PDA

View Full Version : Question Coolant leak

MadUKDiver
04-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Wife's Audi A3 Sport 1.8 TFSI S tronic, new in March 2013, less than 30,000 miles. So just out of warranty :mad:

Coolant level warning came on a few days ago so I topped it up, didn't need much probably less than 300ml.

Today the Emissions Warning came on so wife drove straight to the local dealer. After treating her in a most patronising fashion they declared her A3 to have a coolant leak from the thermostat seal. And apparently the Emissions Warning is a red herring caused by the escaping coolant dripping on something.

Good to have a confident diagnosis but they quoted nearly £800 (!) to fix it because "it's really difficult to get to and over 3.5 hours work".

I have no reason to doubt the above but I find it hard to believe that the original seal was "fit for purpose" (or of merchantable quality) to fail over such a short period. The dealer even admitted this is pretty rare. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If they are doing this work I already said "you will change the water pump too, won't you?" which brought the reply - "yes, of course for another £70". Is there anything else that should be changed while they have access to the "hard to reach" part of the engine - timing belt for instance?

Thanks

watronik7
05-08-2016, 08:45 AM
I have had similair issue with my A7. Out of warranty I did not bother to speak with Audi after previous never ending saga with them. So over 3 months time my car was 3 times with my local third party mechanic and: 1st visit - thermostat hoising was replaced due to visible coolant leak - £350, 2nd visit - water pump replaced - £170, 3rd visit - expansion tank replaced and caps -£100. Finally no more leaks but still unacceptable like for A7 with 70k miles on clock

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Alan02
05-08-2016, 01:02 PM
Thats a helluva labour rate, for a coffee or two in a cozy reception area while the super computer tots up your bill! Jesus! I'll do it for half that, lying on me back on the drive.
But seriously, it cant be worth that!
If your car is out of warranty you should be quoted a discounted rate...... I hope that first quote was a mistake.
I took mine into Audi for an AC fault to be sorted by non audi dealer under my warranty and Audi receptionist called me up with costs..... initially £197 ( im not far off!!) / hour! I laughed at him!
He then called me back once he had come to his sences and quoted the correct ( much) lower rate. I think he is quoting you the warranty rate they charge back to audi uk.

noscream
27-11-2016, 04:16 PM
I have had similair issue with my A7. Out of warranty I did not bother to speak with Audi after previous never ending saga with them. So over 3 months time my car was 3 times with my local third party mechanic and: 1st visit - thermostat hoising was replaced due to visible coolant leak - £350, 2nd visit - water pump replaced - £170, 3rd visit - expansion tank replaced and caps -£100. Finally no more leaks but still unacceptable like for A7 with 70k miles on clock

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is so funny, My 2011 A6 C7, first visit water leak filling expansion tank every 2-3 days, water pump changed £300, new system antifreeze and water fill, 2 weeks later water still going down investigation, EGR bypass valve (for the cooling water to EGR water jacket) failed, access meant one bank of V6 inlets off to access, don't ask but it was something like £500, fill system with water-antifreeze again, 4 weeks later, you guessed it water puking out of car, bottom radiator hose split, apparently the second visit needed a pressure test to the system and they guessed it may of weakened the hose, new hose, third system fill anti-freeze and water in 3 months..... they did not charge for the water & antifreeze, nor the labour, only the hose... must of taken pity on me because I had to be recovered for that one on a low loader as it's a quattro with no coolant.

So Audi's do have a poor reliability history according to JD Powers surveys (pos.22 from 24 manufacturers), but 3 water leaks... I smile now....
but cooling system is not AUDI'S best point and that inc. the Emissions system as it is cooled too....

fun guys.