Scenario -
I stop the car at traffic lights.
The engine stops (stop/start)
I engage the parking brake.
I leave the car in Drive.
I take my foot off the foot brake.

Question -
Does the engine immediately restart?

No - and this is different functionality from older models.

satsu
22-07-2016, 09:42 PM
No - and this is different functionality from older models.

But. . . pretty much all the time it does seem to restart the engine for me in this scenario whereas if I keep my foot on the brake pedal the engine stays off. This is the one major annoyance with an otherwise pretty well thought through system.

spellsinger
22-07-2016, 10:47 PM
That is very strange as we had a 2013 & then a 2014 Q5 and I found it annoying that you could never put the parking brake on without the engine re-starting. With the A4 it was something we immediately noticed as a positive.

Could others chime in with their experience?

hmy7k
24-07-2016, 09:07 AM
But. . . pretty much all the time it does seem to restart the engine for me in this scenario whereas if I keep my foot on the brake pedal the engine stays off. This is the one major annoyance with an otherwise pretty well thought through system.

I have the same model as you but I also have hold assist, I can take my foot off the brake and the engine stays off until I lightly touch the accelerator.
I have always found it works perfectly.

Kestrel
24-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone.
I get the feeling that I'll just have to wait until I get my car (Sep 1st) and see what happens.
Regards
Mike.

xtremist
24-07-2016, 01:21 PM
No, your car will not restart.

Kestrel
24-07-2016, 01:44 PM
No, your car will not restart.

Thank you. I do hope you are right.
Regards
Mike.

spellsinger
27-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Just to add - I stopped and engaged parking brake (in Drive), the engine remained running - after about 10 seconds the engine cut-off.

Mike

Kestrel
27-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Just to add - I stopped and engaged parking brake (in Drive), the engine remained running - after about 10 seconds the engine cut-off.

Mike

And remained off until you wanted to go?
Was your foot off the brake for the whole time the engine was off?

Regards
Mike.

spellsinger
27-07-2016, 11:00 PM
And remained off until you wanted to go?
Was your foot off the brake for the whole time the engine was off?

Regards
Mike.

Yes and Yes to both questions, it was only off for no more than 20sec (at traffic lights), started when I pushed the accelerator.

Mike

Kestrel
28-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Yes and Yes to both questions, it was only off for no more than 20sec (at traffic lights), started when I pushed the accelerator.

Mike

Fabulous news.
Thanks, Mike.

ILikeJam
16-08-2016, 10:28 PM
I've had a 1.4 Sport Avant Manual since the beginning of June and not one single time has the start/stop kicked in. Not once.

Doesn't seem right, but it's a fleet car and it's nothing major so I'm not too bothered. Just find it odd!

srbsq7
17-08-2016, 01:38 PM
My start/stop didn't work for a while. I read there were a number of things that could stop it activating E.g battery level, sport auto mode and air con. In the end it turned out that the max aircon button was stuck on although the blowers didn't come on full after restarting. When I changed the setting it started working again.