PDA

View Full Version : New black edition

10peters
24-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Hi

Looking now to buy black edition instead of sline. Appreciate any views bit concerned regarding ride quality on 20 inch wheels don't like the look of the 19 inch wheels

Akash
24-08-2016, 02:52 PM
I went from a C6 on 19" to a C7 with 18" (initially) - C7 was comfortable compared to the C6 but put this down to the new chassis/underbody components so to speak given that it was not only a C7 but a the facelift and hardly any miles.
That went faulty and got it replaced with another C7 19"...no difference in comfort
I then replaced the 19" with 20" rotors... and to me, I still notice no difference in ride comfort compared to the 19 or 18" wheels especially given the crashy ride of the C6, I find the C7 a heck of a lot better - in all cases, the cars were all s-line spec

I would go for a test drive if you can - I guess if you're coming from a non-audi, you will find it a little harsh?

10peters
24-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Many thanks for the reply

pany
24-08-2016, 03:25 PM
I've got a BE on 20"s but went with the middle spots suspension not the s-line suspension. So far done 30k in a year on mixed roads and don't find it crashes through rough roads and neither do passengers.

Widwow
24-08-2016, 03:36 PM
I have just purchased a 2015 BE, 10 months old, on 20 inch rotors. I thought the ride initially was good, comparable to 18" wheels on my older Skoda VRS. That is until, I just inflated the tyres to 41 psi. I shall be dropping them back to 38 pretty sharpish, as the ride is really solid and the transmission of road noise and bumps is quite significant.

I do have further concerns regarding the 20 inch durability as the car ages, I don't trust UK roads and this will force me to using a quality tyre continually. On previous cars I wouldn't favour a premium tyre brand, but with hind sight, I will continue with a similar model of tyre both in price and brand. I may choose more in line with efficiency and lesser road noise - to a minimum standard/brand. I do believe the tyre is just as important as the wheels in understanding ride quality.

Akash
24-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Funnily enough - my concerns over larger wheels were down to the durability of the car itself in that harder the ride - the more impact the various panels get compared to a fat tyre with low alloys somewhat cushioning the impact. This could be all in my mind but logically thinking, it makes sense ... no?
But...having said that, the C6 on 19" was very crashy due to the older style suspension and that at 90,000 had not a single rattle in any of its panels so clearly they're built to last but also handle the impact from our roads.

What I do not like about the 20's are the cost of rubber - I had the unfortunate screw that ended up in mine last week and it was close to £200. Very annoying as the fitter mentioned it still had 8mm to go...thankfully I took out the alloy/tyre insurance with the car so only lost the £10 excess.

Brand-wise, I tend to stick to what it came with ... C6 came with continental and I stuck with them until the near end where I tried the Barums which apparently came out the same factory as conti.
The first C7 FL was on Dunlops and the replacement FL is on Pirelli

ukgroucho
24-08-2016, 08:35 PM
C6 S-lines were notoriously crashy. I had an SE for exactly that reason.

Don't think it is fair to compare C6 with C7.
However, the bigger the wheels the more expensive the rubber and the more likely you are to need alloy wheel repairs. I understand that low profile tyres can improve handling a little, but realistically - on busy, busted up British roads - that is not a reason I would suffer the downsides; expense, reduction in ride quality and scuff potential.

Maybe try to find a 19" wheel that you like...

Mansfieldmark
25-08-2016, 12:16 AM
I have a new BE saloon on 20" twin titanium's with sports suspension and the ride is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Magoo
25-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Im on 20's on Sline Suspension, and have no problem with ride quality. If anything the car feels more planted than standard Sline setup with 18s, I found that to soft, and not engaging enough for me..