PDA

View Full Version : iPod usage on latest model A4 Ultra

MikeCL
24-08-2016, 12:56 AM
I have recently - well ok, end of July - bought a 2016 model A4 Ultra and absolutely love it. Fuel consumption currently averaging 60 mph !!! I love it so much, I've done over 3k miles since I bought it. Only issue is that my third generation iPod - which worked perfectly in my 2013 model A4 I previously had, will not operate in the new model. It will charge from the USB port - and I can play it using a 5 mm lead out of the headphone sockets, but I can't use it with the media menu as before. Anyone have similar issues - or better still a solution as to how I can operate it safely using the inbuilt software which the handbook says can access iPods?

spellsinger
24-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I've had problems concerning artwork displaying correctly (with iPods ranging from final gen click-wheel to latest 128gig) - different issues with different generation iPods, however I haven't had problems with basic functionality. The only thing I can suggest is trying a different cable (there is an unproven suggestion that using an Apple branded or certified cable may help).

For what it's worth I hadn't had any problems with Audis (going back to 2007) or other marques from 2009, the only substantial difference with the current Audi is the use of the Gracenote database and Apple Carplay (although Carplay isn't applicable to iPods, only iPhones).

Also -- check that the iPod socket isn't clogged with fluff/lint etc..

Audi, by the way, blame anyone but themselves...

MikeCL
24-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the info. The dealer has said the Audi cable might work but as it is plugged into a USB socket I'm a bit sceptical. I'm using the Apple cable but no recognition. Since the dealer is getting the cable on a try before I buy basis I shall be interested to see if it does sort things. Good idea to check my cable status - although the ipod will charge via the USB. Everything was great on the previous model.... so fingers crossed for now :)

spellsinger
24-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Try and try (is that good English?) their/your new cable & device in another car, if they'll let you - at least eliminate another possibility. As for your cable charging, don't forget that not as many pins are required for charging as are required for data transfer.

Regarding my iPods - 5 Generations incl. one click-wheel, combination of Lightning and 30-pin connectors, two previous Audis and two other marques, all worked great - yet it isn't a problem with the car....

So - I am with you, it worked on an older model why not the latest. AND your 3rd Gen iPod has long since reached its final Apple firmware update, so nothing to trip up Audi.

MikeCL
25-08-2016, 12:00 PM
All noted. Thanks. I'll update in due course.... Cheers. Mike

sotondjt
25-08-2016, 08:24 PM
HI I have a Classic iPod 160GB. It works OK with a MY16 A4. The only problem I have is with Audible books. Sometimes they play at the wrong speed.

spellsinger
25-08-2016, 09:29 PM
HI I have a Classic iPod 160GB. It works OK with a MY16 A4. The only problem I have is with Audible books. Sometimes they play at the wrong speed.

Hi, when scrolling/searching albums does the album artwork display (on the right hand side of the main screen)? My artwork (on a Classic) only displays once the album has been chosen and is selected and playing.

MikeCL
26-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks for letting me know. Are you using the standard Apple USB lead? Chees. Mike

spellsinger
26-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Thanks for letting me know. Are you using the standard Apple USB lead? Chees. Mike

Not sure if this is directed to me, yes I tried with Apple supplied original cable and also an Apple certified cable from another maker, both worked the same. I did have a problem years ago (obviously a different car) with a cheapo cable, but don't know if it was faulty or just not very good.

sotondjt
27-08-2016, 09:06 AM
The album art only appears when a track is selected. Not while scrolling through.

spellsinger
27-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info - must be a "Classic" thing. All my "Touch" models show artwork while scrolling - but poorly, some artwork is missing (replaced with Audi-generic) and for some reason compilations (with different artists) are the worst regarding scrolling, almost universally missing the embedded artwork - just to reiterate these are issues that never occurred with previous Audis.

Paul Nisbet
27-08-2016, 08:45 PM
Just reading the spec for my order, it comes with the LED interior pack as standard as well. Pretty cool.

Parking system plus and I think parking cameras - "Camera and/or distance sensor (driver assistance system)"

iambu
28-08-2016, 06:34 PM
Parking cameras are not standard on A4s. That will be the forward facing "camera" in the windscreen which it uses for Audi Pre Sense (which is standard), aka emergency city braking (the standard system only operates at low urban speeds)

Paul Nisbet
28-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Right, just noticed I posted this in the wrong thread. Thanks though 😉