the 101PS engine?

The wife's Ibiza has a BBY 1.4 16v with 75PS. I know my way round it fairly well after 13 years and we've experienced all manner of problems over the years.

When was it last serviced? If you don't know, get it done, it's a fairly simple DIY.

Any faults present/warning lights on? Either grab a code reader or get it scanned by someone.

nolfese
01-09-2016, 02:54 PM
How can I know whether it's a 75PS or 101PS engine?
Where is the OBD2 connector located for reading the codes?

Rob69
01-09-2016, 03:12 PM
OBD socket Should be right hand side of steering column, sort of above where your right knee would be, maybe behind a little lift down flap. service book data sticker should show the PS, maybe a sticker on the drivers door pillar or spare wheel well ?

Several years ago I bought a 2005 1.4 16V polo, think it was a BKY engine (maybe wrong) with 50 odd k on the clock which had been outside in storage for about 4 months, it ran fine initially but 50 miles into the 250 mile drive home it started misfiring ( and broke a front suspension coil spring!) . one of the coil packs had failed, AA man changed it then 100 miles later another one failed. I don't know if having the car standing for so long contributed to the packs failing ( damp ingress ???) and they all seem to be prone to failing eventually, but it seemed too coincidental to have two fail in quick succession. New coil packs cured it, you should see something with an OBD scanner.
hopefully it's something as simple as a coil pack and not throttle body or burnt out exhaust valves.

sorry - just thinking - left hand drive - it'll be somewhere round about the steering column though.

nolfese
01-09-2016, 04:02 PM
I found the OBD connector rather stealthily and cleverly hidden behind a flap.
Can't find a PS sticker. Only thing there is - reference to the engine power in the log book: 10.7CV 55KW
And how in the blue blazes do you take the engine cover (huge air cleaner) off. I suppose riving it is out of the question. It seems to have screws going up into it which are impossible to access with it in place.

Rob69
01-09-2016, 04:22 PM
the engine cover does just pop off, work it a corner at a time, you'll have to disconnect a small hose that goes into the filter box, but the cover itself is just held on with ball ended rods into rubber sockets. the screws are what holds the air filter inside the filter box. 55kW is the 75ps engine

Sam
01-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Rob's on the right track. Coilpack would be my guess too (I've changed all four over the years) but without a code read, I wouldn't throw money at it yet.

We had a front coilspring go too. Car was stationary on the drive at the time, almighty bang.

Rob69
01-09-2016, 05:36 PM
I did 3 front coils over the 40 k miles or so I ran it, got pretty slick at it, also did both on previous 6N polo. something about them maybe???

nolfese
01-09-2016, 06:16 PM
So I'll order a OBD2 CAN BUS code reader from ebay and we'll see what the ECU has to say.
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

nolfese
01-09-2016, 06:20 PM
So we've established that this the 75PS engine - even though it's a 1.4 16V, is that right?
Anyway, where would a man find a workshop manual for this beast? Preferably online of course.....

Rob69
01-09-2016, 07:02 PM
74.779 PS to be exactish.
get a Haynes manual off Amazon or trawl the web, I've had most of my questions answered here over the years though.

nolfese
14-09-2016, 11:03 AM
So then the code is 16706

16706 P0322 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit - No Signal

So that's either because:

a) the sensor is defective
b) the cable connecting the sensor to the ECU is defective
c) the ECU edge connector is making and breaking just where it ought not to
d) there is a dry joint on the ECU other board

What do you think guys?
The sensor is located in the worst place possible for changing it.
I don't suppose by any miracle the Haynes manual contains a decent circuit diagram? I have a digital scope, I could actually scope the sensor signal if I knew which pin it was. I think I need to build a pit......