PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Key Antenna in Centre Console FIXED!!! ...and I'm made up!

Big_D_80
22-07-2016, 07:48 PM
So i took my MY16 Q7 into the dealer today and they applied the software update which covers: passenger air bag warning light, software gateway(?) etc
After 6 month of it driving me mad, i am over the moon to say that the incredibly annoying ticking noise from the key antenna that has been randomly tick, click, tick, ticking away, plaguing me for months has been resolved!!!:banana:

I feel like i've got a new car again! Amazing! and amazing customer service from Cheshire Oaks Audi - top marks to those guys...
They also replaced my wipers, gave me new plates (because the old ones where slightly scratched), topped up my ad blue and oil levels, did a health check, valeted the car and gave my wife and i a couple of presents for the baby we are expecting any day now - all for absolutely nothing! Outstanding customer service and i'm made up.:arms::arms::arms::arms:

dragos29
26-07-2016, 10:15 PM
I started to hear clicks from the dashboard few days ago. I thought it was from the air vents plastics, which overheats in these hot days and on the A/C it starts to cool and clicks.

Could you be more specific where is placed the key antenna in the dashboard?

Big_D_80
26-07-2016, 10:17 PM
I started to hear clicks from the dashboard few days ago. I thought it was from the air vents plastics, which overheats in these hot days and on the A/C it starts to cool and clicks.

Could you be more specific where is placed the key antenna in the dashboard?
It's under the plastic key tray in the centre console, between the gear stick and the arm rest.

Chris Jerman
27-07-2016, 08:44 AM
My wife says she always hears the mmi screen clicking as it struggles to go up or down , it's random she said but it's never happen to me , maybe it's this key thing clicking instead and just a fluke it's at the same times as screen lowers . Will have to get audi to look at it when it goes for it's first service .
She also complains that the rear offside door doesn't close properly and has to re close it with a slam yet for the life of me I can't get it to fail to shut even if I only use my little finger !

andyhud007
27-07-2016, 09:07 AM
So i took my MY16 Q7 into the dealer today and they applied the software update which covers: passenger air bag warning light, software gateway(?) etc
After 6 month of it driving me mad, i am over the moon to say that the incredibly annoying ticking noise from the key antenna that has been randomly tick, click, tick, ticking away, plaguing me for months has been resolved!!!:banana:

I feel like i've got a new car again! Amazing! and amazing customer service from Cheshire Oaks Audi - top marks to those guys...
They also replaced my wipers, gave me new plates (because the old ones where slightly scratched), topped up my ad blue and oil levels, did a health check, valeted the car and gave my wife and i a couple of presents for the baby we are expecting any day now - all for absolutely nothing! Outstanding customer service and i'm made up.:arms::arms::arms::arms:

Hey Big_D.. thats great news.

Yeah the software update you have had is an official warranty based Audi Campaign coded "64E1".

It fixes:

• Door control unit: monitoring of door contact switch
• Gateway: diagnostic check for airbag warning lamp <- This is your passenger air bag warning light you mention
• Front camera: optimised calibration function
• Convenience control unit: convenience close function for windows
• Steering: diagnostic check for steering warning lamp

Mine is going in on Friday morning this week for it also. Its basically general "bug fixes". I'll listen out to see if the clicking disappears for me too after the update but the technical documentation doesnt explicitly state that is fixed, but good news if it is!

Great work on your dealer... very good service... :beerchug: (and congrats on the new arrival any day now mate!)

Cheers

Andy

rob_ldn
28-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Good to hear, I just called by always unhelpful dealer and they have said my car is showing no update available, they want me to bring it in so they can take the centre dash off and 'look at the part' which I know is just nonsense.

Do you have any sort of reference for this update so I can point them in the right direction?

andyhud007
28-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Good to hear, I just called by always unhelpful dealer and they have said my car is showing no update available, they want me to bring it in so they can take the centre dash off and 'look at the part' which I know is just nonsense.

Do you have any sort of reference for this update so I can point them in the right direction?

Rob, tell them its "Audi Campaign 64E1" and give them your VIN. If your car is eligble for the campaign it will show up on their system

Andy

Edit: Yep, removing centre dash is codswallop... (ooh, not used that word in a while...)

Big_D_80
28-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Rob, tell them its "Audi Campaign 64E1" and give them your VIN. If your car is eligble for the campaign it will show up on their system

Andy

Edit: Yep, removing centre dash is codswallop... (ooh, not used that word in a while...)

Yep that's the fix you need. All solved with software no need to remove anything physically. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyhud007
29-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Had 64E1 applied this morning... all seems good so far. Noticed Pre-Sense kick in on a straight road with a little hump in it on the way back (Pre-Sense set to "Medium" in MMI). Didnt put the anchors on though...

Also noticed Reverse seemed to "engage" a split second quicker (may have been my loaf) than previously when I reverse onto driveway. I'll keep an eye on that, might not be related to 64E1.

