PDA

View Full Version : Removing the MMI controls / centre console trim in 2016 A4

jimbof
22-08-2016, 09:33 PM
A friend has spilt fizzy pop in his MMI controls in his brand new 2016 A4 (I think it actually is a B9?), which has gummed the button action (ouch). I'm trying to sort it for him, and have a complete set of plastic bojo pry tools, but for the life of me can't get the trim off the top around the MMI - it seems totally stuck around the two peaks of the cup holder cutout, and that pulling it is just going to snap something.
Had a look around the ERWIN site but the 2008> interior manual looks totally different to his centre console, which has the MMI controls between the cupholder at the front and the gearstick at the back.
I've managed to release the entire top trim apart from the two areas highlighted. It almost feels like they've screwed it down from the underside (perhaps to reduce component theft risk?) or come up with some fiendish clip which needs prodding somewhere to release.
Any help appreciated.

Kestrel
22-08-2016, 11:02 PM
I have only been on this forum for a few days.
I believe this to be a UK forum and yet I keep seeing Americanisms and the above photo appears to show a left had car.
Am I missing something?

jimbof
22-08-2016, 11:05 PM
That most stock photos of Audis are LHD as that is how most of them are actually made in the factory?
I added the arrows to the stock photo. I don't have my mate's car in front of me to take a pic of the real centre console.

Kestrel
22-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Thank you for the info `jimbof`.

bosduif82
23-08-2016, 09:13 AM
I have only been on this forum for a few days.
I believe this to be a UK forum and yet I keep seeing Americanisms and the above photo appears to show a left had car.
Am I missing something?

The Internet is quite "international" nowadays. Even if OP is from the UK, would it be a problem if he wasn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kestrel
23-08-2016, 09:33 AM
Absolutely not.
I was just trying to understand how things were here.

m.cash
19-02-2017, 04:02 AM
I have hit the same stall, did you ever find a solution ?

cCsGoldCoast
05-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Here is the solution guys. Hope this helps someone.

The thin plastic trim panel that un-clips up to the cup-holders holders is deceiving. You actually don't need to remove this at all and there is screws that hold it on up the top. It comes up with the panel underneath. To pop this up undo the 8mm bolt under the silver trim panel just behind the gear select. There is a T20 bolt under the gear select palm rest as well (just 2 clips hold this on) once they are both removed simply use your prybars to pry up both layers of panels around the gear select. Unplug about 6 plugs and it'll come out pretty easy.

Good luck!

Ben - cCsGoldCoast