PDA

View Full Version : Got my new car but have some questions...

bluetba
18-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Well I have my new car - its a Passat 07 S TDI

Did a 6 hour drive yesterday and have to say that i am impressed, very comfy, performance was better than I expected (last car was a Vectra sri 1.9cdti 150) and interior looks good and spacious.

Couple of questions though which I am hoping someone could help me with..

I have no handbook so sorry if I ask something that is covered in the handbook (this will be my next purchase)

I have an ESP button which when pressed doesn't seem to do anything, I was expecting a light on the dash board to tell me it was off but don't get anything?

How can i tell what stereo is in there?

I have done a search but cant find much, does anyone have any tips on fitting a blue tooth car kit, how do I get the stereo out to have a look at the back? do I need an adapter or can I just tap into the wires?

Cheers
Chris

Quatrelle
18-10-2007, 12:56 PM
HI.
Bad news, no handbook. Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, and apologies in advance, but have you looked in its little cubby-hole in the top of the glove box?

Ebay might be cheaper than VW if you do have to buy.

Sam
18-10-2007, 01:11 PM
If it's an 07 I presume it's a new purchase - the handbook should be there, if not give VW a ring and ask for one, I wouldn't pay anything myself.

I think you may have to hold ESP down, but I'm not sure. Does the switch itself light up?

As for the headunit, this thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10505) may help

lesleystoddart
18-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi

We took delivery of our new passat on 1st September (TDI SE) to replace our rejected, leaky (but much missed) Eos. Here's a bit of what our manual says about ESP -

"The electronic stabilisation programme helps to reduce the danger of skidding. In order to ensure that ESP functions correctly, all four wheels must be fitted with the same tyres. Any differences in the rolling radius of the tyres can cause the system to reduce engine power when this is not desired. The ESP should generally be left switched on at all times. The ESP should only be switched off in specific situations by pressing the button ESP OFF, if the level of traction reached is not sufficient - eg, when driving in deep snow or on loose surfaces, when rocking the car backwards and forwards to free it from mud. You should press the button to switch the ESP back on when you no longer need wheel spin.

Sorry can't really help on your bluetooth or stereo queries. There is a booklet in the manual regarding the stereo, but having had several different VW's over the last few months, from Polo to Touran, it seems to be typical VW issue.

Hope this is of use to you.

Lesley

carl s
19-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I've been using the new Autoglm Aqua wax recently. It seems really good, has kept the car pretty clean (it stays significantly cleaner longer since I used it) and has kept the windows clean as well (just don't use it on the front or back windows!) The beauty is you can apply it when damp so it's kind of a lazy man's car wax.

http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/product-proddetail.asp?v06VQ=HJ&Range=99

bluetba
22-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Quatrelle, no I hadn't checked there but have now, and it was empty - nice idea I have always struggled to find places to stash the book etc.

Yup pressed and held the ESP switch and I get a light on the dash!

Its a pain about the book, the car has done 1700 miles and is ex VW fleet so wasn't new but nearly, so no go on the book, but the radio code was missing as well, I am hoping that a quick call to someone who knows someone at VW will be able to track down the code, if not another trip to the dealers to find the code :mad:

Once I have the code for the radio I can then tackle the car kit, I now have all the information I need so hopefully that will go swimmingly!!!

Thanks for the suggestions :beerchug:

Quatrelle
22-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Re the handbook - you say the car is ex-VW fleet. Was it bought from VW, if so, as 'mycarsavw' says, ask the VW dealer to get you a book (free).

I paid about £25 for an English one on ebay - couldn't be bothered with 400pp of French!

bluetba
23-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Gonna go down there today and see if I can get the book, gotta ask them to get a code for the radio as well, as I expect you were thinking couldn't get it from VW at all but I tried!!

chrisvw
27-10-2007, 10:37 PM
I presumed the radio codes were redundant as my card says the code is 0000, which doesn't seem very secure.