PDA

View Full Version : Question Clicking noise when pulling out at junctions

KevinA6
04-08-2016, 12:34 AM
Hi all,

I have an 2015 A6 Sline BE. I noticed from very early on in ownership that there is a clicking noise coming from the front of the car when pulling out at t junctions. Sounds like the drive shaft as it is more noticeable if I need to accelerate quickly from a standstill when the steering wheel is partially turned in either direction. I have never heard it when accelerating in a straight line.

I asked Audi dealer to check it when it was in for service but they trotted out the line "we could not replicate the sound/issue"

Anyone else had this issue.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Kevin

HAWKS
04-08-2016, 07:44 AM
I would go back to Audi and ask to speak to the service manager. Tell him that you want to take him out in the car. That way he will hear the sound in the conditions that makes it happen. They should then be able to fix it and test drive the car to make sure it's safe and fixed. When a cv joint is on its way out it will click under load on an angle. I would want to have it fixed pretty quick tho.

KevinA6
04-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Strange that the clicking has been happening from new though?

Kevin

HAWKS
04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
All the more reason to get it into Audi ASAP.

KevinA6
08-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Hoping to get to dealer tomorrow to have the noise checked again. Has any one else had a similar issue, happens in both directions?

Kevin

Jackblack
09-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Will likely be drive shaft/Cv joint i had similar but that was after a kerb bash and was not a factory failure. Same experience pulling out from junctions with wheel on lock click click click got progressively worse. New drive shaft / Cv joint fixed the issue.
It'll be covered under warranty in your case.

KevinA6
17-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Diagnosed as left cv joint as expected. Strange for a failure so quick. Only 35,000 km on the clock and have been hearing the symptoms from new pretty much.

Kevin

KevinA6
01-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Update: car went in Tuesday to have the left cv replaced even though I had told them that the noise seemed like it was coming from the right. Anyway what would I know as they had already had the car in for diagnosis a couple of weeks before.

Called to pick it up and had a chat with the SA and he said all was fine cv replaced and test driven by 2 people. All good I thought.

Hoped into car and as I pulled out of the dealerships Click, Click , click!!!

Went straight back in and told the SA that the car had not been repaired. I think he thought I was joking at first! He arranged for service manager to go for test drive with me again and in the end he has agreed that they repaired the wrong side and that they should have repairs the right side as I had said. Booked in for right side repair tomorrow morning so fingers crossed that it'll be sorted.

On another note was chatting to a friend who had another 2015 Sline a6 and he had his in 2 weeks previously for the same cv repair. There must be a common fault there somewhere...

Kevin

KevinA6
03-09-2016, 11:26 AM
All sorted after yesterday's visit to garage. Both sides now replaced so hopefully that's an end to the clicking [emoji106]

Kevin