PDA

View Full Version : Best wait to clean exhaust of oil after turbo failure?

patjf0
30-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Any ideas would be welcome?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

patjf0
30-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Oops auto correct, should be "Best way".

Crasher
30-08-2016, 12:05 PM
I drill a 3-mm hole at the back of each silencer and then park it on the slope in our car park, when it stops dripping I run the engine and weld the holes up when it stops smoking. Even then it takes what seems forever to stop smoking and it makes driving embarrassing, especially after the recent.... err, troubles...:aargh4:

Taking the system off can be a pain depending on the car model (what is it?) as some systems have to be cut to get them off and then a sleeve used for re-assembly. If we have the budget to take it off, we plug one end and fill the sections with a very strong mix of powerful TFR and give the sections a good shake and then serious pressure wash, but even then the system smokes and steams for a very long time. You could have it professionally cleaned by a DPF cleaning company but I bet that would be £200 so you could be best served by cleaning the cat and replacing the rest of the system as the cat will burn off anything left over quite quickly, the rear box takes the longest to burn clean.

chrisvrscrx
30-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I just drove smokey for about 2 thousand miles ����

patjf0
30-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that. The garage drilled some holes as you suggested. Not too much smoke compared to when the turbo went, that was like a steam train! The car is an A6 C5 1.9 TDI PD130 AWX.