PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 - Petrol or Diesel

Audisim
21-07-2016, 06:21 PM
This is my first time posting here, so greetings to all!

I'm in the market for a used Audi A4 saloon. I'm checking Mobile.de since the prices there are so much cheaper than back home (I'm not from UK). I'm doing about 8k miles/year, so the only reasonable option, so I'm told, is a petrol car. The thing is, though, used diesels are much cheaper than petrol versions. My budget is around €15k, and for that kind of money I should be able to get a decent 2011 diesel. If I go for a petrol version, I need to get a 2012+, since 09-11 are known to have oil consumption problems, and that means at least €17k for a semi-decent one. I plan on driving the car for at least 5 years, more if it works properly.

So my question is, do you think it would be foolish of me to buy a diesel version, will I destroy it with mostly city driving (DPF should suffer a bit, I guess.. but then again, I can make the wife happy and take her on a trip every other weekend, that should sort the DPF problem) and considering diesels are said to be more expensive to service, would I benefit from the €2k I save now or would I end up loosing money in the long run?

Thank you for your answers!

Audisim
22-07-2016, 11:47 PM
I guess 'petrol vs diesel' topics have been discussed to death in the past, hence the lack of feedback. So let me rephrase. Can anyone who services their cars by independent garages give me a rough estimate on how much it costs per year to service your Audi? By that I mean regular stuff like oil change, filters, etc.. plus the things that need to be replaced, like various sensors(supposedly they are a bit iffy) and other things that are prone to dying prematurely. Is there a significant difference in price between petrol and diesel Audis? So, petrol and diesel owners, can you tell me what it costs to keep your cars running per year?

Thanks again.

rowdy-999
23-07-2016, 08:51 AM
In the UK diesels tend to fetch a premium over petrol models. As for servicing costs etc it would be unwise to compare UK to Slovenia prices.

Audisim
23-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Hey rowdy, thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree, servicing costs should be cheaper here than in the UK, but I'm after the difference between petrol vs diesel. And if for example an A4 costs roughly £600/year for regular+smaller stuff that should translate to about 400-500€ in SLO.

rowdy-999
23-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Fixed price services (https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/fixed-price-services.html#/fixPrice?id=8&serviceCode=SERMIN)