PDA

View Full Version : Moved over to the dark side

Redcar01
30-08-2016, 11:08 PM
I have changed my Audi A4 Avant MY12 tdi to a BMW 320i Msport xdrive MY14 petrol due to an offer i couldn't refuse , glad to get away from diesel as its only used 10k a year and timing belt will be due soon.
Great car just a bit juicy on petrol and its got too many gadgets to work out how to work them all.

vwawudi
16-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Hmm.... I have always said never to beemers but....
Hope you're enjoying your new motor. Happy so far?

Redcar01
16-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Hmm.... I have always said never to beemers but....
Hope you're enjoying your new motor. Happy so far?

Loving it, its a better drive than the Audi, a bit thirsty on juice. MMI not as good to use Audi was easier.nice inside seems more solid. So far no regrets

Skezza
16-09-2016, 03:37 PM
To be fair, as someone who has only recently joined the Audi bangernomics club, you can't really knock Beamers, especially the old ones. A lot of car for the money and there's plenty around that have been kept in good shape. There's also a fair few around that have been thrashed and walloped, but just keep away from those and you're laughing. The new ones are just lush, the M3 is on another level.

My only feeling on Beamers is that they seem to cost a fortune when they go wrong, but I suppose that's the same for most 'luxury' brand motors.

vwawudi
16-09-2016, 04:03 PM
I think I've learnt a lesson now, no more keeping a car 'forever', costs money in the long run. The 'premium brands' are really expensive when they go wrong like you say.

Thinking of staying on finance now and changing when warranty ends.

Which beemer is looking good value for money and quality right now?

Skezza
16-09-2016, 04:27 PM
I think I've learnt a lesson now, no more keeping a car 'forever', costs money in the long run. The 'premium brands' are really expensive when they go wrong like you say.

Thinking of staying on finance now and changing when warranty ends.

Which beemer is looking good value for money and quality right now?

In my opinion, the e46's are outrageous value right now, in particular the 320d's. Before buying the Audi. I was looking at them, and it wasn't uncommon to see good nick models from 2004ish with less than a 100k miles on, FSH, for around £1500 to £2000. Kitted up as well usually. Obviously there were also plenty of chancers trying to get over 2k-3k but you'd regularly see them and the only thing putting me off was usually distance. I've always fancied taking a train to buy a car, but it's always risky. That said, you're talking a hell of a lot of car for the same money you'll buy a Midline/Lowline Bora or Golf TDi of the same era, perhaps the only benefit of the Bora being higher MPG. Those 320d's have a reputation for going forever though (as do the Bora's tbf).

The 318i's are also outrageous money. Not entirely sure why? Maybe because they're petrol and drink fuel a bit? You're talking about a grand for one with less than 100k. I guess at this point I'm talking in serious Bangernomics territory, but again they're good motors with super reliable engines. Throw in the fact the e46 (imo) is also a really tidy looking motor (although not as smart as the e30).

BMW's do seem to hold their value well until a certain age, then they seem to actually drop quite significantly. I was certainly caught between three or four brands: VW, BMW, Audi being the main ones.

To be fair, the car I wanted to buy seemed to change twice a day, so I'm just glad I eventually took the punt and bought my A4 ;) :D