PDA

View Full Version : Question MMI & Maps Update

TimA6QSline
22-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Hi,
I've just upgraded from a C6 to a C7 BE Avant (2013) with MMI 3G Plus (separate sim in dash) and Bose.
I have read a lot of information on this forum and others and am still confused regarding mmi and map updates....:confused:

I currently have;
HN+R_EU_AU_P0614_2
8R0060884AR ECE 6.15.5

MMI:
I understand that I need at least 0707 to enable the use of the in dash sim for data and Bluetooth to mobile for calls.
As expected, my local dealer is clueless on this and as there is no necessary update for my car on their system, 'computer says no' - even though I was willing to pay for it. After providing them with the part number for the SD card with K0900 (that they confessed to not knowing even existed!), they are willing to sell me this. I have also seen it for sale from another vendor on the internet slightly cheaper (professes and looks like the genuine article).
So, can I carry out this update myself (how?), can I go straight from P0614 to K0900? What is the process, and is there anything watch out for? I also have the Bose system, and I've read some bits that indicate that this may be a concern.

Maps:
Local dealer has said that they can update the maps for me to the 2016 version at a cost of approx. £250. They reckon it takes about 45mins, which doesn't seem to match what I've read so makes me wonder about their knowledge/ability....
Vendor mentioned above is also selling the 2016 maps (good deal combined with MMI sw), but again is this something that I can install myself?

All help and advice greatly received.

many thanks

B5NUT
22-08-2016, 12:25 PM
You take a risk of updating the MMI system yourself and you could be left well out of pocket. See this thread MMI completely broken - what to do? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/171092-MMI-completely-broken-what-to-do?highlight=failed)

These sellers of the MMI software & maps don't' care less if the update works or not. Also they are charging for pirated software, and if you google around you can download all this for free.

TimA6QSline
22-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Looks genuine - Audi updates sat nav maps dvd sd card 2016 firmware activation (http://www.audiupdates.com/#!product-page/cg7d/d0d341d7-334f-5ad3-1aef-e5443335762e)
If its not and I buy it from Audi what's the risk? Seeing as dealer will not do it...

B5NUT
22-08-2016, 01:12 PM
You can buy the same card from Audi at a cheaper price. Any software update has risks. I've done dozens of updates over the years, and have bricked modules, You just have to be aware there are risks and replacement module (new) will run you into 4 figures.

Also the link you have posted is the A4/Q7 software version you need the A6/A7/A8 version.

TimA6QSline
22-08-2016, 01:17 PM
just posted link as example - think it is genuine? My dealer quoted £40 for it. So how do I get the software upgraded if Audi won't do it?

B5NUT
22-08-2016, 01:43 PM
There is no other option, other than trying another dealer that will perform the update. Some dealers know about the update that will allow the data sim & BT to work together.

M1tchy
22-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I recently updated my software to 770 with no issues. If you're interested I can sell you the SD card for £35 posted - with instructions so you don't have issues with your Bose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twaters
27-08-2016, 06:33 PM
My local Audi Dealer quoted £180 for the upgrade from 2013 to 2016 maps, I think not realising that they also needed to upgrade the MMI software from 0614 as well. I paid for the upgrade which they installed but as they didn't update the software the 2016 maps weren't 'activated'. After some discussion the dealer's Service Manager agreed that the MMI software also needed updating. They did this free of charge whilst the car was having some repairs. I'm now on 0900 which allows in dash sim for data and Bluetooth to mobile for calls. BOSE still works fine.

I understand from the dealer that the MMI update from 0614 to 0900 took at least half a day.

RhysoTDI
28-08-2016, 07:48 AM
I updated my MMI software and it took just over an hour to complete

AT.
28-08-2016, 08:28 AM
I updated my MMI software and it took just over an hour to complete

It depends on you car's configuration. My car's 0770 update took about two hours, without the map update.

RhysoTDI
28-08-2016, 11:15 AM
It depends on you car's configuration. My car's 0770 update took about two hours, without the map update.

mine went from 5** to 0900 and took just over an hour. Had a few heart stopping moments as the MMI rebooted itself several times and there was one point when I thought it wasn't go to reboot.........

still need to do the maps maps but I'm loathe to pay over £200 for that!!

TimA6QSline
20-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Well car developed a problem with the dab radio module. Went back to garage where purchased (Fontain) who not only fixed the problem by replacing the radio unit, but also upgrade the sw to k900 for me. Top chaps at Fontain and based on my experience I would definitely recommend them.
Just need to decide if the £200-250 cost for the map upgrade is worth it or not....

ukgroucho
21-09-2016, 01:47 AM
I understand from the dealer that the MMI update from 0614 to 0900 took at least half a day.

This is quite possibly true BUT it is NOT half a day of labour... the problem is that they probably need to keep the car either hooked up to their maintenance kit or in clear reach of a strong WiFi signal to do this and it is likely blocking one of their service bays - which is an issue for them.

I suspect that this is why some dealerships say they cannot do these updates on older vehicles... In reality it is an hour of labour (the minimum they charge) but the car has to sit in a service bay for an hour or two hours or half a day while the update completes and they just don't want that as it could be another vehicle (or two) in that bay that they are charging full on labour rates for. And the maintenance income is a big deal for Audi franchises.