PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal over centre spring?

Bikerman
17-10-2007, 07:48 PM
The clutch pedal on my Golf (1.8 CL '92 (K)) went down to the floor and stays there. Thinking it was the cable, I've replaced it. Problem still exists? In the Haynes manual it mentions the "over centre spring" on the pedal? Is this the big spring which compresses between the rear of the pedal and the bulkhead? (There are no pictures of it in the manual!) Is there another spring which should be attached to the pedal?
When the pedal first hit the floor there weren't any loose/broken parts hanging off or fallen into the footwell?
Any help appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Jamie.:(:(:(

andrew.butler57
17-10-2007, 08:19 PM
sounds like the problem could be gearbox end! when fitting the new cable you should of found some tension in the cable or difficulty to fit! try moveing the lever on the gearbox with your hand, if you find excessive movement then your fault lies inside the gearbox.

Bikerman
18-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Andrew,
Thanks for the reply. I reckon you're right with your diagnosis of the problem being at the gearbox end. Explained the situation to a mechanic and he seems to think it could be the pressure plate? That's well out of my range of abilities, so it'll have to go to my local mechanic.
We live and learn, eh?
Thanks again.

Jamie.