Will check if "clicking" noise has gone later today from inside cabin.

Andy

MichaelF_33
10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Hi Andy

I just wanted to ask you whether 64E1 has helped to remove the "clicking" noise in your case. My dealer has updated my car with 64E1 a few weeks ago but it didn’t help and I still hear that noise from the central console. Since we have a small baby I drive without a music almost all the time, so it is quite annoying to repeatedly hear that noise. Haven’t you heard about any other way how to fix this? I will be grateful for any help.

Many thanks!

Michael

andyhud007
10-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Hi Andy

I just wanted to ask you whether 64E1 has helped to remove the "clicking" noise in your case. My dealer has updated my car with 64E1 a few weeks ago but it didn’t help and I still hear that noise from the central console. Since we have a small baby I drive without a music almost all the time, so it is quite annoying to repeatedly hear that noise. Haven’t you heard about any other way how to fix this? I will be grateful for any help.

Many thanks!

Michael

HI Michael and welcome

Sadly no, even after 64E1 I still hear the clicking noise in the cabin... it hasnt gone nor changed/improved at all...

I'm afraid I dont have any other fix etc for it that I'm at least aware of other than raising it again with your dealer or Audi HQ.

Apologies

Andy

srbsq7
10-10-2016, 08:30 PM
Hi all,

Was just on Audiworld and if the same issue, could be a fix on the horizon

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161010/dcec60be00c0c53311a12010559ddcf5.png

andyhud007
10-10-2016, 10:06 PM
oooh nice find SrbSq7.... I'll see if I can check that TPI out!

noxqzs
11-10-2016, 02:45 PM
I am getting my vehicle back today from service, and they specifically said they located the TICKING noise and were changing a module. I will update thread with results later today.

edit.

I took my vehicle in for the first service and they did all the recalls during the process. In addition to the recall, there were a couple of software updates. Looking over my service report, it does show that I asked about the ticking noise in the center console, but to be honest I doubt they did anything besides listen for a couple of seconds. Nothing in the report shows anything related to it. They did in fact replace a 'diagnosis interface for data bus gateway' (US part number 8W6-907-468) but they mentioned they had a problem during software update when their laptop shut off. Im hoping that the software update takes care of this problem, but Im not holding my breath for it.

The good news is that they didn't change any of the VCDS tweaks or disable Video in motion.

t1sh
12-10-2016, 03:58 PM
oooh nice find SrbSq7.... I'll see if I can check that TPI out!

Andy, where one can find such info? :)

Having this annoying ticking as well. Although it keeps me on alert. It is almost like free feature! :)

andyhud007
13-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Andy, where one can find such info? :)

Having this annoying ticking as well. Although it keeps me on alert. It is almost like free feature! :)

T1sh, apologies for delayed reply

Audi (or the VW Group) are actually moving all these kinds of information (Service Campaigns / TPIs etc) to their online portal called erWin.

Link to ErWin here: https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do

In the past its been downloaded to the local dealer on an offline system that makes a connection back to Audi HQ but now its all going online.

The advantage here is anyway can access it, but at a cost. You (like I have done) can sign upto ErWin and pay a "flat rate fee" to access the Site for a specific amount of time, for example 24 hours.

You can then go through it and find a wealth of info about your car, campaigns etc...

I use it every now and again but I have the offline (older) system also until it expires no doubt once they transfer everything to erWin fully.

Hope that helps

Andy

t1sh
13-10-2016, 01:44 PM
I thought so! :)
I found the site and registered yesterday.
I am going to call the dealer to tell them about this annoying ticking sound and also quote the TPI number just in case they are not aware of...nothing new here, I would guess

noxqzs
13-10-2016, 04:27 PM
I did some more searching on ERWIN and came across this Technical Bulletin relating to the ticking noise.

andyhud007
13-10-2016, 04:37 PM
That is a great find Noxqzs!

Svm codes are inputted into the computer at a dealer which then deal with that specific issue. Im going to try recreate it now.. I'm not sure I have the problem or not!

Edit: Yep, after watching (or should I say) listening to the video link in that TPI I can confirm thats defo the noise I have!

Great work!

andyhud007
15-10-2016, 07:46 AM
FYI.

My dealer has confirmed there is a UK version of the TPI above for UK cars that have this issue. Mine is lined up to have the fix on the 20th.

andyhud007
20-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Guys. I can confirm the UK TPI for this does exist and the fix works. No more Ticking in my dash. It does an update on module 46 for the techies amongst you.

Apologies I don't have TPI number for the UK version of this fix but if you tell them it exists they will find it.

Cheers

Andy

P. S. It moves the Ticking I believe to the rear of the car instead of the dash... Lol

I will say however that the green (P) icon that used to come on in the cluster when you come to a stop in traffic now doesn't at all. This didn't work initially for me either until I had campaign 64E1 applied. It's like it's gone again.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161020/6f1ad1ed7a8c8c7f6dec67820f3477d2.jpg