PDA

View Full Version : worried about a6 c7 mentenance prices

johnro79
29-07-2016, 12:20 PM
just got a quote for front discs and pads replacement. 585

wow

any of you guys got better deals in south london area?

thanks for your time

JamesMo
29-07-2016, 01:29 PM
What year and model is it? If it's more than 3 years old Audi have advertised fixed prices on pads and discs - for a 2.0TDI the front disc/pads are £299 fitted which I don't think is bad. If you put your reg number in on service section of the Audi website it should give you a price. Alternatively find yourself a good independent - there a many advertised on this site, who should be cheaper still.

johnro79
29-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Hi

It's a 63 reg, January 2014

Its the 2l sline black edition a6

johnsimcox
29-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Hi

It's a 63 reg, January 2013

Its the 2l sline black edition a6
Definitely eligible for fixed price servicing Fixed price services (https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html#/fixPrice?id=16&serviceCode=SERMIN). Also remember if you get a written quote from a local independent using genuine Audi parts then Audi dealers will match the price

johnro79
29-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I typed it wrong. Car was registered back in January 2014

JamesMo
29-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Id suggest you ask the dealer why the price halves in 6 months time... How many miles has it done? When I changed my last a6 in March it had done 54k miles and there was no need for discs and pads. Has the wear warning light come on?

rowdy-999
29-07-2016, 08:24 PM
New discs on a 2 year old car?
I have original discs on my nearly 10 year old car. They need replacing soon. I can get TRW (OE VAG) discs and pads for under £100.

johnro79
30-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Id suggest you ask the dealer why the price halves in 6 months time... How many miles has it done? When I changed my last a6 in March it had done 54k miles and there was no need for discs and pads. Has the wear warning light come on?

Light came on a week ago

I was told fronts are 95% worn and rears 65%

Car has 78k miles, don't know if they were changed before or not. Car has automatic transmission

rowdy-999
30-07-2016, 08:47 PM
Light came on a week ago

I was told fronts are 95% worn and rears 65%

Car has 78k miles, don't know if they were changed before or not. Car has automatic transmission

95% worn pads. Ask them for exact disc measurements.

Alan02
31-07-2016, 09:22 AM
A rowdy mentioned, I would be asking on what basis they need replacing. Its easy to say they need changing possibly because of a lip on the discs, but if they arent worn out, or close to being, it'll only take a bit longer to bed-in the new pads.

zollaf
31-07-2016, 09:26 AM
from the point of view of a garage, yes, the discs might still be within tolerance by a fraction, so new pads would be a possibility, but will the discs last another set of pads or will the job need doing again before the new pads have worn out because the discs are too thin because then you have the risk of the customer driving around with thin discs which if left can be dangerous. so if the discs are close to or on their limit, best to replace the lot and be done with it. these days its not uncommon to for a set of discs to only last one set of pads. in fact some cars use such poor quality discs that 30,000 miles and they are gone.

Rob69
31-07-2016, 10:55 AM
You'd regret not getting the disks done at the same time, as you'll have that weird feeling while bedding in, and they will be shot by the time the next pad change is due. change them together and you'll have nice sharp brakes from the start.

rowdy-999
31-07-2016, 08:16 PM
I don't agree there is any point in replacing parts which are within a service limit. If you have money to burn do it, I don't, so I'll spend an extra day bedding them in, and after that have brakes that work perfectly.
If they're warped or too thin yes, but otherwise its the garage trying to make money.

zollaf
31-07-2016, 08:22 PM
not really fair to say its the garage trying to make money. if the discs need replacing in a year because they are thin yet the pads are only 20 % worn, then the garage will again get the blame. contrary to popular belief it is sometimes the garage trying to look after the customers best interests. i have had to bin plenty of pads that are quite serviceable because the discs are just beyond it on a service and you cannot fit old pads to new discs unless you are as tight as a rats a55, but i have to think about the fact that the car wont be looked at again for another 12 months and are those brakes going to last that long. if the answer is no then they get changed, simple as that. if you look after your own car then you can time it to get the best out of them, but for a paying customer you see once a year you can't. tell them to come back after 2000 miles and you see them after 3000 miles being recovered in when a worn out pad has dropped out and it costs them a pair of calipers as well.

Rob69
31-07-2016, 08:45 PM
I'd be more cautious of a garage that fitted new pads to borderline or half worn discs and said nothing, like a woman's Kia Sedona I looked at a few months ago, they'd done a real cheap, quick n dirty pad change, nothing cleaned up and the caliper sticking on the pins. She was happy for a month or so after the job was done then collared me off guard at the school gate when it started binding, I should have known as you could smell the car coming.
I think the garage here is acting in OP's best interests, looking at longevity, although not prices I'd like to be paying for front brakes, but then my cars tend to be older and further down the food chain. Also depends how it's driven and annual mileage etc as to how much longer the original discs might last.

rowdy-999
31-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Yes a garage should, and tend to more these days, air on the side of caution.
Maybe I'm just tight

Rob69
31-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Not necessarily !! - I think there's lots of things to factor in, like how long you might keep the car, and the condition you might like to sell it in, or kids shoes and school uniforms needed that month :aargh4:. Some folks like to have everything as close to 'as new' as possible, with shiny discs rather than rusty lumps etc. Some just want the thing to move and pass MOT's.
Hopefully the garage can discuss sensibly and advise accordingly, regarding likely remaining disc vs. pads life.

Alan02
02-08-2016, 12:17 PM
It all boils down to the integrity of the tech. advising the work I think. Give an honest opinion and let the customer make an informed decision. And hope its the right one.

Sam
02-08-2016, 12:41 PM
After years of forums, I still find it amusing that people are constantly surprised a £40k+ vehicle is expensive to run.

B5NUT
02-08-2016, 01:30 PM
After years of forums, I still find it amusing that people are constantly surprised a £40k+ vehicle is expensive to run.

You see a lot of that on the C6 side, people buying cheap S6 for around £11K then complain at the running costs, or have to sell the car as spares or repair when something goes wrong with the V10 engine.

zollaf
02-08-2016, 01:37 PM
surely though, if a car cost 40 grand then its made from special stuff that never wears out so will never go wrong or need fixing ? thats why its a 40k car in the first place.

A6S
02-08-2016, 02:04 PM
surely though, if a car cost 40 grand then its made from special stuff that never wears out so will never go wrong or need fixing ? thats why its a 40k car in the first place.

It's £40k cause it has 4 rings on the front grill. 😄
Audi leads you to believe that it's made of special stuff so they can charge you a fortune for replacement but they are no different to the stuff that's fitted on £10k cars.

B5NUT
02-08-2016, 08:04 PM
It's not just the 4 ring tax...

Take for example a simple component like CV boots. Now I know that Audi don't make CV boot's but they do require a set quality from the supplier (GNK being one), so you can buy a cheap boot from eurocarparts for £6 and it will last a year, or you can buy the £30 one from Audi and it will do many years and around 100K miles. You are paying for a level of quality.

zollaf
08-08-2016, 11:25 AM
I have just had to replace discs and pads all round on an insignia. the pads were fine, less than 30 % worn because they were changed about 10,000 miles ago, in a vauxhall dealership. problem is, the brakes were really noisy and that was down to the state the discs were in. fronts were on their minimum thickness, rears well below, very rusty and proper lips on both inside and outside. now, the customer has money so wasnt phased about me changing the lot, his mrs drives it mainly, with his daughter, so he wants it safe. what he was upset about was the fact that the discs wernt changed before. he wasnt even given the option. if he had left it until the warning light came on then he probably wouldnt have had any discs left.