PDA

View Full Version : Headlight beam deflectors

bingoking
13-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Having just discovered that in order to change the beam patern on my A8(fitted with Bi Xenon lights) I have to have this done by a dealer and it involves removing the front wheels and the wheel arch liner and other bits before they can get access to the little lever inside the fitting which alters the beam. I have seen the computerised workshop manual so I know they are not just trying to fleece me.
On my previous 3 cars, all BMW 5 series I could do this myself as the lever was easily accessed.
I am not convinced that the one size fits all beam deflectors that Halfords supply will do the job and there are no lines on the glass to follow.
Can anyone suggest any after market products that are on sale which would do the job.
Failing that, I suppose I will need to wait for a dark night and do the Blue Peter stuff with old toilet rolls, squeezy bottles and sticky tape... but where will I find a responsible adult to supervise!
Come on Audi, make these simple things accessable. :aargh4:
Brian

Huweth
13-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Before giving Audi a lot of money to do it for you, you could try buying those beam deflectors from halfords, and just move them around on the lens to see if there is a place you could fit them. Just because there are no marks on the lens to go by, doesn't mean it can't be done (hopefully at least!).
Let us know what you decide to do.

bingoking
13-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Huweth.
I have no intention of giving Audi any money to do this for me.
I will give the Halfords beam deflectors a go.

A6 Le Mans
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks Huweth.
I have no intention of giving Audi any money to do this for me.
I will give the Halfords beam deflectors a go.

Aparently the 'stick on' beam deflectors you can buy in Halfords don't work with Zeon Lights.

Might keep the old bill happy on the continent though if they are stuck on.

cablecar
18-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Did you solve the headlight problem for driving on the continent?

Any help would be appriecated, like yourself I have had 3 BMW where you just flick a switch.

I am off tomorrow so any response would be great.

Cablecar

A6 Le Mans
18-08-2007, 10:02 PM
The packet from Halfords says they work with all types of lights, however went to le Mans a few months ago and didn't bother sticking them on at all, as when I used them on the continent before, I was still dazling on coming drivers, but again, might keep the old bill happy if you are stopped.

Sorry can't be more help than that.

Mike G