PDA

View Full Version : What's the CD changer...

b0redom
18-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi All,
Just bought a Passat TDi highline 2004/04. It has a VW Gamma tape/radio, and dash mounted 6 cd stacker system. Can anyone tell me what make the stacker system is, and if I can control it from an after market unit?

I'm looking for something which does bluetooth, mp3, and possibly satnav.

Cheers...

Baron_Samedi
18-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Off the top of my head I don't think the CD changer can be controlled by a third party head unit as it takes its information over the data bus from the Gamma unit.

Luke
06-11-2007, 12:03 AM
I wanted to do the same with a 2005 Touran and, from what I've googled, seems the options are:

1 - replacing the OEM head unit and replacing the changer altogether - so complete aftermarket solution
2 - buying an iPod and iPod kit
3 - buying a USB interface from Connects2 (sockets for USB drives or MP3 players)which plugs into the back of the head unit and can be controlled by it - but think then the changer is obsolete

What you can't do is swap the CD changer for an MP3 changer, apparently. And I think all the parts in mine are made by Blaupunkt - the RCD300 head unit certainly is.

Hope that helps

Luke

Froggy
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
The factory CD changer is made by Sony, but uses the normal VW protocols - Blaupunkt certainly make an adapter that will allow their head units to talk to the changer (Part No 7607 596 550).

However it's not that cheap, so you may want to way up your options.

You can fit a Double Din unit - Pioneer AVIC-HD3 is an awesome bit of kit, that will do everything.

Luke
06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Oh! Thanks Froggy.

Looks like the xcarlink lead is what I need - basically same piece of kit as the Connects2 thing.

All I am trying to find out now is

1 - how does it allow the CD changer still to work? Surely you unplug the changer lead in order to plug in the new USB lead?

2 - too amateur to do it myself, so looking for a good fitter in N London.

Ta

Luke

Froggy
06-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I haven't seen the unit, but I believe it has a In/Out socket arrangement whereby you plug the changer into the box, and have another "changer" lead from the box to the back of the head unit.

The box then has the USB connection on it as well. What I don't know is how you switch between the 2 items?

Luke
06-11-2007, 12:19 PM
You got it - thanks Froggy.

Just heard back from xcarlink and that is the crucial difference - the Connects2 does not have a CD changer input as well as an output lead. On xcarlink you switch between the two by pressing the 'CD' switch.

Luke