PDA

View Full Version : OBDeleven news

wolek76
21-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Hello everyone.
Just thought I'd let you know that the OBDeleven device/software had been updated.
Now, we can access central comfort module (46) and change quite a few things...
Here are some screens...
Have fun tinkering :D

srbsq7
21-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I've largely ignored these posts as had concerns about messing things up and the cost of getting the kit.

Is obdeleven safer to use as it only exposes known configs as opposed to the tool Andy has that allows access to everything and therefore more risky in the hands of an idiot like me!

Sounds like this could be a good option if this is safe. Is it just €55 plus access to an android device? I would need to get hold of one as I'm all Apple. Is there a cheap android tablet that works?

Anything else to be aware of? Can Audi easily spot you've been accessing it?

wolek76
21-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Some good questions Srbq7 :)
I think the device is as powerful as Andy's toys so I believe one could be able to mess things up proper if they don't know what they're doing.
Thread carefully please.
It does have a "history" section so you can work out what you've changed and go back to original settings. AFAIK the "revert changes" function is being worked on so eventually it'll get safer...
Can Audi tell.... That's a $1000 question... IMHO they can. It won't matter if you do it via this device or any other (vcds etc). I'm sure I've seen a counter somewhere saying something about the amount of "recodes/adaptations". Whether Audi isactively looking for that I don't know...
Andy would be the person to ask I think.
What I personally like about this device (apart from price obviously) is the fact that most of options have some sort of human language description to them. That helps a lot. I remember playing with my mates vcds and it didn't seem that obvious sometimes.
Hope that helps. :)

JMB7
21-07-2016, 11:17 AM
That's awesome news, my car went into dealers today to gets a lights fault looked at. I asked if they would make the time required to press button to open boot longer and even gave them Andys code for it and they said they probably wouldn't be able to do it.

Can do it myself now we can access module 46 :)

andyhud007
21-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Thats great news.. I'm glad to see its constantly being developed!

For the price and what it can do, its a great device for the casual user that wants to do some tinkering and enable/disable some harmless bits and pieces. Can you do damage with any of these devices? Sure you can, but if you follow guides etc you pretty safe.

Can Audi tell? The answer to that is yes, BUT only if they go looking for it. If for example I took my car into a dealer for a service which has lots of coding changes done on it, they wont know I've changed anything unless they specifically go looking for it.

Basically Audi HQ in Germany have a copy of everything in your car as it left the factory, including how its all been coded. If the dealer for example applies a software update to a module (for example, seat memory module) it can sometimes reset the coding back to its factory settings because when it does the update it sets it back to what it was when it left the factory. Is it a problem, not really. You just go back in and set back your bits afterwards when you get home.

Does it affect your warranty? IMO no it doesn't, but one could argue its a grey area. In 8 years of doing this and taking my Audi's into dealers for stuff done under warranty I've never had a problem/issue arise from my coding. Most of the time they dont even know you could do it, let alone done it.

JMB7 - That is crazy, but I've seen that 100 times over. Some dealers just dont want to get involved in doing anything that arent supposed to. They stay strictly in their 'swim lanes' if you will. Some dealers on the other hand have no issue, especially if you find one with a technician who likes this sort of stuff. Just change that Adaption value yourself, it will be fine.

Wolek - The "friendly" names you mention that make things easier to understand, I couldnt agree more, but are they descriptions under Coding (the Bytes/Bits) or under Adaption or both? Been keen to know (EDIT: Just seen your screenshots say Adaption at the top. Adaption channels all have better "descriptions" in them in any product like VCDS. Its all the other areas of the modules that dont!)

I have 2 ODBEleven devices actually as I was keen to understand what it could do, however the first one didnt want to connect to my car and so they sent me a replacement and neither does that one but all my other dongles work fine.... I'm still trying to sort out with them.

Hope that adds a bit of clarity.

Cheers

Andy

wolek76
21-07-2016, 11:54 AM
It's a shame with your device Andy...:(
I was silently hoping you'd get that just to make our (mine) lives easier ;)
As for descriptions...
You can have it either way. Either you choose bits and bytes (no descriptions then) or flick a switch in the app and then you are greeted with plethora of options active/not active/disabled/not installed etc. Then you can see what you're tring to change.
There are obviously some differences. I.e. I did try to change the time of long press for boot opening (as on OP screens).
It does show 800ms value but if you want to change it you need to choose a value between 0-256. Which obviously is not miliseconds anymore but rather a digital representation of the length of time required.
That was my next question to you Andy.... do you know what's the max that you can put in there? This way I could work out the rest I believe...
Greets :)

andyhud007
21-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Hey Wolek,

yeah I know. ODBEleven support have asked me to try the 2 devices I have on another Audi, so I just need to find one. I know a friend with an A4 so I'll try on his when I get a chance

Adaption Channels (the ones with friendlier wordings) are separate to Coding (the bits and bytes). They are mutually exclusive. Sometimes a feature needs both coding + an adaption channel change.

Think of coding as "on/off" and Adaption as alterting a value to a different one.

Strange about the time to boot opening. The value in the boot module that controls it only accepts milliseconds (ms), so you have to input it in 'ms'. E.g 2000ms for 2 seconds like on my coding thread. If the ODBEleven app only lets 0-256 then my guess is the device is reading the channels and reporting them back but the app doesn't (yet) recognise what value types it can accept.

I would ask them as they may say that 0-256 can represent milliseconds, but you just need to know what that value is you need to input

The max setting for that adaption channel is 5000 ms.

Andy

wolek76
21-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks for this Andy. Will try to tinker later this evening.
Need to go now as I really have to do some work...
Been swanning around the site all morning pretending to be doing something while checking out this forum..... disgusting :D :D :D

JMB7
21-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Apparently I got a good tech working on the car as he's changed the boot opening time for me.
The service receptionist has said that the max they could set it too was 4 seconds :(

andyhud007
21-07-2016, 04:47 PM
sounds about right... 5 was in VCDS, but perhaps in the Audi official system its only 4 seconds... I'll test both and let you know tomorrow.

But good job.. I knew they could do it :)