PDA

View Full Version : MK1 TT - reliability

the.dude
18-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing an Audi TT, Mk 1 around 4 years old. I was talking to a chap who works as a technician for Audi dealers and his advice was to steer clear of the TT as it was plagued with problems. To his account it was 50/50 as to whether you would get a good one or one with problems ??.

Are there any TT owners out there and what are your experiences ?
Are they really as bad as this chap makes out ??

Any views much appreciated.
Thanks.
Dude

fishface
26-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing an Audi TT, Mk 1 around 4 years old. I was talking to a chap who works as a technician for Audi dealers and his advice was to steer clear of the TT as it was plagued with problems. To his account it was 50/50 as to whether you would get a good one or one with problems ??.

Are there any TT owners out there and what are your experiences ?
Are they really as bad as this chap makes out ??

Any views much appreciated.
Thanks.
Dude

I bought an 04 Model Roadster last December and haven't stopped smiling since!
Any make can have it's rogue examples but if you choose wisely and make sure it's got a full service history you should be alright.
I found an immaculate very low mileage model which had a good feel about it.

Anything with above 50K on the clock needs a cam belt change and as an added precaution a new water pump (apparently easy to do it at the same time). The only other things are early models had a batch of faulty dash pods but Audi usually exchange these FOC and coil packs but these are simple to diagnose and an easy diy change for under £30.

Go on get it you know you want to, then come and join us here at the TT forum where you will find anything you need to know and a very friendly lot too > http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/

ghw
28-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi,
2.5yrs ago I bought an '01 225 roadster with 18k on the clock. At 27k the Haldex went (the chip that controls the 4wd), which cost me £1k (Audi eventually met the other half of the cost after I threw a track in the showroom).

Have had few other problems too.

At 60k the clutch master cylinder went (8hrs labour & £800 via a friend), now at 63k and the electrics have developed a random intermittant fault, which has included all the electrics cutting out on a sharp (fast) bend and locking me out on 2 occasions.

Nice car. Shame about the quality.
Can't really recommend them despite loving it.

the.dude
02-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, any other views out there ?
I am still considering what to do.

fletch
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the replies, any other views out there ?
I am still considering what to do.

hi mate i am selling a y reg 2001 silver 225 bhp TT coupe if you interested look in for sale section or email me for details

fletch_uk@blueyonder.co.uk

mluton
05-11-2007, 08:25 PM
2 of the directors at my work have TT's. One has a 225 1.8T and the other has a 3.2.

Neither of them have had any problems since owning them. Cambelt on the 1.8T was the only real cost to the one.

Great motors and better looking than its mk2.

Audi4Life_28
06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
2 words dude "Bullet Proof".
TT's are like Ricky Hatton, undisputed pound 4 pound best value for money coupe you can get.
I've owned a 225 for 5 years and had no problems with it ref reliability.
Dash Pod a side (which I'm trying to get a refund having paid out of my own pocket for it to be fixed) I've had know problems with it. You don't happen to know of anyone on here who can direct me in the way of obtaining the evidence that prooves Audi have admitted liability do you?

Get some 18"s on it and, make sure you get the Bose Sound System if your budget allows, then its all good.

Hope this helps.

fishface
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Dash Pod a side (which I'm trying to get a refund having paid out of my own pocket for it to be fixed) I've had know problems with it. You don't happen to know of anyone on here who can direct me in the way of obtaining the evidence that prooves Audi have admitted liability do you?

Useful info here>http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=56080

and lots more too!

mluton
06-12-2007, 10:14 PM
make sure you get the Bose Sound System if your budget allows, then its all good.

Agree 100%, the best car sound system ive heard.

Audi4Life_28
07-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Nice one I'll look into that link.
You're a star.
L8r

koolxpaulx90
27-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi, my name is Paul,
ive read ur posts and replies from other people.

i'm thinking about buying a TT that is at least 2004 or newer, and i was wondering about how things went with ur purchase??

and how is the reliablilty on ur TT?

Thank you!!

Audi4Life_28
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the dealyed response dude I've had a broken hand since the start of november and have only recently had my cast off.

Ref my purchase, everything went sweet as a nut as I bought the TT off my friends dad.
Reliability has been 2nd to none. I had a few teething problems to start (the dash pod issue which is well documented, & the ciggie lighter playing up), nothing too worrying.

I've had my motor since 2003 and never really had any mechanical failings. The hyd feed on the clutch went one time but that was due to a dented pipe, Audi replaced it which only cost £50.

Overall I would say you will have trouble free motoring untill the car hits around 150k miles then as normal you'll need to treat it with TLC.

Hope this helps, good luck.

A4L

koolxpaulx90
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
THANK YOU for your responds!!

audipersempre
17-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I bought a 2001 180bhp TT for my partner and we kept it for 2 years. Never saw the common dash pod problems but the Haldex control ECU did fail. Fortunately it was replaced under warranty saving £1,000.

A real blast to drive, handles fantastically, excellent Audi build quality. Only sold it on because it was the Roadster with only 2 seats and we needed four. It's been a year since it went and my patrner still says she misses it even though she has an Audi A4 Cabriolet 3Ltr Sport as a replacement!

I have also owned several BMW's including a 325i coupe. Loved the straight six engine but in every other respect the TT was better.

That's my opinion for what it is worth.